• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Email receiving PDF attachments as .DAT files

This is a discussion on Email receiving PDF attachments as .DAT files within the Motorola Xoom Apps forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Both my stock email and Enhanced Email are receiving PDF attachments as .dat files. This is nothing to do with how Outlook is sending them, ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Twitter
    ChrisFrontRoyal

Email receiving PDF attachments as .DAT files

Both my stock email and Enhanced Email are receiving PDF attachments as .dat files. This is nothing to do with how Outlook is sending them, as if I send myself a PDF, it leaves as a PDF, and comes back as a PDF when I re-open again it in Outlook on the PC. But when I open it on the Xoom (ICS) or for that matter on my Evo (Gingerbread), the attachment comes as winmail.dat.

Is there any way round this? What's going on?

BTW, I know it works if I use my gmail account - maybe that's what Google want - but not what *I* want

Note, I don't want to know how to read a .dat file - I want to know how to make sure I receive it as a PDF file which I can then open and/or save.

Technical responses please, addressing if the issue can be resolved - not a discussion about Google defensive behavior

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    A slightly non-technical response... Is the file size correct. If yes, then does changing the extension to pdf allows you to open the file?

EDIT: Check these links...

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/Prevent_Winmail_dat_Attachments_from_Being_Sent_in _Outlook.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053/EN-US/
    Last edited by kruga; 02-16-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Wow, never heard of that. I have sent probably over 20 PDF attached to email to my Xoom from my PC and they all came through just fine.
    That's how I got a lot of my Tech docs to my Xoom for reading before they got access for the SD card.
    Of course I am not using Outlook on my PC, so that still may be your problem.

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Twitter
    ChrisFrontRoyal
    First, it's nothing to to with Outlook on my PC. Thanks for the links, kruga, but I already saw them and eliminated them.

But the mystery deepens . . .

(a) I email to my regular email address (on a private corporate server). The PDF attachment comes through as winmail.dat. Can't open it (without a special .dat viewer), size is slightly larger than original PDF, and renaming to a PDF does not work - it won't open, not recognized by any PDF viewer

(b) At the same time I send the email to another email address of mine through my own domain hosted at GoDaddy.com. This comes through with the PDF attachment intact, and it opens fine

(c) I pull the emails back on my PC through Outlook (from where it was sent, sent back to myself) - the PDF attachment is intact, on BOTH emails (note: it went through the respective servers before coming back to me through Outlook)

So it's definitely nothing to do with Outlook, but apparently it matters to Android which server it goes through. And even then, that server doesn't change it, otherwise it wouldn't go back to my Outlook intact.

There are no settings that I can see in the email app, that affects behavior or treatment of attachments.

It seems that the Android app is fussy about which server it came through. How can that be? What am I missing here?

Confused . . . anyone have any ideas?

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    chris, is POSSIBLE that "private corporate server" is doing something to it?
    That is BIZARRE sounding!

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Twitter
    ChrisFrontRoyal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP View Post
    chris, is POSSIBLE that "private corporate server" is doing something to it?
    That is BIZARRE sounding!
    If it was, then it wouldn't be coming back to me through Outlook on my PC with the PDF intact.

BTW, I don't want to sound obscure or dramatic. "Private corporate server" is just the email server for my MLS (multiple listing service) as I am a real estate agent, and my "main email" is through there. Never had any trouble with them in the past, and I can't see that they are the problem now (as the emails come back to my Outlook without any problems) - it's more that the Android email app seems to convert a PDF that has come through there, whereas it does NOT convert a PDF that has come through my private domain via GoDaddy servers.
    Last edited by chrisonline; 02-16-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Weird problem. I thought that the Microsoft link would have solved your problem, but unfortunately it didn't.

If you do find a solution, please post here afterwards. Would be good to know.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    For opening winmail.dat files try the Winmail.dat Reader

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by bmarotta View Post
    For opening winmail.dat files try the Winmail.dat Reader
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us and thanks for the information.

Note 3 - DARTHSTALKER NOTE3 ☆ | VERSiON 7
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Ads