• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Some Rooting Questions

This is a discussion on Some Rooting Questions within the Motorola Xoom Development forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Hacks category; Originally Posted by Sardo Numspa Nice one Hash. Magpie, I think the only way right now to get what you are asking for is through ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Some Rooting Questions

Agent Xoom
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Twitter
    Hate It
    Quote Originally Posted by Sardo Numspa View Post
    Nice one Hash.

Magpie, I think the only way right now to get what you are asking for is through rooting and flashing a rom
    I am just too busy/lazy, it is not beyond my capability by any means. There are only a few inconvenience things at this point, nothing to get me motivated enough to root. I have two race cars to keep running with 12 races a year, tv shows to watch, and oh yeah I work full time. I could make time if I got motivated.
    Adios XOOM it has been, well an experience
    iMac i5 OS 10.x

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hash View Post
    sorry for the 'epic' reply to your epic post lol.. but its needed since there is no proper guide for the UK/Euro versions..
    Thanks for the reply and detailed instructions, I will give it a go tonight if I get time and let you know how I get on.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I followed your instructions and everything ran smoothly apart from the fact that I have no 3G. Everything works perfectly, the USB hosting seems to be good and it all went without a hitch.

The whole process was made a lot clearer for me once I found this which explains what CPW is and how to use it. Once I read that everything clicked into place.

However when I switch off wireless I get a message saying no internet connection. I checked the status option in settings and it shows the network as" Vodafone UK", which is correct and it also shows an "EDGE" network has been detected but for some reason I have not connection. Mobile network state says "Disconnected".

If anyone has any idea I would be grateful, I don't really want to go back to stock just yet, I would rather try and fix the problem. There must be a fix as it works for Hash and other people.

In the meantime I will get trawling through some of the other threads to see what I can find.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    I believe Hash has flashed the Hammerhead rom, which has native 3g support. If you do decide to flash this rom make sure you make a backup in CWM first. Also a wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition is required to flash the rom, 3rd and 4th option.
    http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/team...ead-3-2-a.html
    Also you need to make sure you have the correct recovery installed.
    http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/moto...6-10-11-a.html

Note 3 - DARTHSTALKER NOTE3 ☆ | VERSiON 7
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfazard View Post
    I followed your instructions and everything ran smoothly apart from the fact that I have no 3G. Everything works perfectly, the USB hosting seems to be good and it all went without a hitch.

The whole process was made a lot clearer for me once I found this which explains what CPW is and how to use it. Once I read that everything clicked into place.

However when I switch off wireless I get a message saying no internet connection. I checked the status option in settings and it shows the network as" Vodafone UK", which is correct and it also shows an "EDGE" network has been detected but for some reason I have not connection. Mobile network state says "Disconnected".

If anyone has any idea I would be grateful, I don't really want to go back to stock just yet, I would rather try and fix the problem. There must be a fix as it works for Hash and other people.

In the meantime I will get trawling through some of the other threads to see what I can find.
    Hmm, i had a similar issue.. Try going on mobile network settings, click on access points and select vodaphone.. On my xoom it gave no internet connection at first, but i gave it some time and tried a few times to load a webpage after and it was workin with roaming on (as im not in the UK atm), but the signal bar showed no signal :s
    Elfazard likes this.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3876 View Post
    I believe Hash has flashed the Hammerhead rom, which has native 3g support. If you do decide to flash this rom make sure you make a backup in CWM first. Also a wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition is required to flash the rom, 3rd and 4th option.
    http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/team...ead-3-2-a.html
    Also you need to make sure you have the correct recovery installed.
    http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/moto...6-10-11-a.html

Yep, did all that. I made sure that I followed the instructions to the letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hash View Post
    Hmm, i had a similar issue.. Try going on mobile network settings, click on access points and select vodaphone.. On my xoom it gave no internet connection at first, but i gave it some time and tried a few times to load a webpage after and it was workin with roaming on (as im not in the UK atm), but the signal bar showed no signal :s
    The access point wasn't set so I have now set it to "Vodafone UK", then shutdown and restarted just for good measure. Still no internet via 3G but I am going to give it a few minutes to see if it wakes up.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Cracked it

While I am using the Vodafone network I actually have a contract with Talk Mobile, unfortunately the APN list did not contain a setting for Talk Mobile.

Following some other instructions I found I did the following:
    • Copied my nandroid backup off the SD card and onto the PC.
    • Used unaffs the unpack the data.img file.
    • Found the following two files and copied them to my sdk_files directory:
      • /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db
      • /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db-journal
    • Ran the commands:
      • adb push telephony.db /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db
      • adb push telephony.db-journal /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db-journal
    • Restarted
    • Selected the correct APN from the list
    I am not sure I needed to push the journal file as it was empty but I did anyway just to be sure.

Now going to bed a happy bunny - thanks for the help Hash

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Great, glad you got it sorted out.

Note 3 - DARTHSTALKER NOTE3 ☆ | VERSiON 7
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    yea good to hear you fixed it Im sure u will enjoy your xoom 10X more now lol

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yep I hope so.

I just have to fix the Gmail crash problem now but I have already found a solution for it, I just need to wait till I get home to fix it.

I have written up your post along with the extra stuff I had to do so that my mate can root and upgrade his Xoom. If that goes well is it worth me writing it up as a guide post here as there doesn't seem to be a definitive EU/UK guide for this (or certainly not one I could find)?

If it is worth me doing are there any rules/guidelines I need to follow?

Ads