• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Motorola Active Stylus Pen

This is a discussion on Motorola Active Stylus Pen within the Motorola Xoom Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Has anyone used the Motorola Active Stylus Pen with the Xoom 2 or the XYboard? Is it worth buying? How accurate is the pen tracking? ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jmirko

Thread: Motorola Active Stylus Pen

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Motorola Active Stylus Pen

Has anyone used the Motorola Active Stylus Pen with the Xoom 2 or the XYboard? Is it worth buying? How accurate is the pen tracking? Is there palm rejection? Is there handwriting recognition? Is it usable for taking notes at meetings / school?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
    Has anyone used the Motorola Active Stylus Pen with the Xoom 2 or the XYboard? Is it worth buying? How accurate is the pen tracking? Is there palm rejection? Is there handwriting recognition? Is it usable for taking notes at meetings / school?
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. I have the OG Xoom and use the ZooGue Stylus and Pen which you can get for free, just pay shipping.
    FREE iPad Stylus & Pen

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Did you get one in the end? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about them - some places say Xoom OG and Xoom 2 only and others say it works with the Xoom 2 ME (which I believe is the same as the XYboard)

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisinleedsuk View Post
    Did you get one in the end? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about them - some places say Xoom OG and Xoom 2 only and others say it works with the Xoom 2 ME (which I believe is the same as the XYboard)
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Yes, I received the ZooGue Stylus for just the shipping and it works on the OG Xoom and should work on all the variants.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisinleedsuk View Post
    I suspect that it works as an active stylus with the Xoom 2, and only as a capacitive pen with the ME or any other capacitive screen.
    Mine is in transit from the US - once it arrives, I will keep you posted. I have a Xoom 2 and my wife an ME, so I should be able to test the theory.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So I received the Motorola Active Stylus Pen and finally got around to sharing my experience with it.

The pen has hard plastic tip, as opposed to capacitive pens, which have soft rubber tips. The tip is also smaller (more precise) than capacitive pen tips, so it seems to have been designed for handwriting. Unfortunately this is not the case, for two reasons. First, the hard tip makes loud clicking noises when writing, which is disturbing in any quiet environment. Second, and more important, it did not provide a satisfactory writing experience with any of the apps I tried. While it works fine navigating the op. system (i.e. using it as you would your finger), handwriting is not great with any of the apps I have tried.

There are some apps (such as the built-in StickyNotes) which allow you to write anywhere on the page directly, as you would on paper. This is the most natural and fastest way to handwrite. Unfortunately, the pen is not precise enough to write small letters, and even medium-size letters are worse than on paper. Also, there is no palm rejection, so you must be careful not to touch the screen with your hand while you are writing.

The second group of apps will allow you to write on predefined places on the page (usually the bottom). This means you can write big, so your letters will look good. You also don't need to worry about touching the screen. Whatever you write will appear in another place on the screen with a smaller size. This works o.k., but it's not a natural way to write. I am not sure I could get used to it in a real-life situation.

My overall conclusion is that the Motorola Active Stylus Pen is not worth the price. It works about the same as any capacitive pen - it is better in that it has a smaller tip, but this advantage is compensated by the loud clicking noise it makes when touching the screen. Considering the price difference, I would go for a capacitive pen with a relatively small tip instead.

This also means that you shouldn't buy the Motorola Xoom 2 for the handwriting. It is no more suitable for handwriting than any capacitive tablet with any capacitive pen. If you are looking for a good handwriting experience in a tablet, I believe the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is currently your best choice. If you need handwriting but not the other tablet functions, I can recommend the ASUS EeeNote EA-800, which is available on Ebay for USD 200 (new), with free international shipping. Both of these devices have a Wacom digitiser built in, which makes the handwriting precise enough to replace your paper notebooks.

P.S. I tested the stylus on the Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition (this is the 8.2 inch version of the tablet). This tablet does not even detect the Motorola Active Stylus Pen. It should however work with any capacitive pen, and as you have read above, this should provide a very similar experience.
    ggrant3876 likes this.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I got a "stylus" at Walgreens for $4. Works with different touch screen devices. Does a good job for me. Low tech, but hey, it works for me.
    Xoom Wi-fi Stock
    32GB (+32GB Micro SD)
    JB 4.1.2 OTA

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I know you wrote this some time ago, but I actually did a video review of it, as I just got one. I like it. Is it anything super fantastic? In my opinion, no. It's going to be a matter of preference. Check out my video review on Youtube if you like:

Remove Ads

Ads