• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Motorola Xoom Accessory Hacks/ Sound Dock Syncing.

This is a discussion on Motorola Xoom Accessory Hacks/ Sound Dock Syncing. within the Motorola Xoom Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Motorola Xoom Standard Dock Sync Modification . I have had my Motorola Xoom now for almost 2 months and the experience has been bitter sweet ...

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Motorola Xoom Accessory Hacks/ Sound Dock Syncing.

Motorola Xoom Standard Dock Sync Modification.

I have had my Motorola Xoom now for almost 2 months and the experience has been bitter sweet to say the least. Like everyone else owning a Xoom, having faith in Motorola and Google has become a little more than a requirement. I love my Xoom and would not trade it for an Ipad in the world primarily because it can do anything I want it to do and in the future it will do absolutely everything. My only real gripe with the Motorola Xoom is one that is not really one with the Xoom but one with the availability of accessories for the Xoom and this is the sole reason why I would be jealous of an Ipad owner. So, with that being said, I make do with what I have available to me as a Motorola Xoom Owner, and as such, After realizing that the only solution Motorola has offered in the way of a Dock will not synchronize with my desktop, I just had to formulate a solution. This is detailed coverage of my Modification of the Motorola Standard Dock.
    The first step was to take the thing apart. For this you will need a set of Torx Drivers I got this one from amazon.com for all of $4.
    Amazon sent it to me free of charge for signing up for something they call Amazon Prime which aside from including free shipping on any item, with a 3 day turnaround, they include second day air for $3 on anything you buy, free viewing of over 5000 movies all for $80 for a year of service. A great deal by any measure.
    The second part of the equation was to take the dock apart…
    On the underside of the dock you will find a single rubber mat covering the entire base of the dock. This can be peeled off with some effort but be careful not to tare it because you will need to reuse this once the mod is complete. I employed the use of a heat gun (a hair dryer will suffice). Apply even non melting heat to warm up the entire pad. Once warmed to about 80 degrees or so the glue sticking the rubber to the dock will soften and allow for easy removal of the rubber. This will expose a thin plastic sheet which covers the Torx screw holes and helps the rubber foot to adhere to the base of the dock, you will need to remove just enough of this plastic to expose the holes so you can remove the screws. Once removed you are half way there.
    The third step is to find a spare Micro USB Chord and butcher it for the cable you will need to ultimately connect the dock to your pc… the xoom comes with one that great for the job (Cheap and you should use a gold plated one for max transfer speed anyway) since you will want to eventually replace that one with a better quality gold tipped one anyway. …
    You will need to cut this cable as close to the micro usb end as possible because the longer the cable you have remaining the better for the final product. Clean the wire and expose the four or five individual wires on the inside, separate the shielding and remove the foil coating as pictured.
    Now here is the hard part. You will either need to replace the docks original usb cable with one of your own or butcher the one in the dock, I know , I know it sounds permanent and drastic but hey, “do you wanna live forever?”…I choose the latter method and chopped the cable in half…connect the red to red, black to black and so forth until the red, black, green and white wires from your spare cable and from the dock micro usb connector are wired together. Tape them off ..

The next step will be to attach the yellow cable to the stranned sheilding wires of your spare cable and tape that off as well. now you are finished. Neeten up and colse the patient up…

I used a nibbler tool to cut a section out of the back panel of the dock so the new permanent usb cable will have a path out of the dock…remember not to cut this hole the same size of the usb cable (it needs to be about half the diamated of the cable in depth. because you will want the cable to be almost choking when you close the dock back up…this allows the cable to be secured to the dock from being yanked out by accident ( A dremil tool may have done a better job..…)
    Now you have a fully functional Sync/Charge Dock…no audio Aux though…if anyone has better knowledge of wiring multiple USB ports please let me know . I believe this rudimentary rewiring can be done in an manner as to reactivate the aux port while keeping the sync functionality…enjoy…

Link to Pictures:

Motorola Xoom Standard Dock Sync Mod pictures by edselector - Photobucket

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for this much appreciated. I will have to do this for my Motorola Atrix and Xoom docks. I Don't understand why they would make a dock station and no syncing option, it kind of defeats the purpose. Specially for any app developers out there.

Good pictures.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Twitter
    thetechguru_net
    Thanks for this. I had purchased two standard docks. One for bed side and one I was going to hack into my car, but the area I was going to put it doesn't have enough room without blocking air vents, so I will be going with a PadHolder instead, so I was looking for something else interesting to do with the spare dock. This is definitely a good option (although I'll need to adapt for the standard, rather than sound dock).

Alan
    "As a member of the Verizon Wireless Customer Council I received a Motorola Xoom for free in exchange for giving them and posting my honest review of the device.”

Jay
    Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by watsen678 View Post
    hello,
    the motorola photon is the next 4g device in the line up for sprint's network. The gingerbread phone sports a 4.3 qhd touchscreen display along with a kickstand. The device seems rather similar to the atrix, but it does seem to have it's own charm about it. The motorola photon sports a dual-core tegra 2 chip with wimax, cdma, and gsm capabilities. The android device can reach up to ten hours of talk time and is powered by a 1700mah battery. To keep your motorola photon protected, why not it with some of our motorola photon accessories?
    wt???????????
    Last edited by Ollie; 10-14-2011 at 01:28 AM. Reason: keep it clean

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    284 times
    someone else here did an hdmi mod to the standard dock.very cool stuff the docks should have come with more ports.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    I have never owned a dock until they gave me one with the upgrade. I still can't use either one until I get home in a couple of weeks.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Remove Ads

Ads