• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Woe! My Xoom seems to become unstable? Any help!

This is a discussion on Woe! My Xoom seems to become unstable? Any help! within the ICS General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom ICS Forum category; Woe! My Xoom seems to become unstable? Any help! Hello! I bought this Motorola Xoom about 8 months or so ago. As soon as I ...

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    All a Twitter!

Unhappy Woe! My Xoom seems to become unstable? Any help!

Woe! My Xoom seems to become unstable? Any help!

Hello! I bought this Motorola Xoom about 8 months or so ago. As soon as I turned it on it updated to ICS. It's been a great little tablet. I think highly of it and have promoted it grealy, although it seems 9 out of 10 seem to think they have to buy the iPad? Go figure? Well the last few times I have used it, it has seemed to become somewhat unstable. I noticed it most on the bookmarks page. That's the page you get to when you touch the bookmark icon in the upper right of the browser. This page would flicker and jump and like a bowl full of jello!

So I deleted all my folders but the last I could not get deleted? Anyway I am getting this "Unfortunately the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped running" a lot more than I think I should. What's that all about? Someone said something about cache or something like that. So I have this program Clean Master and while it works it doesn't seem to stop that message. So I mentioned I deleted all the bookmarks, by the way should I tell you that they are there via Google Sync on my pc? Anyway I've stopped that program from running on the pc just now so I don't know if that will help but was wondering if it has anything to do with it.

Then today, I'm logged onto Facebook. I click Upload a photo. I get to the gallery, I click (touch) the photo and when it goes back to the browser it goes to the homepage instead, not back to Facebook.

My question is this. Is it time to do a full factory reset or is that too drastic? I know I'd have to replace all my apps but it's just not acting like it has in the past. I have not been a hard user. In fact if it was a car I'd call it a creampuff. So it's not hard use. I keep it protected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! jack

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    factory reset
    settings/backup&reset/factory data reset

sounds like possible corruption/bad apps.

what does your antimalware scan say?/what antimalware scanner are you using?

I am constantly having to delete aps off kids tablets, lots of the apps are junk and push adware and or otherwise make the tablet unstable in some cases. lately i have been dealing with an unstable quickoffice pro hd (newest version) version 5.7.327 which crashes everytime i try to edit a .xlsx (excel) file.

it happens. unstable apps, malware, etc. when i updated from honeycomb to ics same kind of issues. i fully expect to have to do a factory reset following the soon to be ota'd Jellybean update on my lte Xoom

Backup, factory reset and install antivirus with antimalware/adware detection
    Last edited by rive; 02-11-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    All a Twitter!
    Rive: I'm not happy to say this but I don't know that I've been using a Malware or anti-virus. This makes me sound stupid but I thought the tablets were pretty much immune to things the desktops and laptops were. I thought I read that somewhere. Apparently I'm off there on that. So is my tablet, upgraded from the box automatically going to upgrade to this Jellybean or is it elective and/or does it cost? I like this program Advanced System Care from IObit. I understand they have a tablet version. Time to get that on there I suspect. Thanks for the great input. If you have any more answers to the above I would be grateful. Jack

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    your asking for trouble if your not using antimalware. there have been numerous incidences of malware making it to android marketplace (It is unknown if there is currently new malware that is is of yet, undetected). Then you have side loaded apps/apps directly downloaded from internet, and many apps on marketplace have adware.

Some antivirus apps don't have ability to detect adware (lookout requires a second app for this), and some are better than than others (avg performed poorly as did McAfee).

Personally I use Eset (aka NOD32), and on kids I use free Norton.

In any event, whatever you choose do not leave default settings- set it for daily scale, daily update, and deep scans (for compressed files), scanning of all file types, and external cards

As for updates, the mz604 is already running jellybean 4.1, within next month or so, the 3g/4g lte Verizon mx602 is scheduled for an ota (over the wire) update. Its free.
    Last edited by rive; 02-11-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JackdaShack View Post
    I like this program Advanced System Care from IObit. I understand they have a tablet version. Time to get that on there I suspect.
    you might want to actually consider getting a good antimalware app, that has been lab tested for malware/adware in apk files

See: August 2012 antivirus Comparative is out

Remove Ads

Ads