• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[HOW TO] Maintain Backups of Several ICS ROMs

This is a discussion on [HOW TO] Maintain Backups of Several ICS ROMs within the ICS Development forums, part of the Motorola Xoom ICS Forum category; First, an admission: I am a ROMaholic. I like to try different ROMs and I like to keep up with nightlies to see the latest ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By zigackly
  • 1 Post By Astrix

Thread: [HOW TO] Maintain Backups of Several ICS ROMs

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    187 times

[HOW TO] Maintain Backups of Several ICS ROMs

First, an admission: I am a ROMaholic. I like to try different ROMs and I like to keep up with nightlies to see the latest features as they come out. I'm also a little OCD with my setup on my Xoom, and when I switch ROMs, I want to keep all my settings and apps. One way to do this would be to keep Nandroid backups of each installation and update them with the latest nightlies, but this would use a lot of space and my app data would not stay in touch across different ROMs.

The following strategy is designed to be foolproof and fulfill all my needs. Hopefully it will also help some other obsessives like me!

Obviously this will only work for rooted users.

Preparation
    -----------
    1. Download goomanager from the google play market: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...0up.goomanager
    2. Download Titanium Backup from the google play market: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...TitaniumBackup
    3. Purchase a key for Titanium Backup if you want to make the process a lot quicker and support the devs.
    4. Open Titanium Backup, go to "Batch Backup/Restore", and select "Backup all user apps," and let it run to completion.
    5. Create an empty zip file called "rubbish.zip", and place it in your goomanager folder.

Now you are ready to create your first ROM backup.

Installing
    ---------
    1. Download your ROM and the gapps file you want, using goomanager (this will protect you from corrupted downloads).
    2. Boot into recovery mode.
    3. Do a factory/data reset.
    4. Go into "Advanced" and wipe the Dalvik cache.
    5. Install your ROM and the gapps and reboot.
    6. Set up your google account, etc, but DO NOT restore any apps (in fact, it's best not to allow google to backup your apps any more).
    7. Go into settings, and set the ROM up exactly the way you like it.
    8. Open goomanager and click "Flash ROMs", then "I already have one" for the dialog which may appear.
    9. Select "rubbish.zip", then click "Order and flash selected" and click the option to create a backup.
    10. Put the name and version of your ROM as the name of your backup, e.g. "EOS112".
    11. Click "Flash" and allow the Xoom to run your script. You will notice some errors from "rubbish.zip". Ignore them and reboot.
    12. Boot into recovery again and restore the backup. This is to check your backup is good. If not, reboot, delete it and go to step 8.

That's it. You now have a nice clean ROM backup with your account and settings.

The next step works to use that ROM any time you wish.

Restoring
    ---------
    1. Boot into recovery.
    2. Restore the ROM of your choice from your backup and reboot.
    3. Open Titanium Backup, go to "Batch Backup/Restore", select "Restore missing apps with data" and let it run to completion.

The next part is for switching ROMs.

Switching
    ---------
    1. Open Titanium Backup and go to "Batch Backup/Restore".
    2. Select "Backup new user apps & newer versions" and let it run to completion.
    3. Select "Redo backups for modified data" and let it run to completion.
    4. Follow the procedure for Restoring.

And finally, to update a backup to the newest release.

Updating
    --------
    1. Follow steps 1 to 3 from the procedure for Switching.
    2. Download your ROM and the gapps file you want, using goomanager (this will protect you from corrupted downloads).
    3. Boot into recovery mode and wipe the cache.
    4. Go into "Advanced" and wipe the Dalvik cache.
    5. Install your ROM and the gapps and reboot.
    6. Open goomanager and click "Flash ROMs".
    7. Select "rubbish.zip", then click "Order and flash selected" and click the option to create a backup.
    8. Put the name and version of your ROM as the name of your backup, e.g. "EOS112".
    9. Click "Flash" and allow the Xoom to run your script. You will notice some errors from "rubbish.zip". Ignore them and reboot.
    10. Boot into recovery again and restore the backup. This is to check your backup is good. If not, reboot, delete it and go to step 6.
    11. Delete the old backup for your ROM.

I also use Nova Launcher, because when you back it up and then restore it with Titanium Backup, your desktops icons and folders will be preserved between ROMs, but this is optional.
    Last edited by zigackly; 06-19-2012 at 07:06 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Remove Ads

Ads