• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

The Motorola Xoom Family Edition Rooting Exploit

This is a discussion on The Motorola Xoom Family Edition Rooting Exploit within the Evil_DevNull forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Family Edition Development category; Not to be reposted on XDA-Developers.com / Rootzwiki.com / Androidforums.com / AndroidCentral.com / ect basicly only sites Team Evil and my self give permission to ...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: The Motorola Xoom Family Edition Rooting Exploit

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Twitter
    Evil_DevNull

The Motorola Xoom Family Edition Rooting Exploit

Not to be reposted on XDA-Developers.com / Rootzwiki.com / Androidforums.com / AndroidCentral.com / ect basicly only sites Team Evil and my self give permission to is XoomForums.com and Evilthinktank.net no other sites!!!!!!

Hello Everyone, I have decided after trying to get my own xoom family edition that i would just release this for free here where it would be appreciated the most. Please note that this is NOT for all versions of the Family Edition, This was created on a donor unit from user Supr2nr his unit is running Moto_MZ505_1.004.03_WIFI_GEN.

The update is killing the exploit in ver Moto_MZ505_1.006.01_WIFI_GEN I'm going to be working with Bigdogrush on porting the system with fastboot and full Clockworkmod recovery.

This XFE has Moto_MZ505_1.004.03_WIFI_GEN installed, I'm looking to get people back to this rom ver till i can hack the newest release.
    i will support and develop future exploits and hopefully get custom rom's to easily load onto the XFE as soon as possible. Please excuse the video (i drank too much Monster) but it will show you whats up;
    Download Xoom-Raider FE Stage One
    Once downloaded move to the manual commands below
    This will allow Superuser to ask for premissions!

50.png
    STAGE 2 OF THE XOOM RAIDER

Please be advised, if you do NOT know how to access the adb shell please ask someone to help you, or google the term "How to use adb shell"
    -Commands-
    Couple of quick notes: Don't modify or move /system/xbin/su until this is all finished. You don't want to lose root and have to reexploit. I have root checker Pro open the whole time so I can monitor the progress as you update. Make sure busybox shows the proper install in root checker pro.

You'll have to start by running the stage one Xoom Raider exploit and gaining root access to your Xoom FE obviously.

1) Install RootChecker Pro

2) Download the su binary only from here: http://downloads.androidsu.com/super...ghi-signed.zip ***This is key***

3) Unzip it and save the su binary off so you know where it is for later.

4) Install Superuser from the market

5) Install busy box from the market. I used jrummy's BusyBox installer, as it allows me to install to /system/xbin. You can reinstall later to /system/bin if you like or you can leave two su binaries on your Xoom

6) You already have su installed from the exploit in /system/xbin

7) Make sure su isn't already on your sdcard and then: adb push /pathtosu/su /sdcard/su

8) Run adb shell and type su. You should get a #. If you don't, you're not rooted.

9) Remount both the root file system and /system as rw. You'll have to look in mounts to make sure you know which partition you're mounting.
    # cat /proc/mounts (find which is mounted to /system. It's probably /dev/block/mmcblk0p3)
    # mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system
    # mount -o rw,remount -t rootfs rootfs /

10) Copy su from the sdcard to /system/bin
    # chmod 777 /system/bin
    # cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su

(This is important…do it in this order. If you do it backwards, your permissions won't work)

# chown root.root /system/bin/su
    # chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
    # ls -l /system/bin/su (it should look like: -rwsr-sr-x root root 22364 2012-01-06 20:18 su)

11) Run root-checker pro again. Everything should be green and show proper setuid and root ownership present for both /system/bin and /system/xbin

12) vi the /default.prop file and change ro.secure=1 to ro.secure=0 (you may have to change the file permission to do so. change it back to 644 when you're done.
    # chmod 777 /default.prop
    # vi /default.prop
    scroll over to the #1…hit r for replace. Type 0. Hit escape, :wq
    # chmod 644 /default.prop

13) Change the permissions back to 6755 on /system/bin
    # chmod 6755 /system/bin

Open an app that requires root permission. You should be getting the pop-up from superuser asking if you want to allow. If this doesn't work, you missed a step (or I missed one).

14) Copy the new su binary to /system/xbin **You can delete /system/xbin/su at this point if you wish. Since you already installed busybox to /system/xbin, it will look for su to get root permission in /system/xbin. You can reinstall busybox again to /system/bin or just copy the new su over and leave it. I left mine.
    # cp /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su1
    # rm /system/xbin/su
    # mv /system/xbin/su1 /system/xbin/su
    # chown root.root /system/xbin/su
    # chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su

Done and Reboot

Donate for further development on the family edition below
    Last edited by Evil_DevNull; 01-14-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Support a Forum and a Developer which is here to support YOU.

~ If you like my work please consider buying me a Monster Energy HERE. Your support is greatly appreciated. Thank you! ~

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Good stuff.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Twitter
    Evil_DevNull
    Thank you, It took me less than 4 days with Supr2nr device before i created and setup this exploit for the Family Edition, Imagine what i could do if i had one full time! Customizable themes, Full Superuser.apk white listing, fastboot, custom recovery. Ew the projects i could do...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Evil_DevNull is a great guy and very smart! If you can help please do. I would like to see what and where our devices could go if he had his own device.

DrivetheGreen66
    Looking Good. Hope you can get a XFE quick.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Twitter
    Evil_DevNull
    I have released the command lines in the developer section with no one else showing interest in the Family Edition.

Sorry FE owners i cant help without a device, to work on.
    Last edited by Evil_DevNull; 01-05-2012 at 03:32 PM.

~ If you like my work please consider buying me a Monster Energy HERE. Your support is greatly appreciated. Thank you! ~

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Twitter
    Evil_DevNull
    600+ downloads of the rooter and not one comment? Not one donation? Not even one gripe? Man, tuff crowd

Sent via my Evil Evo 3D

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you very much Evil_DevNull for releasing this rooter... Unfortunately it doesn't work on mine cause I upgraded my fe. You mentioned people can get back to this rom ver. Do you know where can I get these .IMG files? I was looking at the MOTODEV site but I couldn't find it. Oh and if you want I can join you in this purpose of developing exploits and get custom rom's... ;-)

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Twitter
    Evil_DevNull
    Are you asking me to give you my codes and try to develop them on your Xoom? Yeah, thanks for the offer but i develop FOR my own Xoom, once i have one then i will be more forth coming with all my information. sucks that you did the OTA but that's the main issue here. I am part of a Team, Yet the ONLY one with the skills to manipulate the FE as well as it has been since it's release. You want to help?! Help get me a Xoom FE

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    evil,
    how far away from your goal to get one?
    dont have one but ill kick in a bit, your work will help in future releases of simular hardware

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads