• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

FoxFi (WiFi Tether w/o Root)

This is a discussion on FoxFi (WiFi Tether w/o Root) within the Motorola Xoom Apps forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Turns your Android phone into free WiFi Hotspot - no rooting or tether plan required. Just install and turn it on. Bluetooth mode works for ...

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    284 times
    Twitter
    twowheelzKc

FoxFi (WiFi Tether w/o Root)

Turns your Android phone into free WiFi Hotspot - no rooting or tether plan required. Just install and turn it on. Bluetooth mode works for all phones. WiFi mode currently works on most Samsung/Motorola/LG phones and new HTC phones with Android 4.0 (HTC One etc). WiFi mode does NOT work on Motorola Droid 1, Motorola Triumph, Samsung Admire, LG Revolution or older HTC phones, use Bluetooth mode instead. You can connect from any computers or tablets or even game console. Access Point is infrastructure mode with WPA security. FoxFi usage is covered under the same phone data plan you have.

If you install the FoxFi AddOn app, you will also be able to hide tether usage by setting a proxy server address in the computer browser.

*Sprint has removed FoxFi from Market. Sprint users please install or upgrade from FoxFi Installer, or scan the QR code in the third screenshot.

*An April firmware update On Motorola Razr/Razr Maxx sometimes causes the WiFi Hotspot to be intermittently invisible. If that happens you will need to restart the hotspot or even reboot your phone. You can also update to Android 4.0 (ICS). (We tried to detect when the problem occurs and display a message in 1.91 but that causes some users to give 1 star thinking our update breaks. So no more message from now on.)

Here are some tips to help your usage: 1. On some models if you run into WiFi problem after using the Hotspot, simply reboot your phone and rename the hotspot before activating to clear the issue. 2. For some Samsung phones if your computer is not able to get an IP address, try to turn on WiFi on the phone first and make sure it does not connect to any WiFi network, then turn on FoxFi. 3. FoxFi is tested on non-rooted phones. If your phone has a rooted ROM it may or may not work. 4. When WiFi hotspot is activated you may also see a hotspot notification of the built-in WiFi hotspot feature. Please ignore it. As long as you do not sign up for a tether plan you won't be charged. 5. If you enter or change the hotspot password, make sure you rename the hotspot also before activating. 6. Sometimes Windows need a "repair" on the WiFi menu to get a correct IP address.

Lot of good reviews.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    284 times
    Twitter
    twowheelzKc
    FoxFi Add-on

FoxFi AddOn provides some optional features to the FoxFi application. *FoxFi enables free WiFi Tether on your phone without rooting or a tether plan. Sprint and a couple of small carriers have removed FoxFi from Android Play Store. So if you could not find FoxFi in Play Store then please install or upgrade FoxFi from FoxFi Installer, or scan the QR code in the third screenshot.

This version of FoxFi AddOn implements 1. Notifications of WiFi client connections. 2. A Web Proxy server on the phone that can be used to hide tether usage. 3. Debug log sending.

This FoxFi AddOn app is completely optional. Depending on which phone and carrier you have, it may or may not produce any benefit for FoxFi usage.

Once installed, use the menu in FoxFi to access AddOn features. Requires FoxFi version 1.90 or above.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.foxfi.addon

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    58 times

Question Unlimited Data Plan Tethering

I've put a similar post up over at XDA but also wanted your opinions on this idea.

I currently have AT&T U-verse internet max at home. It gets me about 8-12 Mbps DOWN (depending on the time of day,) and 1.5 UP (if I'm lucky.) It costs me $48 +tax per month. I'm unemployed and looking to save everywhere, so that's a lot of bones. I also have their U200 for cable TV.

I have the VZN 4G Bionic and was Grandfathered in from Alltel with Unlimited data. My Bionic is NOT ROOTED. After searching this (and other) forums, I've just discovered FoxFi. WOO HOO! Just for S&G's, I wirelessly tethered my home PC AND MY Xoom (which IS ROOTED) to the Bionic. The Gingerbread tethering function on the Bionic with micro-to-USB cable to my PC also worked. This just tickles the crap out of me that I can do this. Not only does it work, but I'm getting fantastic speeds, per speedtest.net. Using AT&T U-verse, I get:

Capture2.JPG

Then, using the WIRELESS tether through FoxFi, I get:

Capture.JPG

This is faster and better than U-verses internet (note the UPLOAD speed.) So naturally, the unemployed me is wondering... Do you folks think that it would be inadvisable to just turn off the U-verse Internet (but keep the TV) and go totally tethered? Yes, I am aware of the implications, e.g., I'd need to keep my phone plugged-in or face battery drain. I live alone, so I don't need internet at the house when I'm not here.

Since August 1st, when the FCC ruled against VZN for blocking tethering apps on the Market (and charging for tether usage BEYOND your contracted data plan,) I am thinking about doing this. Some folks may point out that the ruling doesn't pertain to customers with Unlimited Data Plans. Because I am FORTUNATE to have that plan, I feel that I would be WELL within my PAID rights to use as much data as I want. That's what UNLIMITED means: NO LIMITS. I pay for it, so I'm entitled. I'm not cheating or stealing (which is why I haven't rooted my Bionic.)

Until now, I've been consuming about a 2-4 GB per month on my phone, so I know that if I start using my PC exclusively through tether, consumption would probably go up significantly. I could try to manage keeping the PC untethered except when I'm on it. I don't do anything illegal, like torrent abuse and the like. I DO HOWEVER stream Netflix and Pandora. Running full-bore, the battery temp stays around 35 C. The Bionic doesn't have an internal CPU temp sensor, but I don't think there's a problem.

I REALLY NEED to conserve funds. Does anyone see a problem with my thinking? What's the worse that could happen, that I have to turn the U-verse internet back on?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Lesismore; 09-04-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    It seemed like a good APP until I couldn't turn it off on my phone.
    Troy Chapman

Motorola US WiFi Xoom
    Android JB 4.1.2
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Android ICS 4.0.4 (.215 leak)

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsnk95 View Post
    It seemed like a good APP until I couldn't turn it off on my phone.
    Wow, really? I haven't noticed anything like that yet. Weren't you able to Force Stop it in App Management? I have the latest build installed, and I installed the Add-On because it is supposed to mask tethering use. I've have some trouble getting it to work with FireFox though. Setting up the Proxy to use the IP and Port as instructed caused the connection to be refused. Then, I noticed that my local 127 IP was in the NO PROXY box. When I removed it, it connected. Unfortunately though, it still had periodic no connection trouble, so I disabled it.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Sorry for not getting back to you. I have since changed phones. Just tested FoxFi on my new Droid Razr Maxx phone and it worked great with the Xoom. I used to have a Droid 2 phone and could bluetooth connect the Xoom to it, but haven't had any luck on that with the new Razr. The 4G speed was very nice, and turning off the hotspot function in FoxFi worked just as it should. Plan to try it with my work laptop as well.
    Troy Chapman

Motorola US WiFi Xoom
    Android JB 4.1.2
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Android ICS 4.0.4 (.215 leak)

Remove Ads

Ads