• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

In compatible / issues with apps with JB list

This is a discussion on In compatible / issues with apps with JB list within the Jelly Bean General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Jelly Bean Forum category; Thanks guys, updated thread....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: In compatible / issues with apps with JB list

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks guys, updated thread.
    Fiat Coupe 20VT+ gone but not forgotten. Long live the 350Z.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kenreich View Post
    I wasn't speaking of your Xoom, I was telling you what is happening on mine.
    No need to get snappy, I was just comparing notes. Surely the more data, the better?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    284 times
    Twitter
    twowheelzKc
    Piracy is a major issue for Android, and even more so for Android developers, which is why Jelly Bean introduced App Encryption. But this may be a case of the cure being worse than the disease: hundreds of developers of paid apps have chimed in on a Google Code thread, claiming that the encryption (or more accurately, the location of installed and encrypted apps from the Google Play Store) makes their apps entirely unusable, as account information and other stored data is removed after a device reboot. As a result, Google has apparently disabled the security feature for the Play Store on Jelly Bean devices.
    The issue stemmed from the location of paid apps when using Jelly Bean. When users downloaded a paid app it was installed to an encrypted folder at /mnt/asec, instead of the normal /data/app folder. The purpose of this was to create a per-device encryption key, making the relatively easy piracy on earlier versions of Android obsolete. Unfortunately, some or all apps that register with the Android Account Manager (basically anything that relies on a secure and readily accessible credential) had their stored information wiped after a device reboot. Paid widgets and themes were also reset upon reboot.

The precise source of the bug hasn't been nailed down, though many developers seem to think that the Account Manager simply isn't equipped to deal with the new app location, and that cached information was being inadvertently wiped before the device turned off. Before Google disabled the encryption feature in the Jelly Bean version of the Play Store, developers found a work-around using secondary authentication apps, or simply instructing their users to download apps from the Amazon Appstore or other alternatives. This method essentially side-loaded the paid apps, which put them back in the /data/app directory. The issue has not affected any devices below Android version 4.1.1.
    While the issue has been resolved after a fashion, the developers affected are feeling a sizeable communication rift between the Android community and Google. According to the thread, Google was aware of the issue with encrypted apps since mid-July at least - well before the Jelly Bean update was sent out to Nexus S owners. A handful of issue reports have been merged into the issue page on Google Code, and it's still marked as a medium priority problem slated for repair in a future release of Android. That's little comfort to developers who want both a modicum of piracy protection in the Play Store and functioning apps.*

Source of content - Jelly Bean App Encryption Breaks Thousands Of Apps In The Play Store - Google Disables DRM For Now
    ~without that little voice in your head,
    you wouldn't be able to read this~

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Another bug is that sometimes the notification LED for emails/messages will keep blinking after the message has been read/cleared from notification bar.
    Also, I was watching TV on BBC iPlayer and although it was full screen, the display start to dim and then switch off as though it wasn't playing anything. Did not have this issue in ICS.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Apps incompatible and sometimes system freezes up and have to reboot.

I am not that impressed so far with JB because some of my apps that worked with ICS do not work now and I am getting freeze ups and have to reboot. I had heard that JB was supposed to be silky smooth but so far I haven't seen it, I should have stayed with ICS, it seemed to work better on the Xoom.

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Music Unlimited hasn't been working for me since JB.

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by komoto3030 View Post
    I am not that impressed so far with JB because some of my apps that worked with ICS do not work now and I am getting freeze ups and have to reboot. I had heard that JB was supposed to be silky smooth but so far I haven't seen it, I should have stayed with ICS, it seemed to work better on the Xoom.
    That happened with ICS, too. Patience. The developers will get their apps updated to run properly in JB.
    Team ROOT ~ WiFi running EOS3 Jelly Bean!

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Platinum Air Hockey doe not work properly. Loads up just fine & gets into the game. But the puck does not respond correctly & just sits on the center line. My niece was quite disappointed.
    Team ROOT ~ WiFi running EOS3 Jelly Bean!

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    updated, thanks guys
    Fiat Coupe 20VT+ gone but not forgotten. Long live the 350Z.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    rezadue
    Asphalt 7 now loading extra files and works grrrrrrreat!
    Canadian Motorola Xoom with EOS Jellybean
    Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE with Android 4.0.4

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads