• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Motorola XOOM - Connecting to virtual private networks

This is a discussion on Motorola XOOM - Connecting to virtual private networks within the Motorola Xoom FAQ forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Help category; How do I use VPN on my tablet? Virtual private networks (VPNs) are a technology for connecting to the resources inside a secured local network ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Twitter
    droidforums

Motorola XOOM - Connecting to virtual private networks

How do I use VPN on my tablet?

Virtual private networks (VPNs) are a technology for connecting to the resources inside a secured local network from another network. VPNs are commonly deployed by corporations, schools, and other institutions so their users can access local network resources when not on campus.

There are numerous systems for securing VPN connections, including some that rely on secure certificates and other schemes to ensure that only authorized users can connect. You must obtain the security details from your network administrator to configure VPN access from your tablet.

Working with secure certificates

If your organizationís VPN access relies on secure certificates, you must obtain the certificates and store them in your tabletís secure credential storage, before you can configure VPN access on your tablet.

If your network administrator instructs you download the certificates from a web site, youíll be prompted to set a password for the credential storage when you download the certificates. If your network administrator has you obtain the certificates in some other way, you will need to use the Security & location settings to set a password for the credential storage first.

To add a VPN

From the home screen, touch Apps.
    Touch Settings.
    Touch Wireless & Networks.
    Touch VPN Settings.
    Touch Add VPN.
    Touch the type of VPN you want to add.
    In the screen that opens, follow the instructions from your network administrator to configure each component of the VPNís settings.
    Touch the menu icon located at top right corner of the screen and Touch Save.

The VPN is added to the list on the VPN settings screen.
    To connect to a VPN:

From the home screen, touch Apps.
    Touch Settings.
    Touch Wireless & Networks.
    Touch VPN Settings.
    Touch the VPN you want to connect to.
    In the dialog that opens, enter any requested credentials and touch Connect.

When youíre connected to a VPN, you receive an ongoing notification in the status bar. If you are disconnected, you receive a notification that you can use to return to the VPN settings screen so you can reconnect to it.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Any idea if or when a Cisco or a microsoft vpn will be available?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Wrong post. Ay idea when other vpn software will be available?
    Last edited by psrumors; 03-12-2011 at 06:30 AM.

RJS
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for the very clear concise instructions. Hope to see more useful inputs like this.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    We have Windows Server 2008. Will it be possible for me to use vpn?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Any news on this? For a tablet that's "grown up" and "everything a tablet should be" I find it pretty pathetic that A) I cannot connect to my work LAN via a real VPN or L2TP connection and B) Nobody at Motorola or Verizon seems to care about this problem. I've been searcing through forums and haven't been able to find a thread on VPN that has been posted to in the last month!

What the F, people? This is a severe disappointment for me. What a waste of money! Will anybody be getting on this issue or should I just go back to my i-clone and toss this Xoom in the drawer?

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    Twitter
    XimmyT
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    Any idea if or when a Cisco or a microsoft vpn will be available?
    No news on the Cisco client (which I need desperately). There is a rumor that a client will be released shortly after the Samsung 10.5 tablet release.

Samsung I apparently pushing Cisco but we will see.
    Keep on Xoomin'

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moltar View Post
    I find it pretty pathetic that A) I cannot connect to my work LAN via a real VPN or L2TP connection and B) Nobody at Motorola or Verizon seems to care about this problem.
    So do I, but the blame falls squarely on Google's shoulders. It's been an issue since at least Android 2.1 and hasn't been fixed in Android version to date. All the built-in / stock VPN feature set seems to need in my case is the support of 3DES encryption (or an actual full IPSPEC implementation would probably work). All the iOS devices work, it's very frustrating but stock Android (any version) is just ill-equipped to handle it ATM with the only hope in sight I've seen maybe being ICS which may finally fix things.
    Last edited by epakrat75; 06-09-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello. I have used these setings but I get 1 of 2 error messages: a) your user name or password may be incorrect (I know that they are correct - I can connect through mp home PC) & b) vpn server has timed you out, you may be behind a firewall

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thank you.

- Dave

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    Hello. I have used these setings but I get 1 of 2 error messages: a) your user name or password may be incorrect (I know that they are correct - I can connect through mp home PC) & b) vpn server has timed you out, you may be behind a firewall

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thank you.

- Dave
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Can't help with your question as I don't have the need to connect to a VPN, hopefully one of our members will have an answer for you.

Note 3 - DARTHSTALKER NOTE3 ☆ | VERSiON 7
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Ads