• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Amazon Cloud Player for Mp3

This is a discussion on Amazon Cloud Player for Mp3 within the Motorola Xoom Apps forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Has anyone used the Amazon cloud player yet? I dont really need a cloud as I can pretty much access my music server in my ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Amazon Cloud Player for Mp3

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times

Amazon Cloud Player for Mp3

Has anyone used the Amazon cloud player yet? I dont really need a cloud as I can pretty much access my music server in my apartment just the same, but for purchasing music on the go (like if I hear a new album and just have to have it) it seems like a good alternative to iTunes for me. God I hate iTunes.

But the default when purchasing is to save music to amazon's cloud and use their downloader to batch transfer to the device wirelessly. From there I can easily spit them back to my media server. But the downloader doesn't come in app form just yet, just different compiled versions for linux kernels.

I was wondering if anyone has used the Amazon mp3 apps or cloud player and has any cautions/praise before I plug it into my media system (and further disperse my already iTunes scattered music files!)

Now just waiting for an amazon unbox app for VOD. They get awesome new releases fast compared to netflix, just a little choppy in the browser.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    Twitter
    @Steadyhawkin
    ROMs
    4 Submitted
    It works without issue for me

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Twitter
    ChrisFrontRoyal
    It works very well for me, no problems or reservations to report.

You don't have to upload everything - or anything. A big advantage is that when you buy music, you can just have it saved in the Cloud, and download it from there onto any of your devices at will. Or just stream it from the Cloud. It adds to your options, without taking anything away from what you already have.

Buy just one album, and they increase the storage to 20MB.

Bear in mind that in 12 months time they will start charging for the extra storage, but that gives you plenty of time to decide whether you want it.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I've been using it for a month now. I LOVE it!
    First I had to buy some software to remove DRM protection from my iTunes purchased music. Then convert it all to mp3 from m4a. Finally, since I had 13+GB of music, I purchased an album, and bumped my storage to 20 GB. When I buy from Amazon I always save it to my laptop (this also carbonite's it to my cloud backup), and then go back to the uploader and send it to amazon cloud.

I can listen to my music on my laptop, nexus s, xoom, or at work using a web browser.

I'm also waiting for amazon to pull their shit together and release a VOD app for xoom!

M.

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    ROMs
    1 Submitted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisonline View Post
    Buy just one album, and they increase the storage to 20MB.
    I think you mean 20GB! I did this with a $3.99 Foo Fighters greatest hits, got my 15 extra gigs free and uploaded 10GB. Also purchased a $.99 classical album with 99 songs! If they are willing to store all the music on the cloud for free its way better than iTunes. And I hate iTunes too so I'm easy to sway.

The service has so far exceeded my expectations and purchasing on the go is quite easy. If you're an Amazon customer you can already start uploading and test it out. Might as well its 5gb free!

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Twitter
    ChrisFrontRoyal
    Quote Originally Posted by NewAge View Post
    I think you mean 20GB!
    Sure did - brain freeze

Mvorbrodt, why now download a purchase and then upload it back? Just have it save to the Cloud and download from there. Same end result, but in less moves!

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisonline View Post
    Sure did - brain freeze

Mvorbrodt, why now download a purchase and then upload it back? Just have it save to the Cloud and download from there. Same end result, but in less moves!
    I like to have the copy locally. It's good in case of network outage, plus I can always copy it to a non supported device, or burn to CD and play in my Honda Civic

Edit to add: it also backs it up to my carbonite, so if i ever loose a disk and amazon goes away or whatever, I will have a copy somewhere still.
    Last edited by mvorbrodt; 04-30-2011 at 11:35 PM.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Twitter
    techitrucker
    Also keep in mind that anything you save to cloud storage from their service doesn't count towards your storage so you could upload 5 or 20gb from your PC at home and any purchases would still be able to be stored on the cloud service without incurring any extra charges. This only works though if you save to cloud when making the purchase. If you choose to download then upload to the cloud later, it counts against your storage count.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Twitter
    ChrisFrontRoyal
    Quote Originally Posted by techitrucker View Post
    Also keep in mind that anything you save to cloud storage from their service doesn't count towards your storage so you could upload 5 or 20gb from your PC at home and any purchases would still be able to be stored on the cloud service without incurring any extra charges. This only works though if you save to cloud when making the purchase.
    Yes, another good point.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Use it love it. Hate iTunes as well. Amazon cloud gives you options iTunes users can only dream of.

Ads