• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Trouble connecting to home Wi-Fi with security enabled

This is a discussion on Trouble connecting to home Wi-Fi with security enabled within the Motorola Xoom FAQ forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Help category; Just bought the Xoom and when I try to connect to my home network, which is using WPA/WPA2 PSK security, it wont connect. I have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Trouble connecting to home Wi-Fi with security enabled

Just bought the Xoom and when I try to connect to my home network, which is using WPA/WPA2 PSK security, it wont connect. I have to completely disable any security, then it works fine. Even with WPA/WPA2 enabled but no password set, still wont work.

The xoom sees the wi-fi network fine but once I tap on it, enter password, it ends up disabling the connection. I've also tried it on WEP security and for some reason it gets locked up on 'obtaining IP address' and won't proceed further.

I have other devices that have no issues with the router. The router I'm using is a D-Link DIR-615, Hardware Version B2, Firmware Version 2.25, which is the latest firmware for the router.

Help would be appreciated. I'd like to use the xoom but would rather not run without security on my Home Network.

EDIT
    ***posted in wrong forum. Moved to Help forum. ***
    Last edited by Dobz; 04-17-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: posted in wrong forum

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Dobz,
    You have just described exactly the problem I have been experiencing. After speaking with Verizon technician on the phone for 45 minutes, they just conceaded that they could not figure out what the problem was except to suggest that the fault was with the router--Linksys. I called Lindsys and spoke with them for 15 minutes. The result: the problem is with the tablet. I was told that the device did not have the capability to link to a secured WPA/WPA2 network. He suggested I change the router security settings to WEP and the Xoom would connet. I have had no luck. I am going to the Verizon store for some face time with a technician.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    Twitter
    XimmyT
    I use WPA2 no problem with with a Time Capsule router..... Any Linksys people up and running out here?????
    Keep on Xoomin'

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    451 times
    Twitter
    jblalock77
    I have a Lynksys. Not sure which one specifically (not at home) but it is working without issues.
    Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
    "Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Try ensuring that the wifi router is using TKIP encryption or at least hybrid AES/TKIP. You'll have to delve a bit into your router's wireless configuration, but it's an easy toggle. I recall having a similar issue with my Droid (I'm on the DX now) and adjusting that toggle 'seemed' to solve the problem. Also, make sure the passwords are matched and case sensitive. Once you are done with all that, delete the router from your Xoom's list of preconfigured wireless routers and then re-pair.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Same problem big time. I try to connect to my home network, which is using WPA/WPA2 PSK security, it wont connect. I have to completely disable any security, then it works fine. Even with WPA/WPA2 enabled but no password set, still wont work.
    So, change the encryption to TKIP?? Any other suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    i have a tp-link n router (wireless obviously) with wpa/wpa2 psk enabled with a complex password and do not have any problems whatsoever. i was so satisfied with the set up that i added the exact same set up to a second home location and haven't had any issues with that location either. in addition at my permanent home, part of the network is running through an amped 300 extender that requires a separate "network" establishment. i am running several laptops, a desk top, 2 iphones (different generations) and a mac laptop in addition to the xoom without problems. i am guessing that the default settings on my tp-link router are probably the reason i've had no problems, but i can't be sure. all i know is that they work flawlessly.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfrlaser View Post
    Same problem big time. I try to connect to my home network, which is using WPA/WPA2 PSK security, it wont connect. I have to completely disable any security, then it works fine. Even with WPA/WPA2 enabled but no password set, still wont work.
    So, change the encryption to TKIP?? Any other suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us. The Xoom prefers the "G" band and check and see if there's a software update available for your router.

Note 3 - PAC-man 4.4.4
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Do you have the SSID hidden on the access point? If so, unhide it.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by pjetson View Post
    Do you have the SSID hidden on the access point? If so, unhide it.
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us.

Note 3 - PAC-man 4.4.4
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Ads