• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Got the 3.2 OTA update, now how do I root this bad boy?

This is a discussion on Got the 3.2 OTA update, now how do I root this bad boy? within the Motorola Xoom Development forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Hacks category; I tried doing a search and most rooting methods imply that I'm on a rooted 3.1 I was, then I tried using the downgrade method ...

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Got the 3.2 OTA update, now how do I root this bad boy?

I tried doing a search and most rooting methods imply that I'm on a rooted 3.1

I was, then I tried using the downgrade method to install 3.2 and, through my own stupidity soft bricked the damn thing.
    I returned it to stock 3.0.1 and then let it auto update to 3.1 and figured I'd root that and start again, but, before I knew it the system had downloaded and installed 3.2

So, my question is; is there a current method to root the 3.2 to give me back all those goodies that I've become used to like custom kernels and overclocking?

Thanks for the help guys, I honetly don't know what I'd do without this forum

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    There is no root method for 3.2 yet. No 3.2 for us 3g users yet either. Have to wait for for devs to make 3.2 compatible with their kernals.

Android4Life

Xoom Unlocked, Rooted, Themed, and Overclocked at 1.5
    Kyocera Echo, Rooted and just plain Awesome!

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Ah, damn....got my hopes up when I saw the Katana kernel.
    I wanted the 3.2 goodness, but I now find myselfin withdrawal from the overclock and custom boot animations and Titanium Backup....

ATP
    Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    If you read the threads to update rooted 3.1 to 3.2, they should include the 3.1 files. Revert back to 3.1, root, then apply the hacked 3.2 over the top. Voila, rooted 3.2.
    Xoom Wifi - Rooted with Launchpad, OCd to 1.6Ghz with Droid Overclock.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Twitter
    Never
    ROMs
    1 Submitted
    Quote Originally Posted by pencilmonkey View Post
    Ah, damn....got my hopes up when I saw the Katana kernel.
    I wanted the 3.2 goodness, but I now find myselfin withdrawal from the overclock and custom boot animations and Titanium Backup....

There is a way to get rooted 3.2 but now I believe you have to start over since you accepted the OTA. I needed to do this method too for different reasons but it works perfectly and I am on rooted 3.2 with the Katana Kernel right now. First, you need to be on a U.S. Wifi-Only. Step 1: Follow this guide to revert to stock 3.0.1 [How To] Return To Stock (Wifi-Only HW169). Next, power up the xoom and accept the 3.1 OTA update. When that is done, unlock the Xoom's bootloader again. Next, root 3.1 using [GUIDE][WIFI ONLY] How to Root the Xoom from Stock 3.1 - xda-developers Finally, upgrade to rooted 3.2 using [UPDATE][US WIFI ONLY]Android 3.2 on Xoom WiFi, Root, via ClockworkMod Recovery - xda-developers After completing this process you will be on 3.2 with root. It took me just under an hour and is failsafe as long as you follow the directions in this post and in the links provided exactly. Read-everything once for good luck!

Edit:

REMEMBER, THIS IS FOR U.S. WI-FI ONLY. THERE MAY BE A SIMPLER WAY TO GET TO 3.2 ROOTED BUT IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT ANYTHING IN TERMS OF YOUR COMPATIBILITY FOR THE METHOD, THIS WILL WORK FOR ALL U.S. WIFI XOOMS. YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA

If you find yourself on rooted 3.1 and unsure what to do OR if you are not comfortable with any part of this process, you can at least get yourself back to where you were pre-update on rooted 3.1 (assuming you did it yourself the first time) and then follow this handy guide by Bazar6 [HOW TO] Update Rooted US WiFi 3.1 to 3.2 via CWM
    Last edited by Noobz2Men; 07-15-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I can't revert to stock with this guide because it is for HW169 and my xoom updated to 3.2 without asking and is on HTJ85B. If I ever get back to stock 3.0.1 or 3.1 how do I keep it from updating to 3.2 again. xda developers claim to have a procedure to root stock 3.2 but it does not work on my xoom.

Remove Ads

Ads