• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Wifi issues after april 2nd update

This is a discussion on Wifi issues after april 2nd update within the ICS General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom ICS Forum category; Originally Posted by MelaMom I would be interested in any help that can be offered because I am having the same problem. I have several ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Wifi issues after april 2nd update

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Twitter
    It's a bird
    Quote Originally Posted by MelaMom View Post
    I would be interested in any help that can be offered because I am having the same problem. I have several devices operating on my home wifi network and the only one that has issues is my Xoom tablet. And it only started having issues after the April update. I will lose the signal and then when I try to hook it back up it will say that the network is out of range... even when I'm in my house, standing 10 ft from my router. It seems to rehook when it feels like it and not on any schedule. There seems to be no way to guess when it will cut out. There is no pattern at all, regardless of activity, sleep, program, etc. It would be nice to have a new update to fix this issue.
    Welcome to the forum
    Great to have you with us

Take a look at this WiFix app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.wifixmanager

Hope it help and keep us posted.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by MelaMom View Post
    I would be interested in any help that can be offered because I am having the same problem. I have several devices operating on my home wifi network and the only one that has issues is my Xoom tablet. And it only started having issues after the April update. I will lose the signal and then when I try to hook it back up it will say that the network is out of range... even when I'm in my house, standing 10 ft from my router. It seems to rehook when it feels like it and not on any schedule. There seems to be no way to guess when it will cut out. There is no pattern at all, regardless of activity, sleep, program, etc. It would be nice to have a new update to fix this issue.
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. This was written by one of our members, gman, on another thread - see if it helps.

If you are running 802.11n on your router you have to run WPA2/AES. If you run WPA or WPA2/TKIP the xoom will drop will try to drop back to 802.11b/g per the standard. Enabling WEP on 802.11n router basically disables 802.11n as it blocks out all the higher transfer rates on compliant routers. Most problems are caused by people who have draft N routers at home that allow combinations of settings that aren't valid under final N spec. As router will try to negotiate higher transfer rates that a compliant device will refuse to use under the standard which causes signal drop outs for compliant devices. Best settings for 2.4ghz for max compliance is 802.11n, WPA2/AES, 20Mhz channels, WMM Enabled. For highest throughput run pure N mode and not B+G+N mode or run G+N mode on your router.

Note 8
    Galaxy S8 Plus
    Nexus 6 - PureNexus

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    That apparently is the main reason why Motorola UK has not updated UK Xooms earlier. US Xooms were recently updated to ICS 4.05, UK Xoom owners might have to waight for 4.1 release at the end of July.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Wifi issues here as well.

I'm having the same issues, and have tried both the wififix app, and the following router settings. It just started happening a couple of days ago, and up until then, worked fine. Now, it won't automatically connect to any wifi, even though it sees it, and knows that it's a remembered network. Also, I cannot force it to connect without either restarting, or warm-resetting the xoom. Even then, it will only stay connected for a little bit, or until the screen turns off.

I'm running out of ideas, and hate to do a factory reset, but think it may be my only hope!

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3876 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. This was written by one of our members, gman, on another thread - see if it helps.

If you are running 802.11n on your router you have to run WPA2/AES. If you run WPA or WPA2/TKIP the xoom will drop will try to drop back to 802.11b/g per the standard. Enabling WEP on 802.11n router basically disables 802.11n as it blocks out all the higher transfer rates on compliant routers. Most problems are caused by people who have draft N routers at home that allow combinations of settings that aren't valid under final N spec. As router will try to negotiate higher transfer rates that a compliant device will refuse to use under the standard which causes signal drop outs for compliant devices. Best settings for 2.4ghz for max compliance is 802.11n, WPA2/AES, 20Mhz channels, WMM Enabled. For highest throughput run pure N mode and not B+G+N mode or run G+N mode on your router.
    Last edited by ggrant3876; 08-14-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatAndPotato View Post
    I'm having the same issues, and have tried both the wififix app, and the following router settings. It just started happening a couple of days ago, and up until then, worked fine. Now, it won't automatically connect to any wifi, even though it sees it, and knows that it's a remembered network. Also, I cannot force it to connect without either restarting, or warm-resetting the xoom. Even then, it will only stay connected for a little bit, or until the screen turns off.

I'm running out of ideas, and hate to do a factory reset, but think it may be my only hope!

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Have you checked to see if t your router has a software upgrade, this has helped in the past. Also you could try setting up a static ip.
    To setup a Static IP Address on your Motorola Xoom, follow the steps below:
    1.Touch Apps

2.Touch Settings

3.Touch Wi-Fi settings

4.Touch Add Wi-Fi network

5.Enter Name under Network SSID, and touch Save

6.Touch and hold the "network name", and touch Modify network

7.Select Static under IP settings, and enter the specific network information.

Tip: You can also adjsut your security and Proxy settings.

8.Touch Save

Note 8
    Galaxy S8 Plus
    Nexus 6 - PureNexus

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you ggrant3876 for the info, I haven't tried a static IP yet, but did check that my firmware was up to date.

I did end up trying a factory reset, and that didn't clear up the issue. I can connect initially, then it will drop disconnect and only use 4G either when the screen shuts off, or at a random time. It's really odd to me since it still sees the wifi network, but won't reconnect automatically.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just an update:

It's definitely my new router from CenturyLink (Actiontec C1000a). After the hard reset, my xoom now connects like it should everywhere, but home. I've reset the router, rebuilt the network from scratch, and tried every combination of security and band I could, and it won't stay connected. I'm going to try replacing it with a plain DSL modem and my old router (which worked perfectly) and see if that fixes it.

Quote Originally Posted by MeatAndPotato View Post
    Thank you ggrant3876 for the info, I haven't tried a static IP yet, but did check that my firmware was up to date.

I did end up trying a factory reset, and that didn't clear up the issue. I can connect initially, then it will drop disconnect and only use 4G either when the screen shuts off, or at a random time. It's really odd to me since it still sees the wifi network, but won't reconnect automatically.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Final Update, I hope.

For reasons unknown to me, I decided to do another factory reset on my Xoom, just because. It seems to have cleared up the issue, so far. It is once again connecting to wifi and 4G as it is supposed to. Who knows, but at least it isn't my router, like I had previously thought.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    hi i have got a motterola xzoom and recently put the latest 4.0.4 operating sytem on it and cant find where they have put the WPS on it as with out it, it wont connect to the internet every time i click it it says saved and doesnt connect please help it works on every one else router mine doesnt have a password but when i put a password on it, it still does not work its getting anoying

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

can not collect to the internet where the WPs on the new 4.0.4 software

hi i have got a motterola xzoom and recently put the latest 4.0.4 operating sytem on it and cant find where they have put the WPS on it as with out it, it wont connect to the internet every time i click it it says saved and doesnt connect please help it works on every one else router mine doesnt have a password but when i put a password on it, it still does not work its getting anoying

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Ads