• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

HDMI sound quality issues

This is a discussion on HDMI sound quality issues within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; OK thanks. I just assumed HDMI wasn't capable of carrying 5.1 because both my Sky HD box and PS3 require me to use an optical ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: HDMI sound quality issues

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    OK thanks.

I just assumed HDMI wasn't capable of carrying 5.1 because both my Sky HD box and PS3 require me to use an optical cable to output 5.1 into my surround sound system.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    @ Hippogriff, it's as if the signal is maxed out on the xoom making the signal distort prior to being reproduced by the tv speakers. This of course could be avoided by keeping the volume on the xoom turned down and using the tv as volume control. It seems that this is not possible being that there is no volume control via the xoom when connected through hdmi. It is either on or off, moving the slider does nothing. Also, it may be my imagimation, but it seems this problem was somewhat resolved in the ICS update. It's certainly not fixed, but it seems just a little better. In writing this and thinking more about it, I'm going to say I'm pretty sure this is a software issue. Hdmi hardware is fully capable of transmitting hi def video and audio. My guess would be that when the software locks the audio signal after connecting the hdmi cable that the signal is too"hot" coming out of the xoom. I have a feeling this will be fixed on the near future... or perhaps thats just wishful thinking.

By the way, other than this minor issue this thing is freekin awesome!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Problem seems to be digital clipping inside the operating system. My volume buttons do not affect HDMI volume.

This was a big disappointment to me when I tried hdmi sound. But I cured my problem by installing "Equalizer 2.02" from the market and setting all frequencies to -15db.

Result is lower output level and no clipping.

Runs in background, works with all apps: BBC iplayer etc.
    ggrant3876 likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by nibbler View Post
    Problem seems to be digital clipping inside the operating system. My volume buttons do not affect HDMI volume.

This was a big disappointment to me when I tried hdmi sound. But I cured my problem by installing "Equalizer 2.02" from the market and setting all frequencies to -15db.

Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Thanks for the information, it will useful to a lot of members.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Twitter
    It's a bird
    Quote Originally Posted by nibbler View Post

Welcome to the forum
    Thanks for sharing

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

HDMI Settings on TV

I had a similar issue with my home entertainment system and the Xoom. The sound was muffled (distorted) and mostly come out mono from the center speaker. When I selected a different setting that was not at all intuitive it fixed it. I found on my home entertainment center that selecting 7CH sound fixed all of my problems. The unit had automatically selected STEREO because that was the signal that it had detected coming from the XOOM. Now it sounds great! It only comes out of the front speakers in Stereo, but it is very good quality.
    ggrant3876 likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I had a similar issue with my home entertainment system and the Xoom. The sound was muffled (distorted) and mostly come out mono from the center speaker. When I selected a different setting that was not at all intuitive it fixed it. I found on my home entertainment center that selecting 7CH sound fixed all of my problems. The unit had automatically selected STEREO because that was the signal that it had detected coming from the XOOM. Now it sounds great! It only comes out of the front speakers in Stereo, but it is very good quality.
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Thanks for the additional information.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Ads