• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

N00b to Team Tiamat Roms + xoom, looking for a few answers!

This is a discussion on N00b to Team Tiamat Roms + xoom, looking for a few answers! within the Honeycomb ROMs forums, part of the Honeycomb Development category; Hey, I just got my hands on a xoom last week - and since then I've been looking around for Roms and kernels, just to ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Smile N00b to Team Tiamat Roms + xoom, looking for a few answers!

Hey,

I just got my hands on a xoom last week - and since then I've been looking around for Roms and kernels, just to make it even better, improve performance and maybe, just maybe even improve battery life - and of course I came across the Tiamat releases which clearly look superior.

And as I was researching and deciding to flash or not (I'm new the whole android flashing scene) I noticed the threads about the new release due (2.2 Moray I believe) so decided to wait a few days for the new release mainly due to it hopfully containing bug fixes for problems posted on the various threads in regard to 2.1

In short I have a few questions in relation to flashing the rom, overclocking, and installing the overclocked GPU kernel. I hope these are intelligent questions since I have spent a few days reading up and researching.

1) Whats the battery life like when its overclocked? At the moment using the stock Rom/kernel I get just about 10 hours surfing/video playback over wifi on the lowest brightness level. Now I know obviously since it will be overclocked things like the CPU and GPU would use more power, however, since the majority of the battery is used to power the screen am I right in thinking the overclocked CPU and GPU won't make that big of an impact on battery life?

2) Asking some xoom veterans here.. is it worth overclocking? I mainly use the xoom for wifi surfing and videos (which it does just fine using stock stuff) but I plan to use it to play Gensoid and n64oid games soon. Does overclocking the CPU and kernel make this experience much better or just marginally?

3) I understand you can set what level you want your CPU overclocked to, some stable, some not so. You don't have an option on the GPU overclock so my question is... is overclocking the CPU to lets say 1.5ghz and then using the overclocked GPU kernel safe? I know it may be stable so android will be happy, my main concern is heat on the chips, and if the increased heat on the CPU and GPU cause hardware issues a few months down the line?

4) If, for whatever reason my EU Wifi only xoom doesn't take too well to te Tiamat Roms/kernel I assume I can restore to the stock ROM and kernel as found of developer.motorola.com as if nothing as ever happened? I'm pretty certain you can, but it would be nice to get confirmation and a status on the warrently if I flashed to Tiamat and then restored it to stock firmware

5) Any other advice/suggestions by xoom veterans in regard to the xoom and flashing to the Tiamats software would be appricated.

Thanks in advance for any replies which may seem extremely n00b to many people. I just want to be sure on a few things before I got messing around with things since I'm a Xoom/Android novice and won't want to end up with an expensive paper weight

And of course a big thanks to the Tiamat crew for their |33t hacks and hard work. I'll be sure to donate a few dollar to you for your hard work. I assume donating via the "donate to me" option on xda-developers.com is the preferred method?

Regards,

SF

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us.
    1. My battery is very good with an OC'ed GPU.
    2. Mine will run at 1.7ghz add day long but not all Xooms are created equal, some won't go past 1.4ghz.
    3. Yes you can use SetCPU to regulate your speeds.
    4. Yes you can go back to stock and even relock it.
    5. I would wait a little as there's a new rom out any time.
    6. There's also a new root guide that doesn't have as many steps.
    [Root] Universal Xoom Root - ANY XOOM ANY UPDATE
    Last edited by ggrant3876; 09-08-2011 at 07:42 PM.

LG V60 Dual Screen
    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Twitter
    jblalock77
    Welcome to the forum.
    Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
    "Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    ggrant3876,

Thanks for the reply but I have a feeling you didn't read my questions all the way through, especially in regard to questions 2, 3, and 5(which I already know theres a new ROM due out soon which is the point of my previous questions)

Not having a go at you or anything, you clearly had a xoom a while and know more than me so I value you opinion and therefore would appricate your point of view on the questions I asked.

Regards,

SF
    Last edited by SwizzleFirma; 09-08-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    2. I don't play any of those games so I don't have the answer you need.
    3. Not all Xooms are created equal, mine runs 1.7 all day long with out a hiccup while some have to be throttled back to 1.4 to be stable. You can get kernels with an OC'ed GPU or stock GPU.
    5. Once you root before flashing anything you will need to make a backup in ClockWorkMod recovery before you flash a rom or kernel. The instructions for flashing will be in the OP.

LG V60 Dual Screen
    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Twitter
    Never
    ROMs
    1 Submitted
    Quote Originally Posted by SwizzleFirma View Post
    ggrant3876,

Thanks for the reply but I have a feeling you didn't read my questions all the way through, especially in regard to questions 2, 3, and 5(which I already know theres a new ROM due out soon which is the point of my previous questions)

Not having a go at you or anything, you clearly had a xoom a while and know more than me so I value you opinion and therefore would appricate your point of view on the questions I asked.

Regards,

SF

2) Performance increase is not always/neccesarily apparent, but it IS there.

3) Yes it is safe but you also need to be aware of what your xoom is/is not capable of. Settings are safe and easy to change. You don't need to have it all the way to 1.7 to get the real deal, 1.2-1.4 is fine

5) Do not get discouraged when something does not work or is hard to set up. you can always get back with backups and knowing what files you need and where to find them. The more you educate yourself, the easier and more obvious everything is. Most importantly, help other people with what you have learned!
    Last edited by Noobz2Men; 09-08-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    -Xoom Wi-Fi runnin' the latest and greatest by Team Rogue!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Twitter
    jblalock77
    For my Xoom at least 1.4 seems to be the right balance of noticeable performance increase with minimal decrease in battery life.
    Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
    "Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3876 View Post
    5. Once you root before flashing anything you will need to make a backup in ClockWorkMod recovery before you flash a rom or kernel. The instructions for flashing will be in the OP.
    I'm hoping I'm not going to have a problem if I ever decided to restore back to factory ROM and Locked, but you mentioned that in the rooting process that one should make a back up. After the fact this makes sence, but since I'm new as well to android and rooting, I don't recall seeing that step in the rooting process. So what happens if I don't have a back up. Are there options for me?

Remove Ads

Ads