• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Going from 4.0.2 to 4.2

This is a discussion on Going from 4.0.2 to 4.2 within the Jelly Bean General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Jelly Bean Forum category; Afternoon campers...I have a question. I've tried search, but I can't seem to find the right answer to this, and maybe I just haven't read ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Going from 4.0.2 to 4.2

Afternoon campers...I have a question. I've tried search, but I can't seem to find the right answer to this, and maybe I just haven't read thru enough threads, so forgive me if i ask the same question 100 other people have asked. I flashed my xoom wifi + 4g last year from 3.2 to 4.0.2. The question i have is can I use CWM to flash from 4.0 to 4.2? Or do i need to go back to stock and then up to 4.2? Or do i need to do something more labor intensive? As I mentioned I have only done this once and don't mind ding it again, just trying to figure out the easiest and safest way to go about going up to 4.2.

Thanks to everyone for any help or guidance given.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    when you say "flashed", are you referring to the fact that you rooted your xoom?? if that is the case, you have a couple of choices. 1 would be to force the update if your xoom will take it and lose rooting (and then re-rooting if you desire) or use something like voodoo to temporarily unroot your xoom and then take the update. chances are however that when you go to restore from your voodoo (or whichever similar software you choose) it won't re-root properly due to the upgrade you took so you will have to re-root it anyway. the easiest and most efficient way (in my opinion) would be to do some research and select a custom ROM that meets your needs and then flash that to your rooted xoom and you will be more than happy with the upgrade. of course you could restore your xoom to stock (unrooted) update to whatever version you choose and then re-root again. i assume you get the picture that unless you go with a custom ROM chances are there is nothing you can alter to take the upgrade, remain rooted and go on your merry way.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry yes...rooted it the word i wanted to use. So for example i am currently using an old version of TeamEOS ICS, can I use their JB rom and flash over what i already have from them?

Apologies if i'm not using the correct verbiage...still trying to get that nailed down.

And thanks for the welcome

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    the latest EOS stable is 3.0. if you wish to advance beyond that (make certain to read up on some of the limitations as the s/w is constantly evolving), you can use some of the nightlies (wingray, etc) to catch up and get the latest additions/upgrades, etc until the next (assuming the will be one) EOS stable version is released. look through the developement thread stickies, etc and you'll get a good feel for what is currently available and what features exist and which are currently not functional. you can certainly use CWM to upgrade as you go if you wish.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    The Xoom doesn't really meet the specs for 4.2 so the various ROMs have worked around this in different ways. The biggest hassle is the keyboard which doesn't work right until you disable spell check and hide suggestions. I ended up adding the swipe keyboard back to an older release for stability reasons. Still have to disable spell check and the like, but I like the swipe keyboard.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    you are already rooted.so i think you can just download a custom rom and gapps and install zip through CWM.unrooting and going back to stock always poses a potential risk.if you do that be careful.see the thread written by astrix [HOW] Rookie Rooting, Flashing And UnRooting Under One Roof

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyrivera View Post
    Afternoon campers...I have a question. I've tried search, but I can't seem to find the right answer to this, and maybe I just haven't read thru enough threads, so forgive me if i ask the same question 100 other people have asked. I flashed my xoom wifi + 4g last year from 3.2 to 4.0.2. The question i have is can I use CWM to flash from 4.0 to 4.2? Or do i need to go back to stock and then up to 4.2? Or do i need to do something more labor intensive? As I mentioned I have only done this once and don't mind ding it again, just trying to figure out the easiest and safest way to go about going up to 4.2.

Thanks to everyone for any help or guidance given.
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Have you received a satisfactory answer?

LG V60 Dual Screen
    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks everyone for the explanations!!! I'm sure I'm going to have more questions when I actually do this in the next few days. Thanks Again

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Hi there, first off to update to the EOS 4.0 ROMs you will have to update your recovery (twrp or cwm) as the old recoverys don't work properly with the 4.2 roms, its not hard tbh its just like flashing a ROM , just jump over to the xda developers forum, there's guides and step by steps galore on there, no offence to this forum (but it does seem like evry1 from here has gone there too) xda is alot more helpful, the latest nightly #167 is very stable and almost as smooth as butter in my opinion, it has lots of neat tweaks like being able to have the latest 4.2 ROM but with the old style tablet Nav bar at the bottom. Its a welcome upgrade
    UK MZ601 3g+wifi
    Rooted
    Team EOS nightlies

Remove Ads

Ads