• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

save image to microSD no longer available after swapping to a bigger card?

This is a discussion on save image to microSD no longer available after swapping to a bigger card? within the Honeycomb General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Honeycomb Forum category; My Xoom Hong Kong version (MZ601) had Honeycomb 3.1 out of the box and I could get camera apps I installed to save the images ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question save image to microSD no longer available after swapping to a bigger card?

My Xoom Hong Kong version (MZ601) had Honeycomb 3.1 out of the box and I could get camera apps I installed to save the images directly to the microSD card.

After recently upgraded to 3.2, it was still working fine until yesterday. I swapped for a larger card as the existing one was getting full. Now the new card is mounted to mnt\external1 and I can't get the camera apps to save the image to the new card any more.

Is there a fix to this?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesquire View Post
    My Xoom Hong Kong version (MZ601) had Honeycomb 3.1 out of the box and I could get camera apps I installed to save the images directly to the microSD card.

After recently upgraded to 3.2, it was still working fine until yesterday. I swapped for a larger card as the existing one was getting full. Now the new card is mounted to mnt\external1 and I can't get the camera apps to save the image to the new card any more.

Is there a fix to this?
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Did you format your new card to fat32?

LG V60 Dual Screen
    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It's preformatted to FAT32 out of the box. I can move photos from device to card, but none of the camera apps shows the option to save image to the card.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Twitter
    It's a bird
    Welcome to the forum

Try to use the Xoom to format the card instead of PC or Out-Of-The-Box format.

Hope it help and keep us posted

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesquire View Post
    It's preformatted to FAT32 out of the box. I can move photos from device to card, but none of the camera apps shows the option to save image to the card.
    I don't think the stock xoom app allows you to move the pictures to the sdcard but HDR Camera+ does. IMHO one of the best camera apps. There's also a free version you can try first.

LG V60 Dual Screen
    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    HDR Camera+ is no good neither - image can only save to device storage.

I could save directly to the old card before regardless of camera apps, except for Xoom's stock app of course - perhaps Motorola was trying to tell us something?
    Last edited by Mesquire; 05-28-2012 at 04:38 AM.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I was doing a bit of research online on this topic and I found some interesting facts/ claims:

1. SD card support was said to be available when they release Honeycomb 3.2 (but my Xoom has SD card support out of the box with 3.1)
    2. MNT/external1 is the normal folder on 3.2 and apparently you can only write to it using a file manager - apps like camera apps can't write directly to it.

It appears that by swapping to a new SD card, I have triggered the default behaviour on 3.2... oh well, looks like I'm stuck with it.

Better luck with Android 4.0 perhaps? The upgrade is not available through OTA and instead it is available from the local Motorola tech support but it will remove USB host support (which I don't use)
    Last edited by Mesquire; 05-29-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Took the Xoom to the Motorola HK tech support to upgrade to 4.0.3. What was originally 4GB partition for apps and the rest for data is now a single 28.8GB partition for everything! That's a complete ROM replacement.

The microSD card is still mounting to external1 and no camera app can write directly to it, and like before the stock camera app can write to main storage only.

BUT it is much smoother and more responsive than on Honeycomb. Win some, lose some, I guess.

Remove Ads

Ads