• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Xoom 2 Media Edition evaluation

This is a discussion on Xoom 2 Media Edition evaluation within the Motorola Xoom 2 forums, part of the Motorola Xoom 2 Forum category; Hi to the group, Just received my Xoom 2 ME this week. Nice look, nice screen, nice sound. Small and light. Reactive, much faster on ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Xoom 2 Media Edition evaluation

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Xoom 2 Media Edition evaluation

Hi to the group,

Just received my Xoom 2 ME this week.
    Nice look, nice screen, nice sound.
    Small and light.
    Reactive, much faster on the web than my netbook.
    Limited battery life, about 5/6 hours with WiFi enabled.
    Responsive GPS with a quick fix.

Some bugs :
    • the Xoom 2 ME boots as soon as you connect the charger on the USB port. If you switch it off, it reboots immediatly. As a consequence, the charging LED does not work. The only way to see it is to completly discharge the battery. As the Xoom has not enough energy to boot, the white charging ligh comes on for about 2 minutes, then the Xoom boots.
    • no way to make Accuweather widjet works, it refuses to start and to go to the front page of Android
    • "Livres" (Books in english) is absent
    I would be happy to get feedback from othes Xoom 2 ME owners about those behaviors. I do hope 4.0 will correct the problem with the charging LED.

Best regards

G

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Why didn't you buy the original xoom? I just have to ask, I'm very curious.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by F6DFZ View Post
    Hi to the group,

Small and light.

Some bugs :
    • the Xoom 2 ME boots as soon as you connect the charger on the USB port. If you switch it off, it reboots immediatly. As a consequence, the charging LED does not work. The only way to see it is to completly discharge the battery. As the Xoom has not enough energy to boot, the white charging ligh comes on for about 2 minutes, then the Xoom boots.
    • no way to make Accuweather widjet works, it refuses to start and to go to the front page of Android
    I would be happy to get feedback from othes Xoom 2 ME owners about those behaviors. I do hope 4.0 will correct the problem with the charging LED.

Best regards

G
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us. Not much information on them yet as they are relatively new and not many forum members have one yet.

Note 8
    Galaxy S8 Plus
    Nexus 6 - PureNexus

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Castorshells View Post
    Why didn't you buy the original xoom? I just have to ask, I'm very curious.
    Weight, dimensions.
    For exemple, the 8.2 is much more usable in town to locate you than a 10" tablet. It can be put inside a large pocket, try this with the 10" !

G

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by F6DFZ View Post
    Hi to the group,

Small and light.

Some bugs :

Best regards

G
    Accuweather widjet works fine for me !!!!!xoom2 IMG_0064.jpg

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

USB connexion

Bought a micro usb to usb female adapter, and Xoom 2 ME reads LX5 camera and I could transfer pictures. More interesting, I also connected a usb key and could transfer pictures from the key to the tablet, and from the tablet to the key.
    5 from Far East one Bay.

Regards

G

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    MrAshRhodes
    accuweather widget works fine - although i dont use it.

I also have books - doesnt come preinstalled but not a huge issue,

battery life...meh - i use an app called Easy Battery Saver - has various different modes which will "intelligently" turn stuff off - its helped extend my battery use
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---

Xoom 2 Media Edition UK
    Honeycomb 3.2

---

#OPMosh - sign this petition http://www.change.org/petitions/moto...-bootloaders-2
    Annoy @MotoDev and @Motorola

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Xoom 2 ME evaluation, more info

Hi to the group,

After a few days using the Xoom 2 ME, some thoughs, and questions.
    Maps is very usefull, just watch the zone where you want to go in satellite mode, and you can use it out of any connection. GPS is quick and sensitive. GPS Status app is great also to check it. Maps lab also allows to put 16 km around a place in memory. Only wish is the ability to search a location inside that zone, it would be fine.
    Motocast Wi-Fi works OK, but I have been unable to watch films in TS format from a Haupprage TV receiver/recorder connected to a USB port of my PC. Those files are easily read from MS Win Media. The first picture of the beginning of the film appears in Motocast, but it refuses to read it.
    Had difficulties using Motocast USB. Only Settings/Apps/Development/USB debug ON could save the situation. With this setting, Xoom appears in the file manager of the PC, and files can be exchanged.
    No chance to make a standard mouse works, the IR led lighs, but nothing on screen. A USB memory key works fine on the Xoom, and I thought it would be the same with the mouse.
    I was a little more happy with a Trust BT mouse. I could pair it to the Xoom and it worked. The scroll knob was operational, and all mouse buttons were equivalent to a left click. Unfortunatly, when you switch off the mouse, it does not work again with the tablet,
    you have to begin once again all the pairing procedure.
    BookmarkSB is a fine app and I could import in the Xoom my 480 bookmarks from IE easily.

Any comment will be much appreciated.
    Best regards
    Georges

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As a complement of information, I get a low cost USB to SD card reader, and a first price 32Gbyte SD card.
    They works finely with the OTG cable. I could copy on the SD about 11Gbyte of jazz and read them with the tablet without any issue. Usually I transfer a few albums on the tablet and read them with the standard Music App.
    I use also this setup to save data (bookmarks, contacts ) from the tablet to the Sd.
    Regards

Georges
    aajohn likes this.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I really like this tablet. Shame I cant root it but overall its very nice. I miss the haptic feedback like most other android devices out there. I dont really care about SD card slots and the likes. I've never really used them previously when I did have them.
    Charger is pretty good too and charges quickly. I'm using it to charge my Nexus S and Galaxy S too and it charges them much faster than originals.
    The back panel scratches far too easily. I found a pretty decent scratch on the back of the device and it hasnt even been mistreated.
    The volume and power buttons are shit. Thanks to the tablet looking pretty much the same no matter what way around you hold it, you are never really sure where the buttons are and its still difficult even by feel.
    Also, since they are all in the same recess, I find myself pressing the wrong button most times. I'll either lock the screen when i wanna adjust the volume or i'll adjust the volume when im trying to lock the screen. The little markings they put on them are too faint to identify which is which without flipping it over all the time and checking. I much prefer the galaxy tab in that regard.
    Love the screen size. i came from using 10.1 inch tablets and was pretty confident they are the ideal size for a tablet but I reckon thats been challenged. Its easy and comfortable to type on this 8.2inch screen and its still plenty large enough to watch video and browse the web.
    Full brightness isnt very bright compared to my Tab 10.1.
    Love the IR port and the Dijit app is getting a lot of mileage in my house.

Overall a good tablet, just needs bootloader opened up and it'll be great.
    aajohn likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads