• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Per moto - sd card is meant to be read only on the tablet!

This is a discussion on Per moto - sd card is meant to be read only on the tablet! within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Originally Posted by blkin Excellent suggestions "rive", certainly the opportunity to increase profits should drive the development of the software. Still curious though, can Google(?) ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blkin View Post
    Excellent suggestions "rive", certainly the opportunity to increase profits should drive the development of the software. Still curious though, can Google(?) just change their software so it will allow the read/write function?
    They already did, and have been telling developers how to allow the read/write, the fact you currently cant is because the devs want to use JAVA IO

...any developer who has been paying attention [to] google this year knew that removable storage would not be accessible using flat file system api in java that you would have to use the media store api. This allows android to manage removable media to guarantee no data loss in the event of unexpectant storage removal. Its just going to take some time for app developers to fix their file management apps. For over a year know google has been telling developers to stop depending on raw file io functions and that they should be using the mediastore functions instead.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rive View Post
    For over a year know google has been telling developers to stop depending on raw file io functions and that they should be using the mediastore functions instead.
    What methods are available through MediaStore.* to specifically write to a physical SDCard that's separate from the built-in "External Storage"? The only documented write method I know of off-hand is MediaStore.Images.Media.InsertImage(), which doesn't include any arguments regarding destination media or path, not to mention being specific to image filetypes.

Until this weekend, I assumed that Google had Honeycomb SDCard write handled somewhere in the framework as of 3.2, and that the app devs were just being inertial. My perspective changed once I wrote a quick app and started trying to get it to work. I couldn't even find anything in the framework that simply acknowledges or returns a path to a Xoom's physical SDCard. Environment.DIRECTORY_* and MediaStore EXTERNAL_CONTENT_URI constants refer only to the built-in external storage, for example.

I did find that if you were rooted, you could write to the SDCard via shell or native calls using su. This is a workaround app devs can use for rooted users, but stock users are out of luck.

Another option (credit: solarnz) is a simple mod to the /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml to allow any apps that use the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission to have write access to the physical SDCard under the media_rw group context, without any changes to their code. I deleted and wrote files to the SDCard using FileManager HD after this edit. Tiamat ROM includes this mod, but stock users are again left out.

Both of these approaches, however, implement direct file I/O to removable media, exactly what Google is trying to avoid going forward. But since Google hasn't put out any official word on how we're supposed to (or whether they even intend for us to) write to the SDCard from an app on the device, we're in the dark. If anyone has information on methods to write to the SDCard via the Honeycomb framework on a stock system, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be grateful.

More detailed info on what I worked on yesterday is in my post on the Motorola Support Forums:
    Re: Droid-Life.com is reporting Honeycomb 3.2.2 adds SD read write support
    Last edited by Stachre; 10-10-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: clarifications and subscribing

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    As I mentioned before. If Google wanted us to have it we would have it.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Knock, Knock, Knock, Google are you listening? Or, (tongue in cheek) Google, can you hear me now?
    Last edited by blkin; 10-10-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've been a supporter of Moto and my Xoom for a long time, but this is the straw that shattered the camel's L5 vertebrae, rendering him paralyzed from the hump down. I was never told my r/w caps would depend on devs. At this point i want this thing gone.

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nfkoopmann View Post
    I've been a supporter of Moto and my Xoom for a long time, but this is the straw that shattered the camel's L5 vertebrae, rendering him paralyzed from the hump down. I was never told my r/w caps would depend on devs. At this point i want this thing gone.
    get the Xoom FE and it will be. there are reports of full drw and file rw in this Xoom tablet.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nfkoopmann View Post
    Find and sideload the app sgmsdmm3.apk. Run it once after each boot and it remounts external1 as RW. Used it on rooted 3.2 and now Tiamat 2.2.2, but proceed at your own risk.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by srqrob View Post
    Find and sideload the app sgmsdmm3.apk. Run it once after each boot and it remounts external1 as RW. Used it on rooted 3.2 and now Tiamat 2.2.2, but proceed at your own risk.
    Would this work on an unrooted Xoom?

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by paris1129 View Post
    Would this work on an unrooted Xoom?
    Needs root.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Remove Ads

Ads