• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[DIY] MicroUSB Host Cable

This is a discussion on [DIY] MicroUSB Host Cable within the Motorola Xoom Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Originally Posted by oshigeru Any terminal emulator. The Xoom acts as the computer. I have tried android terminal emulator and better terminal emulator pro and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: [DIY] MicroUSB Host Cable

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oshigeru View Post
    Any terminal emulator. The Xoom acts as the computer.
    I have tried android terminal emulator and better terminal emulator pro and neither will see my htc desire running 2.3.3. It says debugging connected on my desire but when i type something like "adb shell" into the emulator it says "error: device not found". also "adb devices list" shows no devices connected.

Do you have to do something special?

BTW i know my host cable and usb cables are good cuz i can access and change files on flash drives and even a wd portable 640gb hard drive.

Updated my kernel from Tiamat 1.4.0 to 1.4.1 and it works perfectly!

And in case anyone is wondering this is the cable I got and it works with everything I have thrown at it except a piece of crap (sometimes doesn't like to format) intel flash drive i got for free with a purchase from newegg.
    eBay host cable $5.99 shipped
    Last edited by 87racer; 05-06-2011 at 12:55 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Don't know if this will help anyone, but here's my cable with pics...

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Nice! Glad I could help! Mind if I use those images? Better walk-through here: [Guide] [ADV] Everything You Need to Know About USB Host Mode - xda-developers
    Quote Originally Posted by the_kwa View Post
    Don't know if this will help anyone, but here's my cable with pics...

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    I'm away from home for a couple days, so I don't have my OTG cable or Xoom with me unfortunately, but I had a question.

The OTG cable makes the Xoom act as the host, so what happens when you connect the Xoom via USB to a PC using the OTG cable? With the standard cable, it shows up as a digital camera like device and you can access the files on the Xoom. Does this still happen with an OTG cable? Or is it no longer recognized by Windows as a storage device?

The reason I ask is because I am modifying my standard Motorola dock to have a USB and full size HDMI connection in the back. If the OTG function limits the connectability in any way, I will do a DIY OTG cable like this but make the OTG function run off of a switch so it will truly be an all-in-one dock.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

If you don't want to make your own I use this USB host cable and it works great. Have tested it with my 750gb Oyen and 320gb WD Passport external HDD's, several usb flash drives (8-16gb), San disk USB memory card reader, and a USB keyboard.

For those having issues getting their Xoom to recognize USB storage devices here's what I've got and did to get it to work: I flashed my XOOM (3.1) to the 2.6.36.4 Tiamat_Xoom-v1.4.4-Full_Throttle Kernel and was unable to get the USBMount to recognize drives or storage at first.

I installed USB Mass Storage Watcher from the market (it's free) and it works awesome! Can mount any storage I want (NTFS, FAT16/32, HFS, HFS+, EXT2, ETX3, EXT4) with any capacity. I think this app will work with any rooted Xoom (or other devices). Under my Kernel my USB host is located under/usbOTG.

Hope this helps.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My XOOM can read SD card and also download photos from my camera through the Motorola camera Kit. However, it does not read the USb pendrive. I have the 3.2 updated version WIFI only model.
    Any help or suggestions?

thanks to all out there...

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by yusufzammit View Post
    My XOOM can read SD card and also download photos from my camera through the Motorola camera Kit. However, it does not read the USb pendrive. I have the 3.2 updated version WIFI only model.
    Any help or suggestions?

Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Theme Developer

Member #
    Liked
    290 times
    Twitter
    Bazar6
    ROMs
    1 Submitted
    Themes
    37 Submitted
    Quote Originally Posted by yusufzammit View Post
    Any help or suggestions?

Welcome to the forum!

Does your USB stick have software on it? When you plug it in to the computer, can you view the contents in a regular Windows File Explorer window or do you have to go thru it's own software due to encryption or automatic backup?

If it has this, I've heard that it will not read the drive. You have to format the drive on your computer first (back up everything on it, formatting will delete all contents). Also, it may just be the drive. Only 1 of my 3 USB gig sticks work, but they've all been formatted multiple times to try to get it to work.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks dudes, much appreciate your help. i will try several optional and let you know.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Great thread.

Quick question though. I'm trying to do this with my xoom hd dock. I have red, white, green, black, yellow and brown. On my host cable I have 5 wires. Red, white, green, black and a bare copper wire.
    ?
    I believe the yellow cable is some sort of audio ground. Does it matter if I just leave it off? What do you think I should do with the bare copper wire?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads