• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rooting Jellybean 4.1.1 OTA.

This is a discussion on Rooting Jellybean 4.1.1 OTA. within the Jelly Bean Development forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Jelly Bean Forum category; You can't root the OTA using the, currently available, common methods. A workaround can be had by loading an image containing an earlier bootloader, as ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Rooting Jellybean 4.1.1 OTA.

Agent Xoom
    Member #
    Liked
    102 times

Rooting Jellybean 4.1.1 OTA.

You can't root the OTA using the, currently available, common methods.

A workaround can be had by loading an image containing an earlier bootloader, as explained in this thread over on XDA.

[UPDATE][JB]Stock Android 4.1.1 JRO03H, Root, via CWM Recovery (US Wi-Fi MZ604) - xda-developers
    Cheers
    Ted

xoom wifi, running stock 4.0.4, yes really!
    Sony Xperia Z Tablet 32 gb WiFi.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    BEFORE YOU BEGIN

CUSTOM ROM AVAILABILITY: This is a stock rooted update (stock ROM, stock kernel), NOT a full-featured custom ROM. If you want the latest custom features implemented by developers, install the ROM appropriate for your model (Team EOS Xoom 4G MZ602 JB ROM, Team EOS Xoom Wi-Fi MZ604 JB ROM, others in the forums); otherwise, if you want stock 4.1.1 JRO03H ROM and kernel with root, continue below.

COMPATIBILITY: This update is for the US Xoom Wi-Fi MZ604 ONLY!!! If you have a Xoom 3G/4G, this procedure may break your device. If you have a non-US Xoom Wi-Fi, this procedure may break your device (though some have reported success). The update script verifies only whether the device identifies itself as a Xoom, performing NO CHECKS on the exact model of Xoom before flashing rooted stock 4.1.1 JRO03H system and boot images. This means it won't stop you from flashing on a non-US or 3G/4G device; it will just flash and you're left with the mess (if any). Please proceed only if you're tech-savvy with Android and the Xoom, backed up and ready to restore in case of issues, and good at troubleshooting. Please provide feedback and corrections, and I'll update the post as quickly as I can. Thanks!

WARNING: Following this procedure may damage or permamently destroy your device. This procedure is provided with NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Perform this procedure at your own risk.

SUMMARY

This is a modded update package (update.zip) that updates the US Xoom Wi-Fi from any ROM to stock rooted Android 4.1.1 JRO03H using ClockworkMod Recovery:
    •Flashes bootloader from a previous update (3.2.1 HTK55D) to ensure integrity (bootloader remains unlocked)
    •Flashes the boot partition with rooted stock 4.1.1 boot image, stock kernel
    •Stock kernel includes no extras (overclocking, etc.) from custom kernels
    •Flashes system partition with rooted stock 4.1.1 image (minus the recovery overwrite script; includes gapps)
    •Includes Superuser.apk 3.1.3 and su binary to enable functioning root (thanks, chainsdd)
    •Hardware SDCard continues to be read-only via documented application permissions (now at /storage/sdcard1)
    •Leaves existing recovery partition intact (unmodded stock 4.1.1 update overwrites it on every reboot)
    •Leaves user data intact (note: some users updating from custom ROM's recommend wiping data/factory reset to prevent issues)

PREPARATION•Download the modded Xoom Wi-Fi Android 4.1.1 JRO03H update package
    update_US-Xoom-WiFi-4.1.1-JRO03H_stachre_v01.zip
    MD5: 4e502cde6902343675b57d47e3b4f722

•Ensure you have flashed ClockworkMod Recovery (thanks, solarnz, bigrushdog, koush, et al)
    [Recovery] ClockworkMod 3.2.0.0 (R4c) Modded for Internal media [UPDATED 10/6]
    Note: there are more current recovery options available which are likely compatible; however, these instructions haven't yet been updated accordingly.

•Ensure a physical SDCard with enough free space is installed in your Xoom (required for ClockworkMod Recovery updates; update package requires about 150MB; run adb shell df to get a rough idea of optional nandroid backup size) and have it functioning properly

PROCEDURE1.Backup your data
    If you have issues with this update, you may need to "wipe data/factory reset" before the system will fully boot properly. For some, simply copying the contents of the Xoom's internal storage (mostly music, pictures, videos, etc.) to their PC is enough. Others require backup of their apps, app data, etc. using more robust solutions like Titanium Backup. Backup your data according to your needs.
    2.Copy/download the modded Android 4.1.1 Update package to the SDCard
    3.Reboot into recoverya.Reboot your Xoom
    b.When the Motorola logo splash screen appears, press the Volume Down button to scroll through boot options and select "--> Android Recovery"
    c.Press the Volume Up button to enter Android recovery

4.Wipe cache and dalvik-cache
    Note that in recovery, you use the hardware volume buttons to navigate up and down, and the power button to select. Note also that if you are coming over from a custom ROM, users suggest backing up data and doing a "wipe data/factory reset" in ClockworkMod Recovery instead.a.Select "wipe cache partition"
    b.Select "Yes - Wipe Cache"
    c.Select "advanced"
    d.Select "Wipe Dalvik Cache"
    e.Select "Yes - Wipe Dalvik Cache"
    f.Select "+++++Go Back+++++"

5.Optional: Perform nandroid backup (long)
    If you have issues with this update, you may need to "wipe data/factory reset" before the system will fully boot properly. Performing a nandroid backup in ClockworkMod Recovery allows you to fully restore your device's state if you need to revert for whatever reason. Note that backing up even a bare system runs a few minutes, so this could take a very long time and require the availability of a power charger. You also need sufficient free space on your SDCard to perform the backup; the backup process does not verify required space before starting, simply failing (and wasting your time) if it runs out.a.Select "backup and restore"
    b.Select "Backup"
    c.Be patient

"Backup complete!" will indicate that the update is completed.

6.Perform updatea.Select "install zip from sdcard"
    b.Select "choose zip from sdcard"
    c.Select the modded Android 4.1.1 update package
    d.Select "Yes - Install <filename>"

"Install from sdcard complete." will indicate that the update is completed.
    e.Select "+++++Go Back+++++"
    f.Select "reboot system now"

New bootloader will install. The message, "Congratulation! Your bootloader was successfully upgraded" will be immediately followed by an automatic reboot.

7.Enjoy your rooted Xoom Wi-Fi, running on Android 4.1.1 JRO03H!

POST-UPDATE NOTES
    •Stuck on Motorola logo/Bootloops: Users report "Wipe data/factory reset" in ClockworkMod Recovery often resolves this issue.

CHANGELOG
    •v01: First release, JRO03H; includes root, Superuser.apk, su

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1796335
    tedster and DefinityX like this.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Twitter
    It's a bird
    Nice Tedster and Grant..

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Thanks to this thread I now have a Nandroid called RootedStock for comparison to custom ROMs

Once you have gone through the procedure, you can safely flash a nice touch recovery.
    tedster likes this.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I'm struggling with this... I've rooted once before back in the HC days and got through all the steps just fine. Now I have JB installed as it came from the OTA, so no longer rooted. First, I can't get adb to recognize the Xoom. It shows I have no devices connected although the Xoom is attached to my laptop by a USB cable. I can't remember what cable I used the last time but the one I'm using now is micro-usb on one end (the Xoom) and standard usb on the other (the laptop).

Another thing, on the Xoom, USB Debugging can't be enabled. Don't I need that in order for adb to recognize the device?

Any thoughts guys?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
    I'm struggling with this... I've rooted once before back in the HC days and got through all the steps just fine. Now I have JB installed as it came from the OTA, so no longer rooted. First, I can't get adb to recognize the Xoom. It shows I have no devices connected although the Xoom is attached to my laptop by a USB cable. I can't remember what cable I used the last time but the one I'm using now is micro-usb on one end (the Xoom) and standard usb on the other (the laptop).

Another thing, on the Xoom, USB Debugging can't be enabled. Don't I need that in order for adb to recognize the device?

Any thoughts guys?
    You need to use the cable that came with the Xoom and USB Debugging needs to be enabled. Menu>settings>developer options>usb debugging.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Just ordered a new cable. Couldn't find mine nor do any retailers have one locally. Will give another shot in a week or so.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Xoom WiFi - Original owner - Rooted - EOS 4.2.2 Nightlies

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zigackly View Post
    Thanks to this thread I now have a Nandroid called RootedStock for comparison to custom ROMs

Once you have gone through the procedure, you can safely flash a nice touch recovery.
    This doesn't wipe out your recovery, does it? I got the impression that it's *essentially* a Stock ROM, so you can flash it, make a Nandroid, then reflash back to your Custom ROM (with appropriate wipes, etc inbetween) with your recovery existing through out the process...

Is that right?

DefinityX - Online~Ingame Name since 2002

Motorola Xoom - Rooted - CWM Rogue Recovery 1.5.0/TeamEOS JB - Nightlies
    Motorola DroidX - Stock
    iPod Touch - Jailbroken - (OG) 32gb (Retired)
    HTC Dream - Stock (Retired)

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    I won't wipe out your recovery.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    hello, started the process unlocked, flashed recommended recovery via fastboot. tried to enter recovery and get andy on his back with red triangle. flashed again same thing. i am on stock 4.1.1 trying to get back to root. any suggestions
    OG Droid retired
    OG Droid retired using as night stand clock
    WPDN kewlguy opdn 2.1.1
    Xoom CM10
    DInc 2 s/off
    Galaxy Nexus CM10
    Nexus 7 stock rooted
    Lenovo A1 slim droid

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads