• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ICS and SD Card

This is a discussion on ICS and SD Card within the ICS General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom ICS Forum category; Since my OTA upgrade to ICS, I can't access the SD card when connected to my PC. Anyone else having this problem?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: ICS and SD Card

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

ICS and SD Card

Since my OTA upgrade to ICS, I can't access the SD card when connected to my PC.
    Anyone else having this problem?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Agent Xoom
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Twitter
    Hate It
    Dumn question maybe but is it mounted?
    Adios XOOM it has been, well an experience
    iMac i5 OS 10.x

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2217 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by sdannybee View Post
    Since my OTA upgrade to ICS, I can't access the SD card when connected to my PC.
    Anyone else having this problem?
    Have you rebooted the xoom, several have had issues until a reboot. Press and hold the power button and the volume up button until the xoom reboots.

Note 3 - Jedi Elite KK
    SGS-M919-GOLDENEYE-XXUBMF8-APPS2SD
    Nexus 4 - CyanMod 10.1.2
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Twitter
    ChrisFrontRoyal
    Also, is your Xoom turned on, not in Sleep mode?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure if it's mounted or how to unmount if so, as it doesn't give me the option. I did a hard reset with change. And it's turned on. I can access the internal storage, and it shows the SD card, but when I open it, there are no files on it (which there actually are).

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2217 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    What file manager are you using? Try File Manager HD, when opened there's a green arrow on upper right, tap it up and your sdcard is external1.

Note 3 - Jedi Elite KK
    SGS-M919-GOLDENEYE-XXUBMF8-APPS2SD
    Nexus 4 - CyanMod 10.1.2
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I can access it from my Xoom. I can't access it from my PC to move files over. Obviously taking it out isn't the biggest pain, but it was nice having the function before

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

multiple folders showing, transfer not working

I'm sorry but all these "try this" and "try that" solutions, while being well intentioned, ignore the fact that Motorola/Google screwed up, big time.

I upgraded to ICS when it came out, I have rebooted the Xoom several times. I have updated xoom moto drivers for my Win7 computer, I have rebooted my computer several times.

When I view the contents of my SD card from windows explorer on my PC via USB cable, it shows 3 copies of folders that I created on the SD card for storage. IE: I created a folder named "Work Files" I see three of them in the windows explorer window on the PC when in reality there is only one of those folders on the Xoom.

I use file manager HD, it is updated, it shows one copy, as it should, for these folders on the Xoom.

When I try to transfer a file, picking any location on the SD card, it starts, the small transfer window starts up, the progress bar goes about half way and never completes. I cancel out. If I try transfering to the internal storage, I get the same result.

It's simply not working. ICS has been launced before it is ready. Customers shouldn't have to go to forums to figure out how to do something as basic and fundamental as transfer files.

Motorola/Google need to figure this out and fix it asap without customers having to delve into forums and "try this" or "try that", this is extremely poor planning. Motorola/Google should "try" testing this OS upgrade in their labs rather than treating their customer base as guinea pigs and testing the OS in the field.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    pstewart - I also see the multiple copies of folders issue just as you describe. I have a stock WiFi Xoom with ICS and Win 7 on my laptop.

Update - should have noted that I can successfully copy files to the SD card via USB. Through experimenting, I'm finding that the multiple folder copies issue is only with folders that were already on the card when I updated to ICS. I created a new folder via USB and also using File Manager HD - in both cases, I see only one copy of the new folder when accessing the card via USB. My guess is that if I cleaned the card and recreated all of the older folders that the multiple copy issue would go away - but I have 30GB of data in them and I don't really want to go through all of that, at least right now as it is in a sense a cosmetic issue (no problem accessing that data irrespective of which folder I select). And the multiple copies applies only to top-level folders - within these folders there are only single copies of subfolders showing. Neat thing is that I can select the top folders and do a Properties and I have 60GB on a 32GB SD card.

Update 2 - I now better understand pstewart's issue. As I said, I can copy to the SD car just fine but if I try to copy any of the multiple folders to my PC, the copy fails just as he describes.

Dave
    Last edited by sparksd; 01-22-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Something very strange with this issue. I replaced the SD card with another card with different contents (shut down and rebooted to do it). But when I access the second SD card via USB Windows Explorer still shows the contents of the first card, not the one I inserted. I even tried another laptop and see the same thing. But if I look at the SD card with File Manager HD, I see what I expected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads