• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

XOOM2 linux (debian)

This is a discussion on XOOM2 linux (debian) within the Motorola Xoom 2 Development forums, part of the Motorola Xoom 2 Forum category; Guys, I've got debian linux working on my xoom2 Me wifi. There's still some work with swap files, and something else, but anyway iceweasel (firefox) ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jasuramme

Thread: XOOM2 linux (debian)

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

XOOM2 linux (debian)

Guys, I've got debian linux working on my xoom2 Me wifi.
    There's still some work with swap files, and something else, but anyway iceweasel (firefox) is working prettyfast, I needed to get java working there, and it works as well.
    Currently thats just X11+icewm. To open debian desktop, you connect through remotevnc program. x11vnc server is running on debain.
    It's working through chroot. Filesystem is on 2GB file on your sdcard. Basicly to start it, you just copy files to your XOOM2, start script on terminal emulator and use remotevnc from market. Is it interesting to someone? If yes, after I finish I can upload image of debian for XOOM2 or instructions how to make it.
    Also, if it interesting, what suggestuions for linux? what should be inside?

Many thanks

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Yeah please upload a photo and a how to.
    My Devices-
    HTC ChaCha - Running Rooted CyanogenMod 9 by adlx
    Samsung Galaxy Spica - Rooted CyanogenMod 9

My ROM's-

HTC ChaCha MIUI Port

Wondering what I been up too? Check my GitHub profile.

Xoom Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Twitter
    Ben_J_H
    I run ubuntu using the guide on play store HAHAHA

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_J_H View Post
    I run ubuntu using the guide on play store HAHAHA

that's why i'm asking. but anyway, I think that debian would be faster for tablet.

Just one question, Ben. Is sound work in Ubuntu?

Xoom Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Twitter
    Ben_J_H
    Yes..... Mostly

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Ben, what image you used? big one? I started small image (not core only) but vnc server started only manually, GUI doesn't start at all. No any audio drivers set and alsa tells. that no any soundcards fonud O_o Are you really installed this ubuntu on XOOM2?
    So, anyway I will make guide to install debian. For me, this ubuntu doesn't look like solution to get linux

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Okey, lets start. First what we gonna do is to prepare img file.
    I don't believe, you can do it under windows. So, there only linux commands.
    I will attach image with pure debian, so you can skip this stage.
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=debian.img seek=1900000000 bs=1 count=1 - just creating file, aprox 1.9 GB
    mke2fs debian.img - making ext2 filesystem order inside file mkdir /mnt/debian - creating folder for mount this file mount debian.img /mnt/debian/ - mounting our file in folder. Now if we will write something in folder /mnt/debian, it will write inside our debian.img file cd /mnt/debian - go to mount folder
    apt-get install debootstrap - install debootstrap if not isntalled
    debootstrap - is a program for download linux core
    debootstrap --verbose --arch armel --foreign wheezy debian http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian - So we just run debootstrap to get debian installer wheezy - is codename of last stable debian. --arch armel - means that we want debian for arm architecture and you can replase mirror ftp.us.debian.org with nearest one.
    umount /mnt/debian - unmount image file now we have to push debian inside our motorola. You can also use wifi explorer if you want. connect usb cable, set XOOM2 to debugging mode and use ADB utility. If you don't have it, you can find it in another my post http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/motorola-xoom-2-development/16732-xoom2-adhoc-mode-enable.html#post219886 push debian.img /sdcard/debian/ - just copy debian.img to XOOM2. Probably you have to make debian folder before. push debian.sh /sdcard/debian/ copy startdebian script in use android terminal emulator go to debian folder cd sdcard/debian su - get superuser sh debian.sh - start debian you should be in debian terminal now. shold be something I HAVE NO NAME> in status line
    /debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage - installing debian echo 'deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy main' >/etc/apt/sources.list - add line for debian whould know, where to get programs.
    I added squeeze to sources as well. Just in case. mkdir /mnt/sdcard - we will mount our sdcard there mkdir /mnt/andData - we will mount Data folder as well dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1024 count=524288 - create swapfile mkswap /swapfile and write this in /etc/fstab /swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0 apt-get update - update programs database. exit
    Ok. We installed debian. If you don't want to do it with hands, I will upload image where all of theese steps are done already.
    other linux distributions installing is almost same. Archlinux for example... You download archive with archlinux files and copy it into mount folder.

debian.sh - is downloaded from
    http://linuxonandroid.blogspot.com/ and little bit modified

i will write about all programs and installing GUI next time. (too tired to write )

debian.sh:
    http://depositfiles.com/files/8titdj3u3

if you're using my image file you just have to make debian folder in sdcard. Unpack image and put it with debian.sh in /sdcard/debian
    in
    to start debian from emulator :
    su
    cd /sdcard/debian
    sh debian.sh

debian.img DepositFiles
    luke.arran and HussX like this.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: XOOM2 linux (debian)

Hello.
    The debian archive is not there anymore. Can you please upload it somewhere again?

Sent from my XOOM 2 using Tapatalk HD

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've just started looking into this, I'd be very interested in putting the image on my Xoom 2 ME.

Remove Ads

Ads