• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Wacom tablet compatibility

This is a discussion on Wacom tablet compatibility within the Motorola Xoom Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Curious if anyone has tried hooking a Wacom drawing pad up to their Xoom. I'd like to turn my Xoom into a nice mobile drawing ...

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Twitter
    TKfromCLE

Question Wacom tablet compatibility

Curious if anyone has tried hooking a Wacom drawing pad up to their Xoom. I'd like to turn my Xoom into a nice mobile drawing 'studio' but the touch screen/stylus combo isn't cutting it.

Alternatively, if you have a stylus recommendation send it my way

ROM: Honeycomb 3.0.1
    KERNEL: Stock
    My precious is lost and alone out there in this big, scary world. I hope she gets home soon, and safely.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    That's a great idea but I haven't tried it yet. I guess theoretically you could do this now (physically at least) with an OTG cable and the new 3.1 release. I am expecting it will need drivers to do this but I am not real tech savy.

I would love to be able to do this. I have been using a large Wacom tablet for years for my work and I agree the big, fat stylus available to xooms (and Ipads) its not the best....

If you are asking about stylus available now, there are several that work with the Ipad that work well with he xoom. I picked up one at BB. The problem right now I see with the stylus and the xoom is the apps are not optimized and they run slow, ie cant keep up with pen movement, which really dampers my stylus use right now.

BTW, have you seen the HTC Flyer tablet videos?; it appears it was designed with a pressure sensitive stylus and honeycomb has been tweaked to utilize this.

What would be great too, if feasible, is to have honeycomb tweaked on the xoom to do the same thing, besides supporting an external pressure tablet.

John

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Twitter
    TKfromCLE
    If you are asking about stylus available now, there are several that work with the Ipad that work well with he xoom.
    I picked up a Targus stylus from WalMart, but I wasn't impressed. Big, fat and smooshy tip wasn't good for notes, decent for drawing.

The problem right now I see with the stylus and the xoom is the apps are not optimized and they run slow, ie cant keep up with pen movement, which really dampers my stylus use right now.
    I used SBM and Handrite. Both of those worked OK.

What would be great too, if feasible, is to have honeycomb tweaked on the xoom to do the same thing, besides supporting an external pressure tablet.
    YES! This x100,000,000!!!

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Twitter
    windtrainer
    I tried pairing my Bluetooth Wacom tablet with my Xoom - it paired fine and I could see the cursor, but the tablet motion only functioned on a small portion of the Xoom screen (perhaps a fifth of the surface area?).

Ross

Edit: I emailed Wacom tech support about drivers and got a short reply that drivers were only available for (insert list of every computer OS but Android) and there was no mention of future plans.
    Last edited by RossVTaylor; 07-15-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I hooked up my intuos 3 to my xoom running 3.2 using OTG cable. Indicator on the wacom lights up when receiving pen input but nothing happens on the xoom. I guess it needs a driver for android.

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Twitter
    ChrisFrontRoyal
    The Xoom (and other tablet) screens are capacitive, they will not work with Wacom-style stylii.

Yes, the stylus from Targus etc is "fat and smooshy", but that is the nature of the tablet screens including the Xoom. They are not designed for high-fidelity drawing like that by directly using fine-nib stylii etc. The couple of half-decent drawing programs out now rely on zooming to increase resolution, and selecting fine lines in the software, to get detailed work.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey guys, i own a wacom tablet too. I'm guess that they'll eventually create the proper drivers for honeycomb since its in their interest to be compatible across multiple platforms/OS...

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Twitter
    windtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellow_Droid View Post
    Hey guys, i own a wacom tablet too. I'm guess that they'll eventually create the proper drivers for honeycomb since its in their interest to be compatible across multiple platforms/OS...
    I certainly hope so but they were not encouraging...

]

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    This may be old news ... I see this is a year old but I just plugged in my old Wacom tablet via usb and played aroun in Sketchbook Pro and Adobe ideas on my xoom (running the latest update ... jellybean - apologies if thats wrong I tend to lose track of these names they give them) ... anyway - worked great even took pressure sensitivity in Adobe Ideas . .. a surprise. The Wacom is back from my mac clamshell days an ET-0405-U if thats any help. I'd just been wondering about mouse support and saw that that had been done so got curious about the wacom and it worked as soon as i plugged in.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorymcgaughey View Post
    This may be old news ... I see this is a year old but I just plugged in my old Wacom tablet via usb and played aroun in Sketchbook Pro and Adobe ideas on my xoom (running the latest update ... jellybean - apologies if thats wrong I tend to lose track of these names they give them) ... anyway - worked great even took pressure sensitivity in Adobe Ideas . .. a surprise. The Wacom is back from my mac clamshell days an ET-0405-U if thats any help. I'd just been wondering about mouse support and saw that that had been done so got curious about the wacom and it worked as soon as i plugged in.
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us.

Note 8
    Galaxy S8 Plus
    Nexus 6 - PureNexus

Remove Ads

Ads