• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

A quick review of some custom ICS ROMs

This is a discussion on A quick review of some custom ICS ROMs within the ICS Development forums, part of the Motorola Xoom ICS Forum category; Don't forget Codename Android. I was on that one for a while. It's a nice ROM. Is the Gummy ROM still being maintained? I have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: A quick review of some custom ICS ROMs

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Don't forget Codename Android. I was on that one for a while. It's a nice ROM.

Is the Gummy ROM still being maintained? I have not seen much activity on that one since it first came out.
    Team ROOT ~ WiFi running EOS3 Jelly Bean!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post
    Don't forget Codename Android. I was on that one for a while. It's a nice ROM.

Is the Gummy ROM still being maintained? I have not seen much activity on that one since it first came out.
    The release for Gummy 1.2.0 for the wifi was in May. According to the thread on here, they are still working on issues with stingray.

Will give Codename Android a go this evening, and then update the OP with reviews for both.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Just need a placeholder between flashing roms for this link to download codename android since the rootzwiki link doesn't work and the links in the thread here are to old versions

CodeNameDroid Nightlies

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Ok, having experimented with Codename Android, I can reveal the following:

1. The link I found above to download the rom claims that the zip "includes google apps which are not on the market". This is NOT the case, and I had to re-flash the rom with a standard gapps package to get it to go through the setup routine, which meant that the first time I flashed it, the date and time were wrong, no wireless network was set up, and I could not add a google account. I cannot confirm that it runs well with the standard gapps package because I didn't do a lot of runtime testing.

2. The rom is not overclockable, and installation of an OC kernel is not possible. I tried both Rogue Kuma and Tiamat 3.0.5, but although the installations ran through without error, the kernel was not present on reboot.

3. The customisation options are fairly standard to 4.0.4 roms, with the exception of the Eye Candy feature, which I liked (it adds a screensaver which executes when the tablet enters sleep mode), and the developer options, which are extensive.

I'm not sure I want to recommend it at this point since I am not 100% sure it will run error-free with standard gapps, and I don't have a lot of interest in non-OC roms.

However, the link is above to download it if anyone fancies a whirl.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zigackly View Post
    When you change to a different rom, like going from EOS to Black ICE, you need to do a factory reset, which will wipe all your apps, but not the data on your sd card. Best plan then is to ante up for Titanium Backup Pro, which will easily preserve all your apps with their settings so you can restore them with the new rom. That way you don't lose your progress in angry birds and your girlfriend doesn't kill you.

When you update from EOS 2.0.0 to EOS nightlies, or from Black ICE 38 to 38.1 though, you only need to wipe the cache and the dalvik cache (under "advanced" in recovery), which makes things quicker.

EDIT: Dibbles advice about goomanager is good advice. Download that too.
    I have been happily using EOS 1.0 and very good it is too. May well try other roms inc black ice and am clear on what to do regards this proceedure but if i was to update to eos 2.0 what do I do just a wipe cache and dalvik?

And incidentally what is a nightlie build....ive never really understood this.

Thanks.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by obmij77 View Post
    I have been happily using EOS 1.0 and very good it is too. May well try other roms inc black ice and am clear on what to do regards this proceedure but if i was to update to eos 2.0 what do I do just a wipe cache and dalvik?

And incidentally what is a nightlie build....ive never really understood this.

Thanks.
    If you want 2.0.0 you will need to wipe your cache partition and dalvik cache, flash the appropriate rom and gapps and then enjoy. The nightlies are just incremental updates before they are put into a stable rom, IMHO the nightlies are as stable as the 2.0.0.

Note 8
    Galaxy S8 Plus
    Nexus 6 - PureNexus

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Great stuff, thanks grant. I may have a mess with the black ice as well but the eos has far been super stable anyway....understand the 'nightlies' tag to as well thanks, so basically the 2.0 is a sum total of work up to a stable point...got ya.

Cheers.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    If they had just stopped a couple nightlies after 2.0.0 you would get the softkey settings too ...

For what it's worth, I've been running Black ICE for about 24 hours now and the stability is good. Just take a nandroid backup before playing with the masturmods settings!

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zigackly View Post
    Just need a placeholder between flashing roms for this link to download codename android since the rootzwiki link doesn't work and the links in the thread here are to old versions

CodeNameDroid Nightlies
    Hmm...looks like the project might have died. I'm sure the last one I used was OC'ed. Oh well, it had promise.
    Team ROOT ~ WiFi running EOS3 Jelly Bean!

Xoom Assassin

Member #
    Liked
    375 times
    Just flashed aokp build 40. Some people were having issues with the market, I installed the jelly bean market and its working fine. I also flashed the tiamat oc kernel and it worked fine.
    This is close to the aokp rom I have on my phone and it runs smooth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Ads