Gmail - Always Must Click Refresh to Get New Email
I've enough searching - can't seem to find this exact topic anywhere. So how does one force Gmail to update Inbox by itself? Once I get this fixed then I suspect I'll finally start seeing the notification LED light up, or a "you have mail" icon in the lower rightcorner.
Thx, danke, gracias, merci
Last edited by WxXoom; 02-22-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Dave H. - Fayetteville, GA
02-22-2012 09:03 PM
Have you enabled syncing?
I have set the gmail sync on several times before, but it only syncs for a few seconds, then reverts back to being off.
I have just done again (thx for replying, BTW) so far:
- Started Gmail app
- Clicked (we should really be saying "tapped", eh?) on the upper right corner 4-bar icon
- Tapped Settings
- Tapped General Pref's (nothing regarding syncing on that selection)
- Tapped one item below, my gmail account
- Under Sync options, currently says "Gmail sync for this account is OFF."
- Tapped on that item.
- Control goes to main Settings screen | Accounts & sync | Manage accounts | gmail account shows sync is OFF
- Tapped the gmail account, get Data & syncronization | Sync Gmail ("Touch to sync now" - last was 2/26/12 11:51 am)
- Tapped the Sync Gmail item - little circle appears to the right, spins for a few sec's, then disappears. Sync date now shows 2/27/12 11:59 pm.
- Tapped screen's Lower Left corner Left Arrow
- Back to Manage Accounts list, shows gmail account "Sync is OFF"
- Tapped screen's Lower Left corner Left Arrow again
- Back to Gmail's Settings screen, which, under Sync options, still shows "Gmail sync for this account is OFF".
- To ensure that screen is refreshed, Tapped "General pref's"
- Tapped my gmail account again, still shows sync is OFF.
I guess there's no way to KEEP the sync ON ?
Last edited by WxXoom; 02-27-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Dave H. - Fayetteville, GA
try signing out of your google account in accounts and sync and signing back in.
(Thx jc, but I solved it)
Solved : Yes, it is possible to have the Gmail status in "Manage accounts" to show "Sync is ON" and to keep it ON, and to have the M Gmail icon and other emails' icons (an envelope) appear, AND to have the Notification light come on (but only when the Xoom is sleeping).
- Settings | Accounts & sync | General sync settings |
- Background data (Applications can sync, send, and receive data at any time) -- checked this, but may not be required, because of the next one
- Auto-sync (Applications sync data automatically) -- check this -- I must have unchecked this at some time, because I used to see the Gmail Notification M icon the first couple of months I had the Xoom.
- Settings | Accounts & sync | Manage accounts |
- my Gmail account -- with the "Auto-sync" above unchecked, this item has a white refresh icon circle to the right, and it says "Sync is OFF". With it checked, the icon circle turns green, and it says "Sync is ON"
- tap on your Gmail account (or any email account) and you'll see (with Gmail) "Data & syncronization", and 6 categories, all starting with "Sync" :
Books - Browser - Calendar - Contacts - Gmail - Picasa Web Albums, and all with a box to the right that you can check/uncheck. With non-Gmail accounts you'll only see one item, "Sync email". BTW, with "Auto-sync" UNchecked, these 6 items will all have the words "Touch to sync now" under each item's name. This is probably an impractical way to sync an item, since you can do it when you're in the app...but the capability is there anyway. Of course, if you have Auto-sync checked, no worries.
- Open Gmail app
- tap on upper-right-corner - 4-line icon
- tap on Settings
- on Left, tap on your email address / account
- Sync options -- "Gmail sync for this account is [should be] ON" ; (change sync preferences for this account) If you tap on this, it'll send you to the main "Settings | Accounts & sync" section you just visited in "FIRST" above.
- Sync options -- "Labels to sync" - tap on this, and you select how often the labels (categories, e.g., Inbox, Sent, etc) are synced. What I don't know is, if you set it to 4 days, does that mean it'll sync for just 4 straight days (nah), or every 4 days (that doesn't make a lot of sense either). I have my Inbox set to 4 so we'll see what happens)
- Notifications -- "Email notifications" (Notify in system bar when email arrives) - Check this. When the Xoom is SLEEPING, an M icon shows up in the bottom right corner to the left of the clock, i.e, the system bar. If you have sound set, you'll hear it appear. If the Xoom is SLEEPING, the notification LIGHT in the upper right front of the Xoom will flash very slowly, AND, if you have the sound set, you'll hear that too.
The statement "Notify in system bar when email arrives" is a little misleading, I think. I thought if it was UNchecked, then the light would come on if the Xoom were SLEEPING when you got an email -- an Either Or thing - either you'll get notified in the bar when the Xoom is ON, or the light when it is SLEEPING. Wrong. There is NO notification of any kind if you have the "Email notifications" UNchecked.
Regrading the syncing, I was looking for something specifically describing syncing the GMail. Well, as in "FIRST" above, it does exist, but I thought the Auto-sync (which says "Applications sync data automatically" was somehow not for email, but for all other apps, otherwise it would have also said "email/Gmail", but I assumed wrong.
BTW - if the Xoom is really OFF, you won't get notified of anything -- it is OFF.
Last edited by WxXoom; 02-28-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Dave H. - Fayetteville, GA