• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Bootanimation Install Instructions

This is a discussion on Bootanimation Install Instructions within the Boot Animations forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Themes category; I read the instructions over at Xda and it looks easy....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bootanimation Install Instructions

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    I read the instructions over at Xda and it looks easy.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    I read the instructions over at Xda and it looks easy.
    Yeah, looks easy, but the few threads I've followed don't seem to be working. I think it has something to do with the bootsnd.sh file. Something has to be modified in the system/bin folder to turn the ability to play it on from what I'm reading. Gotta go do some actual work, so I'll continue in a bit.
    What is rooting: the advantages/disadvantages | Set-up ADB | Need Help? Post Here | ADB Commands for Newcomers | Boot Animation Requests
    Remember to post the solution that worked to solve your problem so you can help others with their problems later.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    I saw that. I wonder if it because it really is intended for phones? Sh'ing the bootsnd.sh to /sdcard may need to be modified to just /. I may look into this. I don't see anything as far as the mp3 limitations with the exception that it has to be named android_audio.mp3 and be placed in /system/media.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    I have the shell script downloaded and I'm going to see what it does. Then I guess I'll go from there. It shouldn't be too difficult to do, just finding out what the procedure is for us if it's different from Froyo ones.
    What is rooting: the advantages/disadvantages | Set-up ADB | Need Help? Post Here | ADB Commands for Newcomers | Boot Animation Requests
    Remember to post the solution that worked to solve your problem so you can help others with their problems later.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    I tried doing a lot of this on my Droid1, figuring I can easily re-image my phone in a heartbeat without worrying about needing it in a hurry. Also because the shell script is written for froyo and didn't want to seriously screw up my Xoom until I looked at it.

I ran the bootsnd.sh script on the phone and it attempts to create a folder in the /system/bin folder. You have to go and make these folders R/W ahead of time. The directions say make the folder where you see sdcard, system, etc R/W, but I had to actually go inside /system and do it for the phone to make everything below it the same. After that, the script ran, but kept getting:

bootsnd.sh: cannot create /system/etc/init.local.rc: read-only file system (repeats a few times)
    bootsnd.sh: cannot create /system/bin/bootsnd: read-only file system (repeats a few times)
    Unable to chmod /system/bin/bootsnd: No such file or directory
    No such user 'root:shell
    bootsnd.sh: cannot create /system/build.pro: read-only file system
    bootsnd.sh: cannot create /system/build.prop: read-only file system

Now this method is confirmed to work on the DroidX, and the Incredible, but not sure about anything else. I guess I need to check out the script a little closer and see what it is trying to do, and maybe add in something to make folders R/W.

From another thread, I also tried copying the android_audio.mp3 file to /system/media but didn't get anything. So back to the drawing board...

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    I think I'll make a separate thread for this topic. Maybe the subject will pull in a few people who have some experience with this and together maybe get it working.

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times

had to add path

I followed the instructions for adding the boot animation, but when it came to the part where I had to give the command "adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local", I had to add the full path to it, i.e., "C:\android-sdk-windows\tools\bootanimation.zip", even though I added "C:\android-sdk-windows\tools" to the Path. And OMG, did it take forever to download the Android SDK.software to do this.... whew!
    But, my boot animation looks much cooler now than that boring honeycomb crap.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Khristy View Post
    I followed the instructions for adding the boot animation, but when it came to the part where I had to give the command "adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local", I had to add the full path to it, i.e., "C:\android-sdk-windows\tools\bootanimation.zip", even though I added "C:\android-sdk-windows\tools" to the Path. And OMG, did it take forever to download the Android SDK.software to do this.... whew!
    But, my boot animation looks much cooler now than that boring honeycomb crap.
    Thats great! Glad you were able to get it working.

Xoom Assassin

Member #
    Liked
    375 times
    good work Khristy.
    which one did you end up choosing as your new BA?

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sardo Numspa View Post
    good work Khristy.
    which one did you end up choosing as your new BA?
    The "Star Trek LCARS Scanner". Yeah... I'm such a nerd. lol

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads