• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Connecting Canon EOS 450d to Motorola Xoom via OTG cable.

This is a discussion on Connecting Canon EOS 450d to Motorola Xoom via OTG cable. within the Motorola Xoom Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Hi all, I am really struggling. I got an OTG cable to connect my camera directly to my Xoom. It won't see it. In theory ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nohholmez

Thread: Connecting Canon EOS 450d to Motorola Xoom via OTG cable.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Connecting Canon EOS 450d to Motorola Xoom via OTG cable.

Hi all,

I am really struggling. I got an OTG cable to connect my camera directly to my Xoom. It won't see it.

In theory according to the internet, you should just plug it in, the gallery on the xoom should open and everyone is happy.

Unfortunately, it's not seeing the camera. I also have the app DSLR controller and it's not seeing the camera through that either so there is definitely a connectivity issue.

My 450d is running what appears to be the most recent firmware, my Xoom is also up to date and is a UK wi-fi model running Android 3.2.

Here is the cable I bought - Micro USB Host Mode On The Go OTG Cable for Xoom: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I'm thinking it could be a rubbish cable causing the issue but I have no way to test it as I have nothing else to plug into it. I did try and sandisk usb stick but it didn't see that. HOWEVER, I've seen on the internet that it might not see that so that's not conclusive. I just wanted to make sure I am not being an idiot and actually my camera is not compatible before I decide the cable is the problem.

Here is a youtube video showing a 450d connected so Samsung tab and this works so in theory the camera can connect via this kind of cable.

As I said I have seen mentioned elsewhere of the 450d being connected to a xoom no problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, tried the obvious so reboot of the xoom, turning it on and plugging it in at various different stages but no joy.

Many thanks!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. I purchased the Motorola Camera Connection Kit and have no problems with my camera or usb stick drives. I think it's been posted here before, the official Motorola Kit is more expensive but it works.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3876 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. I purchased the Motorola Camera Connection Kit and have no problems with my camera or usb stick drives. I think it's been posted here before, the official Motorola Kit is more expensive but it works.
    I feel like it's the cable that is the issue which is a shame. I wasn't keen on forking out for the official one but if it works I may have to. It's a bit frustrating that I don't have anything I can test. Would a regular usb mouse in theory work if I used that to test?

Cheers for the reply

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by nohholmez View Post
    I feel like it's the cable that is the issue which is a shame. I wasn't keen on forking out for the official one but if it works I may have to. It's a bit frustrating that I don't have anything I can test. Would a regular usb mouse in theory work if I used that to test?

Cheers for the reply
    A mouse should work as a test. When connecting the camera make sure the Xoom and camera are on and it should take you to the gallery app. We've had threads here in the past where not all cameras are recognized even with in the same branding.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    A mouse should work as a test. When connecting the camera make sure the Xoom and camera are on and it should take you to the gallery app. We've had threads here in the past where not all cameras are recognized even with in the same branding.
    Yeah I've had a read through the previous posts and there have been quite a few mentions of Canon DSLS's working fine but I was concerned as mine is getting on a bit now that it might be too old. I will see if I can get a mouse working. I hope it is the cable because that's fixable. I really do like my xoom and being able to direct connect with my camera would be a massive win!

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by nohholmez View Post
    Yeah I've had a read through the previous posts and there have been quite a few mentions of Canon DSLS's working fine but I was concerned as mine is getting on a bit now that it might be too old. I will see if I can get a mouse working. I hope it is the cable because that's fixable. I really do like my xoom and being able to direct connect with my camera would be a massive win!
    Keep us posted.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Keep us posted.
    Will do, HATE it when people ask for help and then don't bother posting the solution!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Finally got an official Motorola cable which fixed the problem immediately. As others have said, don't bother with rubbish cables.
    ggrant3876 likes this.

Remove Ads

Ads