• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Upgrade to ICE or stick with Honeycomb

This is a discussion on Upgrade to ICE or stick with Honeycomb within the ICS General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom ICS Forum category; I'm not a techie, nor do I desire the newest and greatest. So, my Xoom tells me that I can upgrade to ICE Cream, but ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Upgrade to ICE or stick with Honeycomb

I'm not a techie, nor do I desire the newest and greatest. So, my Xoom tells me that I can upgrade to ICE Cream, but I'm always afraid that in doing so I'll cause myself a huge headache. So, is there a distinct advantage to ICS that would warrant the risk?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    for the love of franklin upgrade to anything and get rid of that decrepid old honeycomb. any later version of android is immensely better than hc... (my suggestion would be eos3 (based on jb 4.1.2)) if it's an ota update you have nothing to fear from going to ics. and since it's not the latest and greatest version of android most (if not all by now) apps are compatible with ics.

Try my modified ics boot animation here! <<< click (works with jb too!)

new!>Try my EOS fan boot animation here! <<< click
    if someone helped you, press the "like" button

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    i was the same.Boy I hated ICS at first. you look hard you can even find a thread i started called 'hate ICS, reinstalling honeycomb'

since then ive learned a few tricks, and feature wise, ICS is much better than honeycomb. not to mention play store apps.

i like the option to be able to take screenshots, to check data use on both wifi and LTE, to be able to warn and disable data at usage levels i select, the simple easy one click method to get desktop chrome browser versions of webpages (the old honeycomb method required typing 'about:debug' in browser and manually changing the UA string) etc. Android mobile 'safari' browser is very limited, and restricts content you can use and view. Personally for me, Desktop browser mode is very important for getting the best web experience on the Xoom, but the most important though is compatability. developers are not making apps for honeycomb anymore, they are making apps for ICS and Jellybean- both of which are, or shortly will be available for the Xoom OTA
    Last edited by rive; 12-12-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks everyone. I think I'll take a run at it today. Is there a "backup" you recommend I should do just in case?

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    if you have wifi Honeycomb, you can restore that build software version.

Advice though, backup all files/doc/apps (use appsaver)/music/movies/pictures to the same directories on an external sdcard, or if you dont have one, then to a PC (you can do this with the usb cable, or va wireless LAN using File Manager HD). I say this because it makes it easier to fix any issues you may encounter (simply unmount/restart)

also, after you install ICS you should do a factory reset. this will resolve any upgrade bugs

Software:
    Xoom Software Downloads
    Last edited by rive; 12-12-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey altajoe
    I understand that you are not a techie and so ignoring to upgrade to ICS. But honeycomb was the biggest failure ever made by Android, it is very buggy. I will suggest you to run the upgrade but before running it try some backup app that will save your data and settings that you can restore once upgraded to ICS.

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    i actually liked honeycomb. version 3.2 was fine and most if not all bugs were fixed.

ICS has a few bugs of its own

Remove Ads

Ads