• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[HOW TO] Subsonic Free Music Streaming for Android (flash-based)

This is a discussion on [HOW TO] Subsonic Free Music Streaming for Android (flash-based) within the Motorola Xoom Apps forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; I'm not sure where to put the link, but I wrote a how-to guide for Subsonic. http://www.tools4movies.com/2011/05/...reamer-part-1/ Subsonic is a free desktop app (windows/mac/linux) that ...

dvdcatalyst

Post [HOW TO] Subsonic Free Music Streaming for Android (flash-based)

I'm not sure where to put the link, but I wrote a how-to guide for Subsonic.

http://www.tools4movies.com/2011/05/...reamer-part-1/

Subsonic is a free desktop app (windows/mac/linux) that enables you to stream your entire music collection to any flash-enabled device, including the Xoom (tested on Honeycomb 3.1)

From the Subsonic website:
    Subsonic is a free, web-based media streamer, providing ubiquitous access to your music. Use it to share your music with friends, or to listen to your own music while at work. You can stream to multiple players simultaneously, for instance to one player in your kitchen and another in your living room. In addition to being a streaming media server, Subsonic works very well as a local jukebox. The intuitive web interface, as well as search and index facilities, are optimized for efficient browsing through large media libraries. Subsonic also comes with an integrated Podcast receiver, with many of the same features as you find in iTunes.

The app itself runs as a webserver on your computer, and from your Xoom or other network-enabled device, you just access the app using your webbrowser.
    Besides music, it offers a lot of additional options, such as user accounts, song uploads, and (if you donate) it even lets you do video and transcodes on the fly (eliminate buffering issues)

Today I just handled the basic install/setup for music, and how to access your songs on a couple of different devices, but I will be adding new articles on the additional functionality of Subsonic this week.

Normally I would just create the how-to as a forum post, like I did with my dvd to xoom guide, but when I wrote that I was fighting with formatting issues and the amount of screenshots I used, so I took a shortcut by posting it to my website itself.

Note, Subsonic is not created by me, I was getting more emails from people who were using it, so I figured it would be handy if I wrote a guide on how to use it.

2. # ADS
    Ads

mrp
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Subsonic has an android app that works pretty well on the Xoom, no need to use the flash interface for streaming.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Definitely checking this out.

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Twitter
    Ltcmdr49022
    Hmmmmmm.

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by mrp View Post
    Subsonic has an android app that works pretty well on the Xoom, no need to use the flash interface for streaming.
    Oh wow, I guess I should have looked in the market

thanks for mentioning that. The app works better than the flash-based interface (and looks a bit cooler as well)

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Installed this on my windows box...it ran really sssslllllloooooowwww. Maybe cuz my files were stored on my linux box and had to get through my network. So, in my infinite wisdom, I installed the linux version, downloaded the apps to my droid and xoom...works like a charm! Very nice indeed!

Remove Ads

Ads