• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How to acquire a programming cable to aid in haxx :D

This is a discussion on How to acquire a programming cable to aid in haxx :D within the Motorola Xoom Family Edition Development forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Family Edition Forum category; Kanged from MotoCache1 of droidforums who kanged it from kholk of XDA Disclimer: I am not responsible for what you do to your device(s), but ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Twitter
    trter10

How to acquire a programming cable to aid in haxx :D

Kanged from MotoCache1 of droidforums who kanged it from kholk of XDA

Disclimer: I am not responsible for what you do to your device(s), but I have tested this. If I were you I would test this on an old device before you plug it into your xoom.

This gets rid of the "most Micro USB connectors are not wired for pin 4" problem which is the biggest barrier to making your own cable. Using this idea you can then make up your own "factory style" cable pretty easily.

Materials/tools needed:
    • Motorola Mini-to-Micro USB adapter cable (SKN6252) (Got that from here: http://tinyurl.com/SKN6252 )
    • Standard USB A cable (doesn't really matter what's on the other end since we're going to cut that end off -- just needs a standard pinout and a USB A Male on one end -- if you don't like vagaries and want a specific instruction, use a SKN5004A) (You just need the end that goes INTO the computer.) (I just went to dollar tree and picked up a USB extender for $1 and cut off the female end.)
    • Soldering iron (Optional)
    • Solder (Optional)
    • Shrink tubing (Optional)
    • Heat source to shrink the shrink tubing (lighter, heat gun, whatever) (Optional)
    • This is what I did ---> You can use wire nuts in place of the solder and shrink tubing (which of course would mean you wouldn't need the soldering iron either). This however would be quite ugly. For a prototype, maybe, but for something I'd use all the time, I'd solder it.
    1. Cut the Mini connector off the Mini-to-Micro adapter cable (SKN6252). The cable is only like 1.5 inches long so cut as close to the Mini connector as possible to have as much cable left as possible. Toss the Mini connector in the trash - it's useless now. (Read: You need the end that goes into your xoom with as much cable as possible.)
    2. If you are using a Motorola SKN5004A (standard USB A to Micro B) cable for the main donor cable, cut the Micro B end off. If you used something else, you want to cut off which ever connector leaves you with a USB A connector still attached to the cable. (Read: You need the end that goes into your computer with as much cable as possible.)
    3. Solder/wire nut the two cables together using the pinout below. The only question mark is what color is the pin 4 wire in the SKN6252? I don't know the answer. I will have a SKN6252, but when I get it I will tell you.
    4. Shrink tube all of your connections so nothing can short. (Optional)
    5. The only thing about it that I'm not 100% in love with is that you're splitting the power wire at the far end (relative to the source) instead of at the near end. That said, that's just me being picky and I doubt that it matters at all.
    This is a very delicate process and if you do it incorrectly it can mess up your computer and/or device.

Warnings:
    1. Don't leave the cable connected to the phone while unattended. Although the cable should not be recognized by the phone for charging purposes, it is supplying operating power to the phone via its USB port (which is not normally the case). If you are using the cable with no battery in the phone, and if your host computer lost power or shut down, your phone would instantly lose power just like a battery pull had happened.
    2. Connect the Micro-B end to the phone first, and then connect the USB A end to the computer. The Micro-B connector is very tiny and we want to make sure it is in the phone straight and seated before you apply power to it by connecting it to the computer. Connecting the Micro-B end first protects your phone and your computer.
    3. When working on the phone with the cable connected and no battery inside, best to go ahead and put the back cover back on so you don't lay it down on something that touches some contacts in the battery compartment. If you're working on a proper (uncluttered) workbench and you're the careful type, this may not be necessary, but better safe than sorry.
    4. Don't plug this cable into any device not designed for it. If plugged into a device not expecting this map you could destroy the device, your computer, or both.
    This cable should be compatible with all P2K type Motorola devices with a Micro B USB connector (which is just about everything you'd want to mess with).Some specific examples:
    • Xoom
    • Atrix
    • Droid X
    • Droid 2
    • Droid 2 Global
    • Droid Pro
    • Droid Pro Global
    • Droid 1
    • V9m
    • Napoleon
    • Kindle Fire
    • Droid Charge
    • Droid Razr
    • Droid Bionic
    • Droid 3
    Last edited by trter10; 05-14-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_DevNull View Post
    Well Moto, i have all your blocks every single last tasty one

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I think I have one of these cables and it came with my Motorola Cliq. It has a weird behavior which I thought was that the cable might be damaged because it did not work well on my other devices. :P
    High five to the face anyone? :P

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Twitter
    trter10
    Quote Originally Posted by j35pwnz View Post
    I think I have one of these cables and it came with my Motorola Cliq. It has a weird behavior which I thought was that the cable might be damaged because it did not work well on my other devices. :P
    I have a cord that does the same thing.. plug it into your phone w/o a battery and see if you can get into the bootlader

i couldnt

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Is this cable meant to work like a USB jig? This is used commonly to force-boot into a recovery mode for repairs or troubleshooting. The Galaxy phones use this along with a few other HTC handsets.

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Twitter
    trter10
    kanged from teamblackhat.info

So you flashed your phone and now it thinks the battery is dead (even though it's not) and it won't let you flash it again to fix it? Or, your battery really is dead and you don't have a way to charge it because your phone is soft-bricked and won't charge the battery. What do you do?With this cable you don't even need a battery in your phone. This is our clone of what is generally referred to as a Motorola "Factory Cable".Unlike a normal USB cable these cables are wired in a way that compatible Motorola phones recognize as a "factory" programming cable. This allows the phone to power up and be flashed without having a battery in the phone. Depending upon the model of the phone, it may also boot up differently than it does with a normal USB cable.For example, a Motorola Napoleon will actually say "Factory Cable Connected" on the display when booting into flash mode with this cable connected. When a Droid X, Droid 2, or Droid Pro boots with this cable, it will only present to the host computer the USB devices necessary for flashing, but none of the other devices like ADB, USB mounting, etc. In fact, if you boot the OS of the phone (instead of to the bootloader) the Droid X doesn't even bring up the USB attached options when using this cable (as though the OS isn't even aware of it). Yet RadioComm, RSD Lite, etc. all recognize and operate with the phone like normal -- even with no battery in the phone.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Close enough to the jig, except you use the same cable for all operations vs just booting and swapping.

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Twitter
    trter10
    Oh ok

Sent by the phone that's not your dream phone, it's the one after that. Especially with Liquid GB

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by trter10 View Post
    Oh ok

Sent by the phone that's not your dream phone, it's the one after that. Especially with Liquid GB
    I think the missing piece of the puzzle would be an image to recover from if you plan on returning to factory. If you were able to obtain an SBF; or update.zip it would be possible to sign it; or even pre-root it granted Motorola's bootloader accepts your package once modified. That would bring everyone the progress they desire and bricking wouldn't be a issue. You would be able to go beyond the 'factory' restore down/power combination which only seems to wipe USER apps and settings as it does not really revert to a clean android build. Just a thought...

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Twitter
    trter10
    Quote Originally Posted by j35pwnz View Post
    I think the missing piece of the puzzle would be an image to recover from if you plan on returning to factory. If you were able to obtain an SBF; or update.zip it would be possible to sign it; or even pre-root it granted Motorola's bootloader accepts your package once modified. That would bring everyone the progress they desire and bricking wouldn't be a issue. You would be able to go beyond the 'factory' restore down/power combination which only seems to wipe USER apps and settings as it does not really revert to a clean android build. Just a thought...
    True, but that can't even be implemented without fastboot access/RSD mode/recovery mode.

And do you know how to crack open an update.zip?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    hey trt.. a good friend is helping me with this cable (since I'm not good with soldering... ;-P ). she will test it first in her phone first to see if it works, and then she will give it it to me, but How can I use it? Do you think I'll be able to do a factory reset using fastboot and get ride of the ota 06 in my xfe?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads