• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Mount Internal Storage in Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Mount Internal Storage in Ubuntu within the Motorola Xoom Development forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Hacks category; worked sometimes a couple of months ago. Just tried to mount it and it won't mount at all. Did all the steps correctly in the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Mount Internal Storage in Ubuntu

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    worked sometimes a couple of months ago. Just tried to mount it and it won't mount at all. Did all the steps correctly in the original post. I'm running kernel 2.6.35-32-generic on 32bit. Anyone know of alternate ways to get files to the xoom? This is so flaky with usb I'd never even think of attempting to root it using ubuntu.

Sometimes when it mounts, my term hangs when I try to cd, or ls the mounted directory.
    Other times it mounts and the only directory in there is and empty one called "Playlists" (which I can't seem to even find on the xoom)
    Tried to copy a text file to there, list it and I get "ls: cannot access /media/xoom/Playlists/: Transport endpoint is not connected"
    If I manually umount it then mount it again... df just hangs.

Really? Is it that difficult to mount the root file system when you plug in the usb and copy files to where ever we want?

In general, my biggest disappointment with android is the overall brokenness of the file system... file management is painful, at best. The SD card support is just confusing as hell.

Can anyone clue me in on alternatives to getting data to the xoom, short of emailing them to myself?
    Last edited by jbeiter; 04-12-2012 at 08:08 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeiter View Post
    worked sometimes a couple of months ago. Just tried to mount it and it won't mount at all. Did all the steps correctly in the original post. I'm running kernel 2.6.35-32-generic on 32bit. Anyone know of alternate ways to get files to the xoom? This is so flaky with usb I'd never even think of attempting to root it using ubuntu.
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3876 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
    Ideally: plug my xoom into my ubuntu linux PC via USB and have the root file system mounted on the xoom and copy files to anywhere I wish on the xoom.. and access them on android with the appropriate app.

Minimally: just get files to the xoom somehow in some way other than emailing them then saving attachments.

I know linux, tolerate windows, brand new with android. I'm happy with it so far but still confused as to why it's so fussy about file management and the sdcard (internal vs external... "internal sd" makes no sense to me) I don't want to hijack the thread though. I'd really like to just mount the thing on ubuntu without grief!

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I use the external sd card. Stick it in a usb adapter on my ubuntu machine. Copy files to or from it. Put it back in my xoom nad move the files as needed.

I am not sure why only certain versions of ubuntu work with the file system xoom has. I do think it is the BIGGEST failing pf Motorola to only support a special windows based file system.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Ads