• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Interesting note on charging the Xoom FE

This is a discussion on Interesting note on charging the Xoom FE within the Motorola Xoom Family Edition General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Family Edition Forum category; Found out something funny by accident that's worth sharing with other Xoom FE owners. I accidentally grabbed a generic OEM micro USB cable and used ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Interesting note on charging the Xoom FE

Found out something funny by accident that's worth sharing with other Xoom FE owners. I accidentally grabbed a generic OEM micro USB cable and used that to charge my Xoom. This was with the original Moto 2A USB AC charger. It worked but was unbearably slow. Practically wouldn't charge in sleep mode or while on. I realized I put the wrong cable on there and swapped it out for the Moto cable and it charged much much faster - at the expected rate.

Strange, you wouldn't think the USB cable itself would have much to do with it but it does.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_camper View Post
    Found out something funny by accident that's worth sharing with other Xoom FE owners. I accidentally grabbed a generic OEM micro USB cable and used that to charge my Xoom. This was with the original Moto 2A USB AC charger. It worked but was unbearably slow. Practically wouldn't charge in sleep mode or while on. I realized I put the wrong cable on there and swapped it out for the Moto cable and it charged much much faster - at the expected rate.

Strange, you wouldn't think the USB cable itself would have much to do with it but it does.
    USB standard only permits 500ma current and thus wiring is sized for 1/2 amp current only. But the spec does allow the adding of pins on the "b" end of the cable. The nook color eReader is an eample of that being done, the FE may be another one.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by donc13 View Post
    USB standard only permits 500ma current and thus wiring is sized for 1/2 amp current only. But the spec does allow the adding of pins on the "b" end of the cable. The nook color eReader is an eample of that being done, the FE may be another one.
    I thought of that too, but on close inspection the Moto cable is a standard 5-pin micro USB. No extra pins. The wiring in the OEM cable is definitely good enough for 2 amps... I'll check with Motorola and see if there is anything special that I might have missed. It could be a length thing. The OEM cable I used was a 10 ft. cable vs the 5-6 ft. Motorola original cable length. Maybe the length is messing with the final current being delivered?

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I tried using my phone charger(850ma). Xoom put up a message to use the right charger. I was surprised to see the factory charger rated at 2A.
    Sent from my Xoom WiFi, stock like this sig

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The micro USB was one of the reasons I went with the XFE. Unfortunately to get a proper and full charge you must have the factory supplied charger and cable. I accidentally broke my cord, bent the pin, and left wall unit at another office 2 days after purchasing it. Was not concerned at first as I have plenty of other power sources. Five days later I have yet to get a charge over 42%. Still looking for exact replacement.

Sent from my MZ505 using Tapatalk

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fromohio View Post
    The micro USB was one of the reasons I went with the XFE. Unfortunately to get a proper and full charge you must have the factory supplied charger and cable. I accidentally broke my cord, bent the pin, and left wall unit at another office 2 days after purchasing it. Was not concerned at first as I have plenty of other power sources. Five days later I have yet to get a charge over 42%. Still looking for exact replacement.

Sent from my MZ505 using Tapatalk
    Any 2A USB charger should work. You might be able to try an Apple iPad USB charger. They're also USB and put out 2A. You will still need your USB A to micro-USB cable.

You could bring your stuff by an Apple store and see if they'll let you try one of their iPad chargers out...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I think I will be returning my XFE this weekend. All because of the charging issues. This thing takes forever to charge. Contacted Motorolla and they said it should full charge in about 2 hours with power off and they could not give estimates with power on due to apps running. I am not even close with my unit. Last night, power on, screen off, on the charger for 12 hours and still not 100%. No app should stop it from reaching full charge in 12 hours!

I have my original factory charger but not the cord. I have tried several different cord gauges and lengths and nothing seems to make a difference. Motorola would not tell me what the specs were on the micro USB cord they provided. I am hard pressed to believe it is that unique. If it is then why go push that is charges through micro usb?

Totally bummed because otherwise I like the unit.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So has anyone tried an alternative 5v/2a non-moto charger to determine its definitely the cable thats doing the magic?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by dicko1975 View Post
    So has anyone tried an alternative 5v/2a non-moto charger to determine its definitely the cable thats doing the magic?
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us.

Pixel 6 pro 512 Gb
    Note 20 Ultra 512 Gb
    LG V60 Dual Screen
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Nothing to confirm it yet, but it might be that the Xoom2 uses USB charging as well. So perhaps we'll see Moto branded power accessories for that which are compatible. Perhaps even a media dock. Fingers crossed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads