iplayer working on the xoom
For all those in the UK (or with UK IP address's )
I had no luck getting the iplayer app or iplayer website working on the xoom.
However, if anyone else is interested, Dolphin HD browser set to "Desktop" user agent works fantastically.
Videos play and can be made full screen
04-15-2011 07:12 AM
catchup TV also works using dolphin HD
The BBC iplayer app from the market doesn't work for me either. But going to the iplayer homepage using the stock browser works fine for me. Hopefully the app will be updated in th near future.
Wi-Fi Xoom MZ604 (UK) - Rooted
Overclocked 1504Mhz - Tiamat Kernel v1.4.0
I can second that the BBC iPlayer app deosn't work on the Xoom. You can navigate around and choose a programme, but there is no way to actually launch the video.
Very dissapointing. Hopefully the BBC will fix this soon!!!
In the meantime, you can use the standard browser to view iPlayer content through via the website (BBC iPlayer - iPlayer Radio Home).
To get this to work you need to set the UserAgent string in the browser to 'Desktop'.
- Launch the standard Xoom browser.
- Type 'about:debug' into the address bar at the top.
- Click on the icon in the top-right hand corner of your screen (four horizontal bars).
- At the bottom of this menu it should now have two new options - 'Dump navigation cache' and 'Dump V8 counters'.
- Select the 'Settings' option from the drop-down menu.
- Click on 'Debug' at the bottom of the list on the left.
- Click on 'UAString' from the list on the right.
- And then choose 'Desktop', instead of 'Android'.
- The BBC iPlayer will now display the desktop version of the website in the standard browser.
I hope that helps.
Fingers crossed the BBC fix their iPlayer app.
Here's a weird thing. If you open the iplayer app - select LiveTV - select any channel - now be ready....
Immediately when the video page opens, quickly double tap the disappearing vertical white line (where the video should be and just left of the favourites check) - the iplayer goes into full screen mode and displays the live channel! It's takes some attempts to get it but it does work. So it must be a tiny initialisation bug stopping iplayer from working on the Xoom. Come Beeb sort it out.
Until then I'll follow Adrian's hack on the browser which is a neat trick anyway.
Just found out ITV have also got a player which allows you to watch their channels live. Now if Sky would hurry up and roll out Silverlight for Android we'd be sorted.
Just tried the hack above and I get your phone is not supported. But if I use browser in android setting it works fine. Is there any way to get player hd?