• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

To root / not to root thats my question

This is a discussion on To root / not to root thats my question within the Motorola Xoom Development forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Hacks category; Just doing a bit of out-loud thinking so... I'm in a bit of the hacking mood and the thought of not only rooting my xoom ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    @slitherjef

To root / not to root thats my question

Just doing a bit of out-loud thinking so...

I'm in a bit of the hacking mood and the thought of not only rooting my xoom running 3.1 but unlocking the puppy has been pestering me lately. I was going to wait for this 4g update we are suppost to get along with SD card support (jokes on them though, I am fresh out of cash to buy another memory card right now anyway) but I got to thinking. IF/when we get the 4G update, we have to wipe the device anyway. A couple issues come to mind, however.

1, I fear that if I do wait until after the 4G update moto may do something in the device to lock the bootloader while they have it open and installing the radio
    2, not much of a fear as the first issue, but I think if I do go ahead and unlock mr bootloader and root the device, moto will be able to detect things after the device is wiped clean and set back to stock

So, if I do decide to unlock the bootloader and root the xoom, which should I do first? Unlock then root? Or just root it?

One of the reasons I talked my self into the xoom was the ability to unlock this bootloader, so I could tinker more with it, maybe learn how to code (develope) for the device.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    ROMs
    4 Submitted
    In order to root the device, you need to unlock it first. To answer your questions:

1) Not very likely, but its possible

2) You can go back to stock and relock at any time if you want to.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    @slitherjef
    Downloading and installing files. Not 100% sure I am going to go through with this yet. But at least I will have the files. I downloaded the SDK. Figured I might as well eat up more hard drive space. LOL

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    @slitherjef
    Um... hit a snag. After I opened up the command window, I plugged in my xoom to my USB port, windows 7 (32bit home) and it installed drivers. Well, 2 out of the 3. It did NOT install MZ600 and did not give me a way to point to the file. Just said, "if device did not install properly" or something like that. So, I plugged the USB cable into a back port and nothing but windows popping up a box asking what I want to do. open with etc...

I rebooted my PC and the same thing

So now what?

EDIT:

Well, I toggled debugging and windows came back up, installing drivers. BUT, I guess its still missing one because I can get adb to load, but when I type in adb devices, it says list of devices:

then nothing.
    Last edited by ajxoom; 07-20-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    That last driver got me too. I had to end up downloading it from Moto.Moved to Development.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    @slitherjef
    Finally got it to install mz600 got adb to give me a string of numbers! adb reboot, the xoom reboots, then windows pops up a window stating installing drivers (WHAT!?) then tells me MTP USB device failed. What? Thought this installed already!?

Since Adb was still running, i typed adb device and it gave me the string of numbers again. Not sure what is going on here.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    Do you have Windows Media Player 11 installed? It will give you the MTP driver.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    Alternatively you can delete the drivers via the Control panel, enable the USB Debugging again, and then plug your Xoom back in and it should reregister your drivers. Before running ADB again you should reboot your computer after installing the drivers.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Per #1, Moto has stated they are going to open the bootloaders on future phone sometime late this year. So I see no chance of them locking the Xoom back down, when that is the direction I see them taking the bootloaders (unlockable/lockable by the user).
    What is rooting: the advantages/disadvantages | Set-up ADB | Need Help? Post Here | ADB Commands for Newcomers | Boot Animation Requests
    Remember to post the solution that worked to solve your problem so you can help others with their problems later.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    @slitherjef
    I turned off my PC for a bit and tried it again. Once windows booted up, I typed the commands in adb again. adb reboot, xoom reboots and windows says installing software, MTP device driver failed. Sigh. It did not say ANYTHING when I plugged my xoom in after a PC reboot. Just after I issue the adb reboot.

Ollie, I have windows media player 12

I went to control panel, devices, plugged in my xoom and MTP popped up so I right click on it, hardware and it said, this device is working properly.
    Last edited by ajxoom; 07-21-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads