• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Possible to "dual boot" XOOM?

This is a discussion on Possible to "dual boot" XOOM? within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Originally Posted by bensode Plenty. Have you ever had a PC or laptop in the last 15 years? These ship all the time with a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Possible to "dual boot" XOOM?

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bensode View Post
    Plenty. Have you ever had a PC or laptop in the last 15 years? These ship all the time with a lack in features that aren't show stoppers or have problems that are fixed with firmware updates and driver updates enable or extend features well after release to market.
    Lol, I couldn't agree more. I bought an inspiron duo from dell the first month it was out. Now that was a glitchy experience to say the least.
    Sent from my xoom of death

2. # ADS
    Ads

Newsworthy
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bringer View Post
    Lol, I couldn't agree more. I bought an inspiron duo from dell the first month it was out. Now that was a glitchy experience to say the least.
    "inspiron duo !" I feel sorry for ya!
    The opinions above are solely those of a 12 year old hacker who has broken into my account, and not those of my employer or any other organization.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
    "inspiron duo !" I feel sorry for ya!
    It was quite possibly one of the worse tech buys ever, ended up putting it on craigslist.
    Sent from my xoom of death

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Never buy "retail" Dell unless you are a student or teacher because of the massive discounts and pre-loaded MS Office bundle. Otherwise, their Precision based workstations & desktops are great work horses. I have two T3400 desktops and four 380 workstations (from 2006) that are still running strong with all original parts. I don't know about the Alienware models they produce but can attest to the XPS series for gaming. I spec'd one out for my brother that he's had for nearly 6 years now and the only thing he's replaced in it is an upgrade to the video card and a second HD for storage. And always always ALWAYS pay the extra couple of bucks for the 3year support. That alone will cost as much as your HD replacement should it go bad and they are often no questions asked.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Hi,
    I'm the kid who did the chroot 'virtual machine' install that you saw, and I can tell you that the video did not give it justice. I now have it working with a bluetooth keyboard and have gotten the install to generally speed up.
    I prefer to just use the ubuntu terminal when possible, and I am going to be posting a new better quality video on using it.

In regards to dual booting.... the person who said they got Ubuntu to dual boot on the Nook color is mistaken, they where referecing to this Nook Color Gets Ubuntu! | xda-developers which is the same method I used to install Ubuntu, and uses a VNC client to connect.

Now I think that it may be possible to nativley run Ubuntu on the xoom in the future since it is an unlocked bootloader... but more importantly is we need to wait for NVIDIA to release linux4tegra... only problem with that is that it would probably force you to delete the Android install on the device. Plus drivers would need to be written which would take a while and there is a higher chance to brick your device (SBF Flashing may or may not work to fix that... I'm not an expert at that end)

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    well that's cool dude. if its running a lot faster than what it seemed like....eh.. ok. it would still be nice for just more of a seamless experience. i think the power of the device is right and being able to replace a netbook would be great. i know there's a lot of work that you -can- do with android, but there's just still some additional needs that only a full blown operating system can handle and the terminal emulators are nice and are a great start but .... you really need i would guess 20% of what a full blown OS would offer. not all of it. but a good chunk and android just doesn't have it yet. of course this also means you need a keyboard on the device too because serious production work requires a keyboard. keep up the good work and research!

Ads