• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

HOW TO: Root ANY Xoom Family Edition - Up to date as of May 2012

This is a discussion on HOW TO: Root ANY Xoom Family Edition - Up to date as of May 2012 within the Motorola Xoom Family Edition Development forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Family Edition Forum category; Originally Posted by SirLoin Now that I'm not dealing with caffine psycsosis... After I root it, do I follow the other posts to upload different ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SirLoin View Post
    Now that I'm not dealing with caffine psycsosis... After I root it, do I follow the other posts to upload different Roms? If not, then rooting still offers more control of the device so it's still worth considering.

Xoom Rox
    The main reason I rooted is because mine was eating up storage space like it was going out of style. I was down to just a few KB of space left, and I've only had my XFE for about 3 months. I was removing all kinds of useful apps and deleting cache trying to find the problem, but it just kept getting worse. I finally tracked the problem down (which requires root access). It turns out that one of the GPS processes was writing a bunch of huge log files to /data/gps. I was able to simply delete them, but the average user will be stuck doing the factory reset. I timed the files as they are being written, and it was writing about 25KB every 10 seconds, which would fill up the 12GB free in about 55 days. I wrote a little script to total up the size of the files for each day. Some days it was it was as little as 44KB, some days as large as 200MB, with an average around 100MB.

Has anyone else on here had this problem?

It seems some users do and some don't, or some just don't notice it for a long time. It could depend on how often they use location-based services/apps and whether or not they have GPS turned on (or the tablet itself, for that matter).

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Im not finding the links. Btw new guy, little noob with tablets, finally got my FE, anyone help? i just need the root....

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by Dijin View Post
    Im not finding the links. Btw new guy, little noob with tablets, finally got my FE, anyone help? i just need the root....
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Try PM'ing the OP to see if he'll update his links.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    the link worked. im hitting an error when i run it now

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i just basically want to move game data off my phone to there, phone has root, tablet needs it.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey Gang - I got ICS Root on Fam Ed! YEA
    here's my story:
    Had root via Dan Rosenberg's exploit (thanks again). Tried the ota update released recently. NO GO Failed!
    Tried adding in the apks like others in here did.. nope.. kept trying - OMG - factory reset! Good thing I had done a complete Titanium BU prior to all this.
    Don't know why it decided to do a reset - just did!!! Sigh so ok maybe now I can do the update - WT... NO.. Failed..
    Called motorola - some are having issues and yours is one of em and send it in to be flashed - Sigh again
    4 days later (FAST) Newish Xoom FE with ICS arrives back from Motorola
    Reset up stuff - dropbox etc. gmail all my info
    Tried Dan's Root - nope can't use that backdoor anymore. So I copied it all down and emailed Dan for ideas (and to let him know the closed that door). He sent me the following link on the chance it might help:
    Root MANY ANDROID! [Upd: 13.10.2012] - xda-developers
    IT WORKED GANG! No issues easy to follow - downloaded and now I'm back to root with ICS. Reloaded my backup saved on dropbox and my data is now reloading - no issues!!
    Thanks again Dan!!! You are awesome!

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Re: HOW TO: Root ANY Xoom Family Edition - Up to date as of May 2012

@Shawn. Which one did you use ? I tried v15 and I was not able to reroot

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    @LaloHigh. I used the v15 with success. did you get yours updated to ics? I'm wondering if it was successful because it got wiped and reflashed???

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Re: HOW TO: Root ANY Xoom Family Edition - Up to date as of May 2012

Yeah I updated to ics but didn't use root keeper. Can you please post the instructions on how you did it with v15. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here. Thanks

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I plugged in the xoom fe usb to pc. make sure the debugging is enabled. Then I unziped the download I got from here:
    Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry…zip (4,14 MB) - uploaded.to the grey free download btw.
    clicked RunMe file and followed the directions carefully.

I didn't technically Update to ICS. Since I had to send mine to them - they flashed a fresh install of ICS. I think I read somewhere you also had to send yours in??

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads