• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Splashtop 2 HD FREE Limited time!

This is a discussion on Splashtop 2 HD FREE Limited time! within the Motorola Xoom Apps forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; At first I thought "cool! Time to update!" then I saw the new fees mentioned. Just did a quick test here--Xoom is on one network, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Splashtop 2 HD FREE Limited time!

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    At first I thought "cool! Time to update!" then I saw the new fees mentioned. Just did a quick test here--Xoom is on one network, PC is on another. Installed the v2 app & updated the streamer on the desktop to v2. Yep, the v2 app throws that screen twowheelz posted. HOWEVER, I jumped back to my original Splashtop & it connected just fine. So, Splashtop 1.6 for when the PC is on a different network, Splashtop v2 when on the same. That unfortunately means leaving two copies of the app installed, but it is an option.

After really briefly playing with v2, aside from a prettier connect screen & minor tweaks to the pop-up menu, I don't see any difference. I guess I'll have to work with it some more to tell if there is a speed improvement or not--though the lag hasn't been too bad.
    NewAge and Sonicaholic like this.
    Team ROOT ~ WiFi running EOS3 Jelly Bean!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    ROMs
    1 Submitted
    I'll be getting my new motherboard, 8GB RAM and an SSD sometime today. Want to test it out but glad for your input claudermilk. I was a little worried.

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonicaholic View Post
    I purchased Splashtop for my phone and Splashtop HD and was always able to access my PC from any ware original it used your Google account and was free but now there expecting you to pay an annual subscription fee to access from different networks when ios have got full unlimited any ware access free sorry I'm disgusted at the anti android bias and do seriously believe this should be boycotted out of principle! :banghead:Sent from a fellow Androidians Xoom ^_^
    Confused,
    i have spashtop Remote/Streamer v2, and i have no issue connecting to computer via gmail over 4g wirelessly (not connected via wifi/or local network)

Then i put pc on wifi A network, and xoom on wireless n network, and it connected via wifi nice and easy I dont see anything about an access pack, so what I am i missing?

EDIT
    nm, i see the problem, I am running splashtop remote desktop HD w/splashtop streamer v2, NOT splashtop 2 HD, thats the diference.

anywhere access for me is free, and other than the $8 purchase price, there are no reoccuring charges

to be honest, dont see a difference between splashtop2 , and splashtop remote desktop HD...whats the difference?

Splashtop Remote Desktop HD v1.9.9.7
    Splashtop Streamer v2

Last edited by rive; 08-09-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    OK, apparently, there isnt much difference between the two, so is Splashtop2 just a gimmick to make more money in access anywhere subscriptions?

perhaps they will be pulling Splashtop Remote Access HD soon, get it while you can...

Personnally, Ill just stick with Remote Desktop HD, (and backup the splashtop app and v2 streamer.exe)

Source:
    What's the difference between Splashtop 2 and Splashtop Remote Desktop? : Splashtop Remote - Support

Last edited by rive; 08-09-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post
    At first I thought "cool! Time to update!" then I saw the new fees mentioned. Just did a quick test here--Xoom is on one network, PC is on another. Installed the v2 app & updated the streamer on the desktop to v2. Yep, the v2 app throws that screen twowheelz posted. HOWEVER, I jumped back to my original Splashtop & it connected just fine. So, Splashtop 1.6 for when the PC is on a different network, Splashtop v2 when on the same. That unfortunately means leaving two copies of the app installed, but it is an option.

After really briefly playing with v2, aside from a prettier connect screen & minor tweaks to the pop-up menu, I don't see any difference. I guess I'll have to work with it some more to tell if there is a speed improvement or not--though the lag hasn't been too bad.
    update the Splashtop app to 1.9
    and the PC streamer to v2

ANYWHERE ACCESS is still free

Splashtop v1.9 Screenshot:
    Last edited by rive; 08-09-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    252 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rive View Post

NewAge likes this.

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    lol

i wont use any other browser than x64 IE (except for the one on my Xoom)

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Twitter
    @sonicaholic
    I have rolled back the pc side app and switched back to splashtop HD and anyware access is there , thank goodness! I have also been in contact with them and they have assured me that splashtop HD will continue to get supported. I was a bit miffede to say the least to start but if you don't use the new splashtop 2 your all fine and still have your access. That's great news as I use it a lot. not just for media but I also on occasion have to go into the office this negates the need for me to carry a laptop.
    HTC Desire - Rooted / S-off (dead) Galaxy Nexus i9250 - stock
    Motorola Xoom WiFi - Rooted TWRP 2.3.3.0 EoS 3 nightlie 155 OC'd to 1.6
    Sony smart watch

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rive View Post

Splashtop HD is v1.9, Splashtop is v1.6. I grabbed it when it was an Amazon FAOTD. It does work as before, however. Their claim on the linked support page that anywhere access is still free for existing accounts is simply not true (unless, apparently you are using an iDevice). As I mentioned in my post I have updated the streamer to v2 & it works just fine with the v1 apps. Really the only difference I can see is the connect screen is prettier & the menu button is different. Otherwise from an end-user perspective it's the same thing.

The whole situation is kind of sleazy, but since the older version still works fine I'm not too worried about it. From reading the reviews on the market, they have not done themselves any favors in the PR department.
    Team ROOT ~ WiFi running EOS3 Jelly Bean!

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonicaholic View Post
    I have rolled back the pc side app and switched back to splashtop HD and anyware access is there , thank goodness! I have also been in contact with them and they have assured me that splashtop HD will continue to get supported. I was a bit miffede to say the least to start but if you don't use the new splashtop 2 your all fine and still have your access. That's great news as I use it a lot. not just for media but I also on occasion have to go into the office this negates the need for me to carry a laptop.
    If in the event they want to charge for Splashtop HD anywhere access in future, just make sure you backup v1.9 and streamer v2, that way you can always revert back

appsaver

Last edited by rive; 08-10-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads