• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

A quick review of some custom ICS ROMs

This is a discussion on A quick review of some custom ICS ROMs within the ICS Development forums, part of the Motorola Xoom ICS Forum category; I've been trying out lots of custom ICS ROMs since getting my Xoom in March, so I thought it was time for a quick roundup. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: A quick review of some custom ICS ROMs

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    187 times

A quick review of some custom ICS ROMs

I've been trying out lots of custom ICS ROMs since getting my Xoom in March, so I thought it was time for a quick roundup. Feel free to add your own thoughts and tell me I'm wrong.

All of the custom ROMs in this review can be found in this sub-forum.

These are my opinions only! In no particular order then:

Rooted stock US ICS
    I tried this one last night for comparison. Turned my UK Xoom into a US GED, downloaded all the updates, and rooted. The ROM runs very smoothly without overclocking, but lacks any customisation options compared to the indie ROMs. The major pitfall for me was that after booting into the ROM, it zaps any custom recovery you have installed with the stock recovery, making it difficult to maintain a nandroid backup. I can't really live with hooking it up to a PC and re-flashing a recovery each time I want to back it up, and also this means I can't name my backup files, so in the end I got fed up with it, and threw it away.

CyanogenMod 9 Nightlies
    This for me is the daddy of custom Android ROMs, and I'll always have a soft spot for it. The custom bootloaders and wallpapers are superb, and you get a nice range of system sounds. This ROM is now very stable, and offers overclocking with a solid kernel, but falls behind on the amount of customisation compared to the other ROMs I am reviewing below. I'll keep going back to it because it's CyanogenMod, but it's not a daily driver for me.

EOS Nightlies
    Highly stable, good customisation, overclocked with a solid kernel, and well supported. It's not as pretty as the next two, but this is the one I have installed in my mum's Xoom, and the one I would recommend to my friends. It's also the one I keep going back to after trying the others. The icing on the cake for me would be the ability to change the colour of the stock softkey icons, but that is my only slight criticism of it.

Black ICE Kangorade
    Overclocked and the most customisable of the lot with a number of built in themes, this would be my go to ROM, if it weren't for the instabilities and bugginess. If the developers keep working on it, hopefully these will be overcome, but it seems to have hit a slight hiatus at the moment, which is a shame.

Team Broccoli AOKPCB
    This is the most heavily themed ROM out there; very customisable and quite new - it seems stable, but laggy, so if they add an overclockable kernel, it could be a worldbeater. Definitely worth an install to see what is possible in terms of theming. Very much ahead of the curve.

EOS Cornerstone
    This is a great idea, because it allows three different apps to share the screen space, which would have a multitude of uses for all of us. The split screen can also be turned off for full screen usage. It's EOS other than that, which is fine. Only problem is that there are still a lot of gremlins to work out, which seem to be caused by the split screen functionality. For that reason, I couldn't recommend it at the moment, but I have every faith in EOS to sort it out, and I see this as very much one for the future.

Hope this has helped some of you to choose your custom ROM. I will come back and update the thread as things change, which I'm sure they will!
    Last edited by zigackly; 06-16-2012 at 09:53 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Well done with the above

Just to whet your appetite do you know there is a TeamGummy release..?

[RELEASE] [05-09-12] Gummy 1.2.0 - The Chronicles of Nyania - TeamGummy - RootzWiki

Team Gummy

Kejar31 - Primary Developer and Project lead
    Syaoran12 - Primary Developer and Project lead
    Jrummy16 – Primary Developer (part time)
    Sixstringsg - Developer
    X13thanglex - Developer and Moto Maintainer
    Stevespear426 - Developer

pauljohnson75 - Developer
    Mobile_Sensei - Developer and Artwork
    Imoseyon - Kernel Dev
    TKGlitch - Kernel Dev
    PoiTEE - Forum Support Guru
    Daank - Wallpapers and Artwork

Features

Android AOSP 4.0.4 Based (neither CM nor AOKP we built this from the ground up)

General UI
    • 180 Rotation - CM
    • Longpress Back Button to kill apps - CM
    • Volume options – Gummy original
    • Unlink notifications Volume – Gummy original
    • Statusbar Brightness – CM
    • Turn on/off Boot animations – Gummy original
    • Turn on/off Boot animation sounds – Gummy original
    System UI
    • Hide Alarm – Gummy original
    • Date opens Calendar – Gummy original
    • Statusbar color – Gummy original
    • Notification Transparency and color – Gummy original
    • Clock Style – XoomDev
    • AM / PM – XoomDev
    • Clock color – Gummy original
    • Battery Type – XoomDev
    • Battery Text and color – Gummy original
    • Battery Bar and color – AOKP
    • Custom carrier text and color – Gummy original
    • Pull Down Carrier text and color – Gummy original
    Softkey Settings – AOKP
    Power Widgets – CM
    Lockscreen Styles
    • All available styles were ported to ICS By Team Gummy
    • Camera/Sound picker – Gummy original
    Lockscreen settings
    • Lockscreen Battery % - Gummy original
    • Volume rocker wake – CM
    • Volume rocker skip music – CM
    • Music widget Revamped ICS – Gummy original
    • Locskcreen before Unlock – Gummy original
    • Quick Password unlock – CM
    • SMS Text, Popup and color – Gummy original
    LED Settings – AOKP
    Themes – CM
    Performance – Gummy original (everything in here was from us)
    • CPU frequency
    • Voltage Control
    • Start-Up tweaks
    • Free Memory
    Boot animation sound – Team Bamf
    Faster rotation animation – Gummy original
    Inline Kernel - CM
    All Builds are run thought PNG crunch - CM

Third Party apps (closed source) ..
    • APEX Launcher – Android Does
    • ROM Toolbox – Jrummy16
    • Root Browser – Jrummy16
    Third Party apps (open source)…
    • AppWIdgetPicker – boombuler
    • Superuser and SU binary – ChainsDD
    • OI FileManager
    • Term – Jackpal
    • BusyBox
    CM Based Apps
    • T9 Dialer
    • Quiet Hours
    • Automatic Backlights
    • Tmobile Theme Manager
    It does read to be quite interesting.!

Wingray ROM...

http://goo.im/devs/TeamGummy/Roms/Wi...ease-1.2.0.zip

or through Goomanager.

GAPPS...

http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
    zigackly likes this.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Challenge accepted! I'll get on that this evening.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Just tried it out...

and...

it has some nice features. You can overclock and, if you are that way inclined, adjust voltages. There seems to be some options that I noted above which I just can't find, like the AM / PM clock. Some of the colour settings for the status bar etc do not seem to work.
    It seems responsive enough, but I overclocked it to 1400mhz, and all seems well.

I have nandroid it up and gone back to the BI ROM and hopefully build 39 might be out soon, not that I am having any issues but at least it will feed my need to flash.
    Last edited by Dibbles; 06-16-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Initial thoughts on Gummy: it's quite original, has very silly boot music, can be overclocked, and feels smooth and stable. A decent amount of customisation compared to, say, CyanogenMod, but this one seems to go for substance over style. Will be sticking with it for longer than Broccoli I expect, because there's no lag, so I will be able to say more about the stability later.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    From the ROM's you have tested which would you use for a day to day one..?

For me I like aspects of each of them and it would be difficult to suggest that one stands head and shoulders above the rest. But I am using the Black Ice 38.1 build at the moment, with the purple theme. It is as fast as any other with an overclocked kernel but aesthetically I find it the most pleasing with the extra servings of black just in the right places. I have not found any of them to be unstable but I have found certain features not working, usually aspects of the recolouring or changing the theme to be a little off.
    Maybe if the Broccoli one was also overcockable then I might be tempted to migrate.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Day to day, I use EOS, but like you I would want to use Team Broccoli if I could OC it. As you say, apart from Black ICE and Broccoli, there are no big, standout differences.
    Dexter1969 likes this.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quick question - when you go between builds, do you need to factory reset before putting the new build on ?

Cant find the necessary post/thread to help me understand what to do...

Ta

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    @Zigackly - I like the nightly EOS ROM's but the extra aesthetics from the others just appeal to me too much.

@Dexter...

If you want my humble opinion...

Install a ROM and then back it up in CWM (boot to recovery) as a clean ROM and therefore it takes up less room on the SD card. If you have a fully loaded ROM with all of your apps and games then I use Titanium backup pro (I paid for the full version). This will allow you to backup all the apps and games from within a ROM and then restore them to another ROM when that new ROM has been flashed. I have never had an issue in doing that over the many years I have used it on my phones or any tablet.
    Then, having downloaded the next ROM to try, and the required GAPPS, under the wipe aspect of CWM I do a full wipe, including data, dalvik cache and cache. Then I install the new ROM and GAPPS.

If you do not like the new ROM and do not intend to ever use it again then just boot back to recovery and do all the wipes from within CWM and then use the restore feature to restore your previously backed up ROM. You must not rename those backups as it will fail the MD5 checking and thus fail to restore.

If you download the ROM via Goomanager it will automatically check the MD5 for you.
    If you download it to your PC first you must ensure that you check the MD5 - to ensure that the file you downloaded hasn't corrupted on the way to you.

Any more questions then just ask.

BTW This thread...

[HOW] Rookie Rooting, Flashing And UnRooting Under One Roof

posted by Astrix is superb, he is a legend in helping people and skilled at it as well
    Last edited by Dibbles; 06-17-2012 at 05:07 AM.
    Dexter1969 likes this.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter1969 View Post
    Quick question - when you go between builds, do you need to factory reset before putting the new build on ?

Cant find the necessary post/thread to help me understand what to do...

Ta
    When you change to a different rom, like going from EOS to Black ICE, you need to do a factory reset, which will wipe all your apps, but not the data on your sd card. Best plan then is to ante up for Titanium Backup Pro, which will easily preserve all your apps with their settings so you can restore them with the new rom. That way you don't lose your progress in angry birds and your girlfriend doesn't kill you.

When you update from EOS 2.0.0 to EOS nightlies, or from Black ICE 38 to 38.1 though, you only need to wipe the cache and the dalvik cache (under "advanced" in recovery), which makes things quicker.

EDIT: Dibbles advice about goomanager is good advice. Download that too.
    Last edited by zigackly; 06-17-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads