• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Is my Xoom2 dead?

This is a discussion on Is my Xoom2 dead? within the Motorola Xoom 2 forums, part of the Motorola Xoom 2 Forum category; A couple of days ago my Xoom2 was working normally and had 80-90% charge. I went to bed and the following morning it wouldn't switch ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    callonken

Is my Xoom2 dead?

A couple of days ago my Xoom2 was working normally and had 80-90% charge. I went to bed and the following morning it wouldn't switch on. I press the switch and a red light blinks 3 times and that's it. I tried doing a reset as described in the user guide (vol button + power button) but all that happens is that the red light blinks 3 times and then nothing.

I've not been able to find much about it on the web except that the red light blinking maybe means there's no power, but it was pretty fully charged and I've also tried having it on charge to no avail. When I plug the charger in there's a white light near the connector which, I must admit, I never noticed before but I assume it was always there.

Is this tablet dead? It's only 4 months old.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Not sure about the Xoom 2 but the charger on the OG Xoom is a known issue. If you have access to another charger give it a try.

Note 3 - DARTHSTALKER NOTE3 ☆ | VERSiON 7
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    callonken
    I have read about possible dodgy Xoom2 chargers but how do they manifest their problems? The white light comes on when the charger is plugged in. Also, the tablet was pretty well charged when it was left... unless something strange happened to it, I'd have expected a day or two's life from its existing charge.

I don't have another charger with the correct fitting, although I have connected it to a USB socket. It doesn't provide enough current but it should charge it eventually and it also shows the white light when plugged in.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    callonken
    I've now had it plugged into my USB socket for an hour or so and it came back to life!

It's showing 5% charge and I've now transferred it onto the original charger and it's saying 'charging' and, indeed, the charge shown has now risen to 10%.

On this charger, however, the white inticator at the bottom isn't showing - but then it's no longer showing when plugged in to the USB cable either - so what on earth is this indicator light for?

As I said earlier, I never noticed it previously and I've read variously that it's on when charging and goes green/turns off when fully charged. Nothing I've seen or am seeing actually agrees with this - it says it's charging but now the light is NOT on! The user guide leaves me further confused since it says "Do NOT attempt to connect a charger to the USB port. The USB port is used for data transfer only, NOT for charging" - but it's the USB port that IS used for charging! Such contradictions give me little faith in the guide.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Twitter
    alexnewbury
    Yay! It sounds to me like it was just flat. As in, completely flat, not worth risking boot in case it died halfway through.

Question is, what caused it to go flat so fast in the first place? Mine lasts me two days or so with moderate use, and 15% will last me the night. Did you have lots of apps running with push notifications enabled? A download running? I know that in the past, I've not realised that spotify is still going, and just muted, or simply that my Bluetooth keyboard is connected. Both kill the battery pretty quick.

Sent from my XOOM 2 using Tapatalk 2

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    callonken
    I agree that it behaved as though it was deader than a dead thing! It's never done anything like this before and I didn't think I had any apps that would drain the battery so quickly. Like you, I normally expect a couple of days use between charges so when it seemed dead overnight having been pretty fully charged it made me think that it must have had some catastrophic event!

I've been trying to think what might have been running in the background but I don't think anything was running that hadn't been running previously. Very curious... and still it charges but that white indicator is not on. Maybe it means the battery is too dead to start the machine so keep charging, i.e. ir indicates charging through a critical phase

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    This happened to my xoom 2 a few weeks after i bought it and like you i thought it was dead. I even left it on charge over night and it still wouldn't turn on. In the end out of desperation i plugged it into a usb cable and connected it to my laptop and it came straight on. It did happen a few times after that but since for the last few months has worked fine but i do make sure i dont let the battery go completely flat.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    This happened to my xoom 2 a few weeks after i bought it and like you i thought it was dead. I even left it on charge over night and it still wouldn't turn on. In the end out of desperation i plugged it into a usb cable and connected it to my laptop and it came straight on. It did happen a few times after that but since for the last few months has worked fine but i do make sure i dont let the battery go completely flat.
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Thanks for the additional information.

Note 3 - DARTHSTALKER NOTE3 ☆ | VERSiON 7
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Twitter
    alexnewbury
    It seems to fly in the face of every lesson ever regarding USB vs. Mains with charging gadgets, but it seems that this is fairly common. I've heard that there are issues with the mains chargers, so perhaps it's just the transformer/connection going in the wall-wart. Does the mains charger do anything now, or is it still not making any difference?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    callonken
    The charger SEEMS to have been working OK in that the tablet says it charged it from 5% all the way up to 100%. It's almost as though the battery was so flat it was overwhelmed by the charger and only could accept a slow trickle charge from a USB connection until it had enough life.

Of course, it doesn't explain how it went from 90% to totally flat overnight. If (or when) it happens again, I've got another charger I could try, if I first 'adapt' its connector to micro-usb. I don't expect this sort of misbehaviour from linux based computers!

Still, I'm happy it's working again and will be interested to see if it's got any charge left in the morning!

Ads