• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Per moto - sd card is meant to be read only on the tablet!

This is a discussion on Per moto - sd card is meant to be read only on the tablet! within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Originally Posted by jandl It's a learning curve that I really can't tackle right now. Maybe after the upgrade and a funeral I have to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by jandl View Post
    It's a learning curve that I really can't tackle right now. Maybe after the upgrade and a funeral I have to attend at Arlington. Getting old I guess (67).

Thanks for the advice and info though. It would be nice to be able to use more of the capabilities of the os.

When you root do you set user accounts as well tp protect the access?
    Here, take a look at this.
    What is Rooting on Android? The Advantages and Disadvantages

Note 8
    Galaxy S8 Plus
    Nexus 6 - PureNexus

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    I gotta admit, when I read the specs and things before getting my Xoom, I know I read it was going to *have* an SD card slot, but I can't say that I really remember anything saying it would have r/rw permissions. But I might be wrong. The wife claims it has happened before.
    What is rooting: the advantages/disadvantages | Set-up ADB | Need Help? Post Here | ADB Commands for Newcomers | Boot Animation Requests
    Remember to post the solution that worked to solve your problem so you can help others with their problems later.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I downloaded honeycomb file manager and was able to transfer files to my sdcard in the xoom (using copy and paste). remember your sd card is called external1 on the xoom. but it only works to copy to xoom not to copy to external1
    Last edited by revlyn1; 10-08-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    No, you do not set up user accounts to protect read/write access of root. You can however download an app that will lock any application you want with a password or pin number. As an example you would lock any app that has a filemanager capability so that there isn't a way to even access the card. Unlock the app, move your files around, and then relock the app after. I also use this for my email apps, browser apps, market apps, camera apps, etc to ensure privacy and to keep mistakes from happening when others are using my tablet. I feel pretty confident in saying that you would do well to tackle this problem on your own instead of waiting for a solution through the official channels. It is a simple line of code that needs to be inserted for write functionality to work. If Google wanted it working they would not have omitted it.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

file exploerer

I have been using that app to store things on my SD card for quite some time now.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just curious, if the Xoom has the capability to read and write to the external SD card, why would Google or Motorola not make that option available to the purchaser? What problems are they possibly trying to prevent?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Twitter
    jblalock77
    It would be down to asking Google as Motorola and to the best of my knowledge all of the Honeycomb OEMs have enabled it on devices.
    Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
    "Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    The File managers have the ability to properly read/write to the external1 sd card, but they arent using the right API. Moto/Google set it up so that a file manager could read/write to the external1 sd, but it requires the use of a third party file manager using the media store api-

MEDIA STORE API FOR EXTERNAL READ/WRITE ACCESS TO EXTERNAL1 SDCARD
    ...any developer who has been paying attention [to] google this year knew that removable storage would not be accessible using flat file system api in java that you would have to use the media store api. This allows android to manage removable media to guarantee no data loss in the event of unexpectant storage removal. Its just going to take some time for app developers to fix their file management apps. For over a year know google has been telling developers to stop depending on raw file io functions and that they should be using the mediastore functions instead.

File manager HD in this case uses the wrong API (Java IO), and wont use the right one (mediastore):

Here is an email excerpt from the "file manager hd" creator:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexise
    Currently I always use Java IO API and it seems a bug for honeycomb 3.2 that
    the external SD card can not write. I have no plan to migrate to media API.
    Maybe this problem will be fixed in future honeycomb update
    Here is another email from Hexise (dated Sept, 18, 2011):

Quote Originally Posted by Hexise
    Your point is correct that if my application do not support write access to external sd card, it means my app is not fully compatible with honeycomb 3.2.
    You persuaded me to invest more time on how to activate write access to external sd card and put this request as high priority for File Manager HD future releases.
    I believe there will be a best solution for this, and I will try to find it out and include it in future release. Please be patient.

Thanks always for your comments

If you want to further speed up the process, feel free to contact Hexise, and ask when he will be releasing the File Manager HD using the media store api for write access to the external1 sdcard in honeycomb 3.2
    support@rhmsoft.com
    Last edited by rive; 10-09-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Twitter
    jblalock77
    Hope he means it.
    Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
    "Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jblalock77 View Post
    Hope he means it.
    For those with the File Manager HD, and who want to be able to use it to write/read to and from the external1 sd card, contact the developer with an email to something like what you see in red below, the more users that send an email, the more likely we will see an update to enable write access:

support@rhmsoft.com

Hexise,

When will you will be releasing the File Manager HD, (or an update) using the media store api functions for write access to the external1 sdcard in honeycomb 3.2?
    Last edited by rive; 10-09-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads