• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Interesting note on charging the Xoom FE

This is a discussion on Interesting note on charging the Xoom FE within the Motorola Xoom Family Edition General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Family Edition Forum category; I did choose to keep my XFE. Workaround for me is to power down and charge overnight. Battery life is excellent so this works for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I did choose to keep my XFE. Workaround for me is to power down and charge overnight. Battery life is excellent so this works for my needs.

After reading other forums I have come to the conclusion that my expectations for charge times might have been ambitious. I had expectations similar to my smartphone (evo). I see where other manufacturers state 4+ hours with power off to full charge. Seems realistic for the XFE as well. I would like to see it charge while in use, or at least maintain charge level while plugged in and in use, but again if might be asking for too much.

Sent from my MZ505 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

special Moto-cable

Hello there,

the Moto-cable is shaped like a micro-B but is electronically pinned out as a micro-A-plug (with pin4 connect to ground). Look up the USB in wikipedia, and look for the graphics under "physical appearance". I measured this with a multimeter.

Datapins, Pin2 and pin3 in the original charger are connected together (to detect wall-charger), but you also need pin4 to ground. The outer USB shielding is also on ground, but I don't know if this is necessary.

I shorten the two pins on my long USB-cable with some silver-laquer and a needle, but this is deadly small.

I know can use any USB-wall charger I want, and get fast charging.

Don

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by donald24 View Post
    Hello there,

the Moto-cable is shaped like a micro-B but is electronically pinned out as a micro-A-plug (with pin4 connect to ground). Look up the USB in wikipedia, and look for the graphics under "physical appearance". I measured this with a multimeter.

Datapins, Pin2 and pin3 in the original charger are connected together (to detect wall-charger), but you also need pin4 to ground. The outer USB shielding is also on ground, but I don't know if this is necessary.

I shorten the two pins on my long USB-cable with some silver-laquer and a needle, but this is deadly small.

Don
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us.

Pixel 6 pro 512 Gb
    Note 20 Ultra 512 Gb
    LG V60 Dual Screen
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Twitter
    jblalock77
    Quote Originally Posted by donald24 View Post
    Hello there,

Don
    Welcome to the forum.
    Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
    "Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Family Edition Charger model #

After getting 2 sets of part numbers from Motorola and testing both, I can state that their item # SPN5688A is charging my Xoom Family edition at a rate of about 20% battery capacity per hour in Stand By mode. As of Feb 1, 2012 I was not able to find this part number from anyone outside Motorola. It was $29.99 US on Feb 1, 2012. Note that this is an all in one wall charger, and NOT a separate plug and cable, and also a 110/120 volt model, not 220/240 volts. (I am in the USA)

I was also given part numbers SKN6378A and SPN5504A and ordered these from a third party only to find that they charged at 10% battery capacity per hour with the Xoom in Stand By.

I wanted to pass this on to anyone who comes across this thread. Order Motorola's item SPN5688A.

Regards,
    Karl

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S View Post
    After getting 2 sets of part numbers from Motorola and testing both, I can state that their item # SPN5688A is charging my Xoom Family edition at a rate of about 20% battery capacity per hour in Stand By mode. As of Feb 1, 2012 I was not able to find this part number from anyone outside Motorola. It was $29.99 US on Feb 1, 2012. Note that this is an all in one wall charger, and NOT a separate plug and cable, and also a 110/120 volt model, not 220/240 volts. (I am in the USA)

I was also given part numbers SKN6378A and SPN5504A and ordered these from a third party only to find that they charged at 10% battery capacity per hour with the Xoom in Stand By.

I wanted to pass this on to anyone who comes across this thread. Order Motorola's item SPN5688A.

Regards,
    Karl
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us.

Pixel 6 pro 512 Gb
    Note 20 Ultra 512 Gb
    LG V60 Dual Screen
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    If it's of any interest, I'm using the USB charger for a HP Touchpad. It's a 2amp 5.3v USB charger, and charges at 20% per hour. Comes with a bunch of interchangeable heads for wordwide use. Why it's taking Moto so long to push out stuff for the Xoom 2/XyBoard and FE is beyond me.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Twitter
    Evil_DevNull
    It's a grounding issue, Motorola has been very GROUNDING heavy since the old Nextel contracts, the heavier the ground connection, the faster and higher the charge output. The Xoom usb cable looks normal, but if you strip it open, the ground wrapped wire is made of a nickle/copper. If you do a bench mark on charging, the Motorola brand charge cable will charge the Xooms at 38% higher capacity

Support a Forum and a Developer which is here to support YOU.

~ If you like my work please consider buying me a Monster Energy HERE. Your support is greatly appreciated. Thank you! ~

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_DevNull View Post
    It's a grounding issue, Motorola has been very GROUNDING heavy since the old Nextel contracts, the heavier the ground connection, the faster and higher the charge output. The Xoom usb cable looks normal, but if you strip it open, the ground wrapped wire is made of a nickle/copper. If you do a bench mark on charging, the Motorola brand charge cable will charge the Xooms at 38% higher capacity
    Are you suggesting any 5.3v 2 amp USB charger will work with any Motorola USB to mini USB cable?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Ads