• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[GUIDE] Make Your Own Boot Animations

This is a discussion on [GUIDE] Make Your Own Boot Animations within the Boot Animations forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Themes category; Make Your Own Boot Animations Since Android 2.0, the android boot animation has been modified to make it easier to replace or customize. And the ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] Make Your Own Boot Animations

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Twitter
    fish1552

[GUIDE] Make Your Own Boot Animations

Make Your Own Boot Animations
    Since Android 2.0, the android boot animation has been modified to make it easier to replace or customize. And the great thing is the Xoom’s resolution allows for some very detailed images if you’d like.

Getting Started
    You will need a few tools to get started. The first is some type of graphics editing software. There are free options out there like GIMP (GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program), so there is no need to buy something. The second tool you’ll need is 7zip or some other program that creates ZIP files, but 7zip is free: 7-Zip
    The display of the Xoom is a 10.1-in. WXGA (1280x 800 pixels; 150 pixels / inch) & HD 720p. So the image sizes you make should be 1280 wide x 800 high.

Creating your files
    I tend to put my images into 2 separate folders so I can have a sort of intro that only plays once and a main part that loops until the OS is loaded. This isn’t mandatory though - you can actually put everything into 1 folder and just loop it. Name the folder(s) part0 & part1. I personally like to use the last few images of the first folder as a sort of transition between the 2 sections.

There are sites that will tell you that the files must be pngs. But you can make the jpegs too and it won’t affect the outcome much. The advantage to using jpegs in my opinion, is the file size. I’ve used png files and my zip file was 50MB, while my jpeg zip file was only 2-3MB. I do make & save mine as png first, then just convert them later so I can come back to them and tweak them later if needed. But use whichever you prefer.

To name your files, start with the file name “0001.jpg” or “0001.png”. Then each image should just increase by 1 until you complete your sequence. I try to keep mine below 75 images to once again keep the file size smaller. Just make sure the part1 folder file names start where part0 left off. In other words, if the last file name in part0 is 00030.png, the first one in part1 should be 00031.png.

The limit per folder (at least for the Xoom) seems to be 130 images in the bootanimation. If you go over that number, you will get stuck in a loop. (Thanks to Serpico for confirming this)

Once you get the image files divided into the folders as you’d like them, you need a small text file to tell the system how to play the images. Create a text file outside of the part0 & part1 folders called “desc.txt”. This folder will include the following:

1280 800 24
    p 1 0 part0
    p 0 0 part1

Let's break down the parts of the file:
    Width Height Frame-rate
    p Loop Pause Folder1
    p Loop Pause Folder2

In other words:
    1280 x 800 resolution & 24 frames/sec
    p 1 (loop once) 0 (no pause) part0 (folder images are in)
    p 0 (loop until done loading) 0 (no pause) part1 (second folder)

Changing the pause # from 0 doesn’t seem to make any change. Also, the "p" at the start of the second and third line seem to only be a placeholder. Nothing I've found explains what they are for and changing them doesn't do anything but break things.

Creating Your Zip File
    After you get the desc.txt file as you want it, go back into your 2 folders and ensure Windows didn’t create a “thumbs.db” file. If so, delete it or else you will get a white flash in the middle of your looped animation. If this is your first boot animation, I suggest just copying the desc.txt file from another bootanimation. I’ve uploaded one here: desc.zip

**To disable the thumbnail caching, follow the steps at this link: Prevent Windows XP from Creating the Thumbs.db Thumbnail Cache Files***

Now go back to the folder where you can see the part0, part1 & desc.txt files and using 7zip, add all 3 to an archive file. Make sure your settings for Archive & Compression look the same as this image (name can be anything you want for now):

The most important part is to make sure the compression method is STORE, not Normal, Fast, Good, etc. If it’s set to anything else, it may give you boot loop problems. Congratulations, your boot animation file is now finished.

Installing & Testing

How to Install Using Root Explorer
    1. Download the boot animation file
    2. Rename to bootanimation.zip
    3. Using Root Explorer, copy bootanimation.zip to /data/local (make sure to rename existing file to bootanimation_bak.zip)

How to Install Using ADB
    1. Download the boot animation file
    2. Rename to bootanimation.zip
    3. Copy to your "Tools" folder that contains adb commands
    4. Open Command Prompt and enter the command below
    Code:
    adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local
    Then to test:

Code:
    adb shell bootanimation

I’ve confirmed that you do NOT need to be rooted to change your boot animation, although you will only be able to do so using ADB. To install a non-developers version of ADB, follow the instructions here: Setting up ADB on Windows 7 64 bit (and other Windows platforms)

To return to the stock boot animation, just remove or rename the .zip in /data/local and the system will default back to the stock one in /system/media provided you have not changed it in there.

If you feel the need to save the current bootanimation.zip file in that folder, then before copying over it, use this command to pull it into your SDK /tools folder, rename it, then copy the new one into the tools folder and push it onto the Xoom using the following command:

Code:
    adb pull /system/media/bootanimation.zip bootanimation.zip
    If you place one of the boot animations on your Xoom, then reboot and your device gets stuck in a boot loop, your file may be corrupted or something isn't quite right. Find a working boot animation in these forums and use the following commands to push them onto your Xoom via ADB. (It will save you having to re-flash your Xoom like I did the first time it happened to me.) Your device may appear to boot loop one more time after pushing the new file, but it will *reset* and finally boot normally.

Code:
    adb devices
    adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local
    If you are creating the boot animation to share with others online, I would highly recommend posting the MD5 hash (or checksum) of the file so that others will know that the file they downloaded is complete and won't cause them boot loop problems. To get it for your file you have a few options.
    1) download a program like "
    winmd5" or other freebie. It will output the md5 to post along with the download link, and the person downloading it can simply verify it using the same program.
    2) Using Astro File Manager, browse to the file and long press on it, then chose Details. At the bottom it will show you the md5 hash.
    3) There is also a decent app in the marketplace called
    AFV (Android File Verifier) for the Xoom side of the verification.

Some other MD5 tips and ways to get md5 hash:
    http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/138831-verify-your-files-md5-checksums.html
    Last edited by fish1552; 03-27-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Added link to turn off thumbnail cache in Windows
    wicked, Bazar6, Serpico and 5 others like this.
    What is rooting: the advantages/disadvantages | Set-up ADB | Need Help? Post Here | ADB Commands for Newcomers | Boot Animation Requests
    Remember to post the solution that worked to solve your problem so you can help others with their problems later.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Nice write up, I've seen these on XDA, yours is alot easier to understand.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Sterling work fish nice 1

Sent from my favourite piece of gadge.
    GEDified.... xoom to be donated to the kids....maybe.....probably

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Twitter
    XoomForum
    From the D1 to the Xoom, great write up

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Twitter
    jblalock77
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3876 View Post
    Nice write up, I've seen these on XDA, yours is alot easier to understand.
    Yeah... This one even made sense to me. Great guide. Thanks.
    Last edited by jblalock77; 06-14-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
    "Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Awesome bro - I was just looking for info on the looping and pausing! Thanks for putting in the time to write this up clearly. Cheers.

As a skillful IT PRO that you are, you have absolutely no !%#!@*! idea what is going on so you ask your mentor, your friend, the one who’s been by your side in the toughest situations and never let you down, the Oracle, the holder of all humanity’s knowledge, “The Program”. The Google.

Theme Developer

Member #
    Liked
    290 times
    Twitter
    Bazar6
    ROMs
    1 Submitted
    Themes
    37 Submitted
    Hey!! Another guide! Great write up, hope we can see even more now

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    ROMs
    4 Submitted
    Very well written, thank you sir!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Thanks everyone. The intent I had in writing this was to break things down to the level a novice would need to make their own. I know where I was when I started making them for my Droid 1 over a year ago and details on it were slim. And some of the sites I found, used terms that I had to look up elsewhere, so I tried to avoid that. So if anyone stops by and finds anything in the guide not 100% clear, please let me know and I'll try to explain it another way.
    What is rooting: the advantages/disadvantages | Set-up ADB | Need Help? Post Here | ADB Commands for Newcomers | Boot Animation Requests
    Remember to post the solution that worked to solve your problem so you can help others with their problems later.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Im having a hard time getting my part1 to play. My part0 goes all the way through and then it just goes blank from there on...
    desc.txt:
    800 480 24
    p 1 0 part0
    p 0 0 part1

the resolution of my images match those values above.
    Moto Droid Rooted - PEv6
    Moto Droid Bionic - Still Stock
    Moto Xoom Rooted - Back to Stock

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads