• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

AVG Keeps Freezing

This is a discussion on AVG Keeps Freezing within the Motorola Xoom Apps forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Hey, just wondering if anyone else is having this problem but when I run a scan using AVG AnitVirus it will scan for about 1 ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

AVG Keeps Freezing

Hey, just wondering if anyone else is having this problem but when I run a scan using AVG AnitVirus it will scan for about 1 minute then quit giving me the message 'Unfortunately, Antivirus has stopped.' Is anyone else having problems? What could this be? Maybe I have a virus??

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Twitter
    It's a bird
    Try to uninstall and reinstall the AVG

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    just uninstall it, you really do not need it :-) if you not side loading apps you should be fine.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling...still force closing on me. As for the comment above...im going to admit I do with not admitting it as I'm sure thats highly not recommended on here. Any other ideas? Any better antivirus that is better?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    238 times
    Twitter
    RayHodge02
    Well you will get different people telling you yes you need an anti virus some will say you don't I use Norton if you truly go to trusted sites you shouldn't need it

Sent from my Xoom using Xparent Red Tapatalk

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delux0 View Post
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling...still force closing on me. As for the comment above...im going to admit I do with not admitting it as I'm sure thats highly not recommended on here. Any other ideas? Any better antivirus that is better?
    linux has not had 1 true virus, as for android (which runs a linux kernel), only malware is ad popups from a few bad apps. just scare tactics.
    no virus for android either.
    antivirus scanners just slow down your xoom
    if your rooted you can use tibu to remove it.
    if not do a hard reboot (vol up and power) and try again.
    good luck bud!

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Unfortunately you would be incorrect.

Trojans have/are infecting android devices. One nasty in particular is the 'Gemini' trojan.When a host application containing Geinimi is launched on a user’s device, the Trojan runs in the background and collects significant information that can compromise a user’s privacy. The specific information it collects includes location coordinates and unique identifiers for the device (IMEI) and SIM card (IMSI). At five minute intervals, Geinimi attempts to connect to a remote server using one of ten embedded domain names. A subset of the domain names includes www.widifu.com, www.udaore.com, www.frijd.com, www.islpast.com and www.piajesj.com. If it connects, Geinimi transmits collected device information to the remote server.

Quote Originally Posted by liftman View Post
    linux has not had 1 true virus, as for android (which runs a linux kernel), only malware is ad popups from a few bad apps. just scare tactics. no virus for android either. antivirus scanners just slow down your xoomif your rooted you can use tibu to remove it.if not do a hard reboot (vol up and power) and try again.good luck bud!
    Last edited by rive; 02-14-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rive View Post
    Unfortunately you would be incorrect.Trojans have/are infecting android devices. One nasty in particular is the 'Gemini' trojan.When a host application containing Geinimi is launched on a user’s device, the Trojan runs in the background and collects significant information that can compromise a user’s privacy. The specific information it collects includes location coordinates and unique identifiers for the device (IMEI) and SIM card (IMSI). At five minute intervals, Geinimi attempts to connect to a remote server using one of ten embedded domain names. A subset of the domain names includes www.widifu.com, www.udaore.com, www.frijd.com, www.islpast.com and www.piajesj.com. If it connects, Geinimi transmits collected device information to the remote server.
    "What most of the reports fail to acknowledge is that the Gemini trojan was found only in a couple of modified apps distributed on rogue networks in China. These weren't apps found on the Google Android Marketplace or any other valid distribution site."

I guess if your engaging in really risky behavior, you might need a condom lol
    Last edited by liftman; 02-14-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    1. Android.Fakeneflic Instead of streaming movies, this fake app—which closely resembles the real Netflix app—carries a data-stealing Trojan. While still active, this Trojan would send data to a remote server, although Symantec now reports that that server is now offline. This Trojan got much news coverage this year, and caused many enterprises to begin questioning Google's commitment to security.

2. Android/PJApp Symantec says Android.Pjapp can install applications, navigate to websites and add bookmarks to browsers. But the most disconcerting aspect of the virus is that it can send tt messages from your device, block messages and send user information back to the attacker.

3. TDSS This is a widespread Trojan that has a rootkit component and a bot component, according to Norman Proactive IT Security. Norman states that the bot component "connects to remote computers and makes the infected computer part of a botnet. It may download and install additional malware."

4. Android/Wapaxy 5. Android/LoveTrp McAfee says these are "new versions of premium-rate SMS Trojans that sign up victims to subscription services. Like TDSS, these two viruses also delete all subscription confirmation messages received so that the victim remains unaware of the activity, allowing the attacker makes more money.

6. Android/NickiSpy.A 7. Android/GoldenEagle.A McAfee also detected a new family of malware this year, one that steals information by stealing voice data and sending recordings to a remote server. Bundled into legitimate software, NickiSpy and GoldenEagle were capable of doing this, plus recording a tablet’s GPS coordinates, and even sending an infected tablet’s or smartphone’s IMEI (essentially a unique device ID) to a phone number in China. Like the above viruses, control of this malware is primarily performed via SMS.

8. Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.FakePlayer.a Finally, be extra careful about which custom media player you download. Kaspersky Lab, which discovered FakePlayer and others like it, says this malware takes advantage of Android phones after users install what appears to be a “harmless media player.” Once the bogus player is installed, the Trojan begins sending messages to premium-rate phone numbers without the owner’s knowledge or consent, resulting in money passing from a user’s account to that of the cybercriminals.
    Last edited by rive; 02-14-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    all have to be side loaded, not 1 from the market or Amazon market.
    I guess if your engaging in really risky behavior, you might need a condom

and please don't get me wrong, there is always a chance, but if you not searching for warz the chance is too small to worry about it. why waste the resources running it.
    to each his own.
    peace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads