• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ICS has made SD card unusable, Replicates files/folders on it's own- SkyNet effect?

This is a discussion on ICS has made SD card unusable, Replicates files/folders on it's own- SkyNet effect? within the ICS General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom ICS Forum category; I've read both the 'ICS and SD card' and 'Problem with Google Music in ICS' threads and my problems seems to be different. Since 'upgrading' ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ICS has made SD card unusable, Replicates files/folders on it's own- SkyNet effect?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

ICS has made SD card unusable, Replicates files/folders on it's own- SkyNet effect?

I've read both the 'ICS and SD card' and 'Problem with Google Music in ICS' threads and my problems seems to be different.

Since 'upgrading' (using that very loosely) to ICS, it replicates all the folders on my SD card each day. So everyday there is a new folder (duplicate) of any folders on the SD card. When the SD card is viewed with the Xoom's file manager (I use ASTRO) it shows just one folder each as there should be, BUT when the SD card is viewed using my desktop computer connected to the Xoom, it will show these replicate folders. The Xoom when using Gallery, is seeing these folders, and what was a folder of 500 photos, becomes 1000 photos the next day, with 500 being 'blank' (unviewable). The following day, Gallery will see 1500 photos, with 1000 being blank, etc etc. No files on the internal card have been effected, just the external SD card. It is not duplicating the files or the SD card would have run out of storage. It is just creating new folders with the exact same name, so Gallery views them as a group?. A problem is I can not back-up these folders to my desktop, because when a transfer is done, it has a hard-time and then just transfers an empty folder. If there are 5 folders all with the same name, the desktop sees all of them as empty, while my table file manager (ASTRO) sees it as it should be, 1 folder with the correct amount of files. Lucky I have just had photo and movie files on the card. If it had been music files I sure the Music player would have gone crazy, and not just Gallery.

The first time this happen, right after the ICS 'upgrade' I cleared the SD card and formatted it, to start fresh, as had been suggested. But the problem continues. I've also done the Media Storage' 'clear data' suggestion with no success.

Any suggests would be appreciated.
    Last edited by gwn3030; 02-06-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Added troubleshooting used so far

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    ^^^ I've seen this phenomena as well; can't offer any solutions. Hopefully a guru here on the forum can pinpoint what's going on.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gwn3030 View Post
    I've read both the 'ICS and SD card' and 'Problem with Google Music in ICS' threads and my problems seems to be different.

Since 'upgrading' (using that very loosely) to ICS, it replicates all the folders on my SD card each day. So everyday there is a new folder (duplicate) of any folders on the SD card. When the SD card is viewed with the Xoom's file manager (I use ASTRO) it shows just one folder each as there should be, BUT when the SD card is viewed using my desktop computer connected to the Xoom, it will show these replicate folders. The Xoom when using Gallery, is seeing these folders, and what was a folder of 500 photos, becomes 1000 photos the next day, with 500 being 'blank' (unviewable). The following day, Gallery will see 1500 photos, with 1000 being blank, etc etc. No files on the internal card have been effected, just the external SD card. It is not duplicating the files or the SD card would have run out of storage. It is just creating new folders with the exact same name, so Gallery views them as a group?. A problem is I can not back-up these folders to my desktop, because when a transfer is done, it has a hard-time and then just transfers an empty folder. If there are 5 folders all with the same name, the desktop sees all of them as empty, while my table file manager (ASTRO) sees it as it should be, 1 folder with the correct amount of files. Lucky I have just had photo and movie files on the card. If it had been music files I sure the Music player would have gone crazy, and not just Gallery.

The first time this happen, right after the ICS 'upgrade' I cleared the SD card and formatted it, to start fresh, as had been suggested. But the problem continues. I've also done the Media Storage' 'clear data' suggestion with no success.

Any suggests would be appreciated.
    I've been having the same problem and now have 11 video folders, 11 photo folders, 11 ebook folders, etc. Just on the external SD card, not the internal card. Drives me nuts having to open every folder to find the "real" one ... all the fakes don't have correct file extensions and retain inaccurate files info. Must we wait for another update to resolve this nuisance?

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Posted solution and explanation in several other threads on this forum, can only find the link to info I posted on Motorola forum:
    https://forums.motorola.com/posts/cf07acdc3a

There is a similiar explanation here in this forum under another thread, but can't find it at the moment.
    kruga and OWJones like this.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    gman, you "be da man"! Followed your instructions in the link above and all went perfect ... no more looking through a myriad of folders to find the correct one!! Kudos, my friend!

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Grand Falls - Windsor, Newfoundland, Canada
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    unkleteddybear
    so i took the plunge. after i downloaded everything this whole process took all of 40 mins if that. Thanks to oxford and if i could do this, anybody can. Now rockin ICS

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Grand Falls - Windsor, Newfoundland, Canada
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    unkleteddybear
    Oops! Wrong thread. My bad!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NetJunkie View Post
    gman, you "be da man"! Followed your instructions in the link above and all went perfect ... no more looking through a myriad of folders to find the correct one!! Kudos, my friend!
    Rats! Thought I was home free, but guess what ... now I'm back to 4 versions of all folders! Grrrrrrrrrr ... what next??

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NetJunkie View Post
    Rats! Thought I was home free, but guess what ... now I'm back to 4 versions of all folders! Grrrrrrrrrr ... what next??
    Did you move files around on the device at all using a file manager application? Or did you copy them straight over via USB?

How big/deep is your directory structure?

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    I see this on occasion & rebooting the Xoom clears it up. I am rooted & seen it on EOS nightlies & 1.0.0, CM9 Kang, and now CNA.
    Team ROOT ~ WiFi running EOS3 Jelly Bean!

Ads