• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[DIY] MicroUSB Host Cable

This is a discussion on [DIY] MicroUSB Host Cable within the Motorola Xoom Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Hey guys. This is assuming you know the basics of how to splice a cable together. After 3 tries, I finally figured out the trick ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: [DIY] MicroUSB Host Cable

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Lightbulb [DIY] MicroUSB Host Cable

Hey guys. This is assuming you know the basics of how to splice a cable together.

After 3 tries, I finally figured out the trick to making your own USB host mode cable.

You need one of these:

EDIT: To clarify:

So in a normal micro/mini USB cable, there are 4 wires, 5 pins.
    1. Red - V+
    2. White - Data -
    3. Green - Data +
    4. Empty
    5. Black - Ground

That micro male to mini female cable above has the 4th (5th?) wire, brown. This is the ID wire. Shorted to ground, it makes the cable a host cable.

To DIY a MicroUSB Host Cable, you need one of the above adapters (Motorola brand) and a normal USB extension cable (any kind will work - I used a generic. Every one that I cut had 4 wires of the same color.)

1) Cut and strip the extension cable about halfway down for extra length. Keep the female end.

2) Snip the mini-micro adapter at the female end, right in front of the plug, again for the most length possible. Extra length helps with both physical strain on the Xoom's end, and it's always nice to have extra length. Remember, you can't uncut wires. :]

3) Next, match colors. Red to red, white to white, green to green, black to black.

3a) Twist each pair together, then add the single brown wire to the black pair.

3b) Solder each set together, shield it so as not to cause shorts (I like hot glue, personally. Electrical or duct tape will work though.)

4) You end up with a male MicroUSB to female USB-A cable. Test it by plugging your phone into Xoom! - Host cable into the Xoom, Normal micro cable into the female end of the host cable, other end of that into your phone. You can ADB!!

I did this because I didn't want to wait. Ordered a chinese one off of eBay anyway. They both perform just the same.

I'd say I'm not responsible for messing up your Xoom, but there's really nothing you can do to mess it up. Worst case, you have a crossed cable.
    Last edited by oshigeru; 04-25-2011 at 10:49 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Would appreciate it if you could make the last paragraph a little clearer. Match which wires by colour?

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelinCanada View Post
    Would appreciate it if you could make the last paragraph a little clearer. Match which wires by colour?
    Sorry, wrote that in a hurry.

1. Red - V+
    2. White - Data -
    3. Green - Data +
    4. Empty
    5. Black - Ground

That micro male to mini female cable above has the 4th (5th?) wire, brown. This is the ID wire. Shorted to ground, it makes the cable a host cable.

To DIY a MicroUSB Host Cable, you need one of the above adapters and a normal USB extension cable. Cut and strip the extension cable about halfway down for extra length. Keep the female end. Snip the mini-micro adapter at the female end, right in front of the plug, again for the most length possible. You'll need it if you mess up. Remember, you can't uncut wires. :]

Now, just match colors. Red to red, white to white, green to green, black to black. Twist each pair together, then add the single brown wire to the black pair. Solder each set together, shield it so as not to cause shorts (I like hot glue, personally. Electrical or duct tape will work though.) You should end up with a male MicroUSB to female USB-A cable. Test it by plugging your phone into Xoom! - Host cable into the Xoom, Normal micro cable into the female end of the host cable, other end of that into your phone. You can ADB!!

I did this because I didn't want to wait. Ordered a chinese one off of eBay anyway. They both perform just the same.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oshigeru View Post
    You need one of these:

4) You end up with a male MicroUSB to female USB-A cable. Test it by plugging your phone into Xoom! - Host cable into the Xoom, Normal micro cable into the female end of the host cable, other end of that into your phone. You can ADB!!
    Where did you get these at? I tried a DIY cable myself using on of the three USB cables I have for my Droid, plus a standard USB-A extension cable. But as you pointed out, there was no 5th wire for pin #4 in the micro cable, only four.

I'm kind of confused now, as to what I need (preferably either locally, i.e. radio shack, best buy, or on Amazon - I don't like eBay.) Is it ANY micro USB type A? Whats the difference between an A and a B?

Thanks!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi!

i making the same wire, with one connector USB female standar, and one micro USB of blackberry, well, when i cut the wires i look 5 wires : white, blue, red, green ,black.

I solder the wires with his respective colour and when i connect at my xoom one Pendrive (16gb) don't work... where's the problem?... may be the black, doesn't the correct?

Sorry for my english, i don't speak it
    htcspain Rules

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Try some different drives. I have a non-diy host cable that only works with some flash drives. All of my sandisks work so if you have one of those try that.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesismore View Post
    Where did you get these at? I tried a DIY cable myself using on of the three USB cables I have for my Droid, plus a standard USB-A extension cable. But as you pointed out, there was no 5th wire for pin #4 in the micro cable, only four.

I'm kind of confused now, as to what I need (preferably either locally, i.e. radio shack, best buy, or on Amazon - I don't like eBay.) Is it ANY micro USB type A? Whats the difference between an A and a B?

Thanks!
    Try a verison authorized retailer - not wireless zone. Think smaller.

I think any blackberry micro cable should do. I believe they have all 5 wires. I'll double check that today.

If you look up usb on wikipedia, it tells you all the different types. You want the one with the angled sides, not rectangular.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    What did you solder to black? It should be the blue one.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oshigeru View Post
    Sorry, wrote that in a hurry.

1. Red - V+
    2. White - Data -
    3. Green - Data +
    4. Empty
    5. Black - Ground

To DIY a MicroUSB Host Cable, you need one of the above adapters and a normal USB extension cable. Cut and strip the extension cable about halfway down for extra length. Keep the female end. Snip the mini-micro adapter at the female end, right in front of the plug, again for the most length possible. You'll need it if you mess up. Remember, you can't uncut wires. :]

Now, just match colors. Red to red, white to white, green to green, black to black. Twist each pair together, then add the single brown wire to the black pair. Solder each set together, shield it so as not to cause shorts (I like hot glue, personally. Electrical or duct tape will work though.) You should end up with a male MicroUSB to female USB-A cable. Test it by plugging your phone into Xoom! - Host cable into the Xoom, Normal micro cable into the female end of the host cable, other end of that into your phone. You can ADB!!

When you say you can adb do you mean adb the phone from the xoom? What app do you use?

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 87racer View Post
    When you say you can adb do you mean adb the phone from the xoom? What app do you use?
    Any terminal emulator. The Xoom acts as the computer.
    hotrocks72 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads