• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ICS and SD Card

This is a discussion on ICS and SD Card within the ICS General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom ICS Forum category; Originally Posted by sparksd Something very strange with this issue. I replaced the SD card with another card with different contents (shut down and rebooted ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: ICS and SD Card

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sparksd View Post
    Something very strange with this issue. I replaced the SD card with another card with different contents (shut down and rebooted to do it). But when I access the second SD card via USB Windows Explorer still shows the contents of the first card, not the one I inserted. I even tried another laptop and see the same thing. But if I look at the SD card with File Manager HD, I see what I expected.
    This is just one symptom of a larger problem. Some applications under honeycomb where accessing and modifying the mediastore database improperly which led to corruption of the database. ICS is even more dependent on the mediastore database, which means symptoms of that corruption is much more apparent. It manifests itself as not being able to delete/modify contents on Xoom via USB cables, media files saying they can't be found when you try to play them, and images in gallery not being able to be opened.

There are two ways to fix it:
    1. One is to move all your content off the xoom, reboot the Xoom and let it try to rebuild the database. Then move the content back. This doesn't always work as sometimes it doesn't remove phantom entries.
    2. The second way is much more heavy handed and involved deleting/clearing the mediastore database completely and letting it be rebuilt database from scratch.
    Clearing the mediastore database and having it rebuilt from scratch involves the following steps:
    • Goto Settings->Apps
    • Select ALL apps tab
    • Scroll down "Media Storage" application
    • Select It
    • Select Clear Data
    • Make sure Xoom is not connected to your PC
    • Do full shutdown of your Xoom, then power it back up.
    • Wait 5-10 minutes as content is reindex. As its being reindex it is normal that you won't see anything in your Music player, gallery, or even when connected to your PC.
    • Once reindexing is done your content should be visible in Gallery, Music Player, and you should be able to browse SDCard and internal storage from PC again without directory duplication/errors

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Went the database clear path and it appears that did the job. Though after waiting more than an hour and not seeing any SD-based multimedia show up in the stock Google apps (and rebooting), I downloaded "Scan Media" app and ran it and now I can see all SD-card multimedia in the Google apps.

Thanks!
    Dave

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sparksd View Post
    Went the database clear path and it appears that did the job. Though after waiting more than an hour and not seeing any SD-based multimedia show up in the stock Google apps (and rebooting), I downloaded "Scan Media" app and ran it and now I can see all SD-card multimedia in the Google apps.

Thanks!
    Dave
    Sorry should have mentioned that if scanner didn't pick up media the first time that to try rebooting it a second time or use a scan media app. The first time it comes up to scan it doesn't always scan after recreating the database. The Scan Media app just sends a message ot the MediaScanner service to have it rescan, just as a second reboot would. Glad things are working for you now.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The Google mediapp had been spontaneously crashing on occasion back when I was on HC - due to the database corruption, perhaps?

Dave

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi. I am having related issues since the ICS push to my Xoom WiFi US tablet last week.
    1. Appears that I have read/write access to the microsd under Windows via USB (e.g. folder & file creation)
    2. Within Xoom (using Astro File Manager) I can see and browse the microsd content, but I cannot write to the card
    3. The lack of write access also appears affect other apps as well:
    a. Google Music does not correctly update media from the microsd card (even clearing data using Settings->Apps->All->Media Storage doesn't work, requires removing microsd and re-formatting)
    b. Google Video does not update media from the card at all
    c. This also means that I cannot add media to the microsd directly via a card reader
    d. Reset (Hold power + Volume-Up) does nothing

In short, ICS seems to have an issue mounting the microsd card correctly. I am not interested in rooting my device to have access to read-write on the microsd. In short ICS has eliminated my Xoom as my preferred media option as I would rather work with media on the microsd than the internal memory.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by ampoo View Post
    Hi. I am having related issues since the ICS push to my Xoom WiFi US tablet last week.
    1. Appears that I have read/write access to the microsd under Windows via USB (e.g. folder & file creation)
    2. Within Xoom (using Astro File Manager) I can see and browse the microsd content, but I cannot write to the card
    3. The lack of write access also appears affect other apps as well:
    a. Google Music does not correctly update media from the microsd card (even clearing data using Settings->Apps->All->Media Storage doesn't work, requires removing microsd and re-formatting)
    b. Google Video does not update media from the card at all
    c. This also means that I cannot add media to the microsd directly via a card reader
    d. Reset (Hold power + Volume-Up) does nothing

In short, ICS seems to have an issue mounting the microsd card correctly. I am not interested in rooting my device to have access to read-write on the microsd. In short ICS has eliminated my Xoom as my preferred media option as I would rather work with media on the microsd than the internal memory.
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us.

Note 8
    Galaxy S8 Plus
    Nexus 6 - PureNexus

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Twitter
    ChrisFrontRoyal
    The inability to write to the external card from within the Xoom is deliberate, and not an ICS issue - it was the same in HC
    Some file managers (e.g. File Manager HD) have worked out a way to copy internally, but still can't rename or delete. Basically, you still need to use the USB cable from the PC.

You can apparently get the full functionality by rooting.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisonline View Post
    The inability to write to the external card from within the Xoom is deliberate, and not an ICS issue - it was the same in HC
    Some file managers (e.g. File Manager HD) have worked out a way to copy internally, but still can't rename or delete. Basically, you still need to use the USB cable from the PC.

Yes, by rooting and using Root Explorer you have the full functionality of the sdcard. The Xoom is a very hardy beast and very hard to brick, especially by rooting it.

Note 8
    Galaxy S8 Plus
    Nexus 6 - PureNexus

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisonline View Post

Thanks for the clarification. My [flawed] memory seemed to feel that I had more flexibility than that in HC ... at the very least I know that I could copy internally to the microSD using Astro, but this is apparently no longer the case.

I finally got my media on the microsd to update correctly using the Scan Media app. During two attempts, the media scanning service exited and I had to start from step 2. ... but here is what I did:

1. Disconnect Xoom from PC usb.
    2. From Settings->Apps->All->Media Storage ... select Force Stop (you will be warned of possible errors that could result).
    3. From
    Settings->Apps->All->Media Storage ... select Clear data
    4.Reset the Xoom (Hold power + volume-up)
    5. After reboot, wait to see if media updates successfully in the Google Music & Google Video Apps. If not, run Scan Media.

In the end, it took nearly an hour for my videos & music to update fully. Perhaps I still have some issue, but at least I'm no longer hating my device. Would like to be able to write to the microSD without rooting, though.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3876 View Post
    What file manager are you using? Try File Manager HD, when opened there's a green arrow on upper right, tap it up and your sdcard is external1.

the one from rhythm software or from xufeifeng?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads