• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

gaia or backcountry navigator?

This is a discussion on gaia or backcountry navigator? within the Motorola Xoom Apps forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; I'm looking at purchasing a good topo map. I've tried both demos and am leaning towards Gaia but was wondering if anyone has tried them ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

gaia or backcountry navigator?

I'm looking at purchasing a good topo map. I've tried both demos and am leaning towards Gaia but was wondering if anyone has tried them and what your thoughts. Gaia seems easier to use with the downloaded maps i.e. downloading and deleting downloaded maps. I'm in North America-

thanks
    g

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    I like Gaia a lot actually. It was the free app of the day on Amazon a while back, and I most recently used it to get topos of some trails in a state park I was at in NJ. Even on the 3g, the maps loaded very quickly. The only thing is, there are different maps at different scales. I'm not sure they are all from the US Geo Survey. I guess its kind of cool to have a variety of map sources, but its a little jarring upon zooming in and out.

I can't speak for Backcountry Navigator because I haven't used it. It gets pretty good reviews though. Its $10, so it might be tough to buy, evaluate and return in the 15 minutes. It is in the Amazon App Store, so I wonder if it will make free app of the say someday! That would be awesome!

EDITED to add: I just checked the market, they both have a map download feature, and it looks like Gaia has a couple extra coordinate systems besides UTM and MGRS (DMS/DDM - not familiar with either actually.) I can't really tell if Backcountry navigator uses all US Geo Survey maps.. I guess if you were doing any GPS conversions from an another map on a different datum, you'd have to do it yourself. I'm not sure how Gaia handles this using different maps or different coordinate systems but I would assume it converts the coordinates for you? Unless all the UTM or MRGS topos are using a standard datum now. I'm really not sure. The few times I've used it, I was looking at elevations - not really waypoints. And the last time I did coordinate conversions was for a military history project years ago!

BUT! Both apps have a free demo download. I'd say try it out! I know I'm not being very helpful here.
    Last edited by Sophie; 07-25-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Twitter
    thetechguru_net
    (DMS/DDM - not familiar with either actually.) DMS is Degrees, Minutes, Seconds, and DDM is Degrees, Decimal Degrees. Regular old Lat/Long.... (I am a UTM guy myself).

Alan
    "As a member of the Verizon Wireless Customer Council I received a Motorola Xoom for free in exchange for giving them and posting my honest review of the device.

Remove Ads

Ads