• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How much of the SD card functionality is there?

This is a discussion on How much of the SD card functionality is there? within the Motorola Xoom 2 forums, part of the Motorola Xoom 2 Forum category; Hey all, forgive me for yet another SD card thread, but I just had a thought - how 'complete' is the functionality? The software recognises ...

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Twitter
    alexnewbury

How much of the SD card functionality is there?

Hey all, forgive me for yet another SD card thread, but I just had a thought - how 'complete' is the functionality? The software recognises that it's there, (listed in settings) and the mechanism looks pretty much fine, just blocked off. I (like many others) have had a fiddle with trying to remove the blockade to no avail, but has anyone done a teardown to see exactly what is there?

I know that there is a teardown for the Xoom online, and I *think* the 2, but 3g/USA version - I haven't seen any from the UK/EU.

If someone were to get inside and find that only some minor waggling of the socket was needed, they could probably make quite a nice little service out of 're-sding' other Xoom 2's. (But keep it quiet if Motorola are around...) I find it hard to believe that Motorola would implement design changes into mass production, and a half-hearted 'that'll do' block sounds, quite frankly, like something they'd do.

Thoughts? Am I being thick?

Alex

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    i had torn down my device some days ago just to see if we could get the sd-functionality back.

i also uploaded a picture of my xoom 2 en/eu model and we had a slight discussion about the usability of the leftover parts.

so we came to the conclusion that the sd-card connectors might be fully functional, but it wouldn't be that easy toget an reliable solution for the sdcard slot.

here are the pictures:

2012-07-24_00-56-40_270.jpg

cheers

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Twitter
    alexnewbury
    Oh awesome Glad I'm not the only one wondering about it. If the connections are there, what's stopping it working? Is the block impossible to remove, or is there something else stopping it being used?

Also, not that I really want to (yet) - but how did you get into the device? I can't see any screws, so I'm assuming it's all glue?

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Its a bit tricky. The whole area around the back camera is removable. There should be two screws to take out. Now you need som thin but firm plastic tool to open up the device. The whole construction is firmly latched and hold up in place by some pins round the display's borders. Here you have to insert your tool an try to loosen these 'anchors' to take this device apart. Its not that hard if you figure out how to do it but that doesnt mean you couldnt ruin your device if youre being too rude or don't be careful enough. At least i can asure you this device isn't hold together by some nsty glue. This is a really high quality device.

To get back to topic: on the picture you see 8 pins next to the simcard-slot which supposedly are ment for a connection to a microsdcard. So why dont we just cut out this little piece of plastic which blocks our oh so badly needed sdcard-slot? I can tell you that:

The pins that you see here need some extra slot to be soldered to which holds the microsdcard in place and guarantees a reliable contact to the pins of the sdcard. For now we have just 8 little dots of soldering iron on our circuit board of which we dont even know if they even have any functionlity. Well im atm thinking about ordering some microsd-slot and try if i can attach this thing to the board without any major soldering. (any ideas?) then we might see if we can work something out. But i romise you that getting rid of this little piece of plastic blocking our way is the smallest problem were facing here.

Gesendet von meinem XOOM 2 mit Tapatalk 2

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Twitter
    alexnewbury
    Well that makes a lot more sense, thanks I've been looking at replacement card slots in general, and they seem pretty cheap. Obviously this would add more risk, but what I was wondering was what about just removing the whole module, making a note of any odd/moto-specific connections (highly doubtful) and replacing it completely?

This would involve maybe taking the board out (to access the frontside), and completely removing the redundant module. Of course, as long as you're careful, there's nothing to lose - if it doesn't work, just leave the component out, you aren't getting any use from it anyway.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    With what do you want to replace this? I mean ok if you can get your hands on a module with working sdcard socket (some variants seem to have one) you might be able to replace it. And yes the module is indeed necessary as it has the simcard slot on it.

Gesendet von meinem MB860 mit Tapatalk 2

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Twitter
    alexnewbury
    Ahh, sorry I think I got a bit confused there. Thing is though, the SIM card in the wifi version (like mine) surely does nothing? Or am I being dense here?

I've emailed your picture to my dad, as he knows far more about circuit boards (and building/fixing/modifying them) than I do. Hopefully he'll get back with any ideas.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    it would be great if he could tell us which micro-sd socket we need. then we can break our heads about how to solder it to the circuit board.

keep me up2date man, now my fingers are itching again to get this done

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Dead??

Remove Ads

Ads